Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 311, 312, 313 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I had a sticking rear brake so we put it on Pats lift and he changed the rear brake hoses, fixed the problem.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
hobthebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Great job! I had to switch out my rubber lines as well when my master cylinder leaked out and left me with only front brakes... Then one of my wheel cylinders was leaking, too!

If your rear hoses were shot, I suggest replacing the master cylinder as well as all your wheel cylinders, because they might not be far behind! Safety first, my friend. A few hundred bucks and some of your time, or your very life itself...
72alpinewhitebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I started Bubba (1960 w/40hp) up after 3yrs on stands.
Blew through some really bad gas.
Static timing, mutiple belt tightenings and a clutch cable adjustment (that wing nut system always makes me chuckle). Just got him up to 55mph for the first time and after working out the kinks, he's gonna be my dd.
Tons of help getting here from The Samba community - many thanks!

72 Westy
60 Sedan
79 Vert
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

New ignition switch with new keys. No longer fearful of breaking off the only remaining key, which was a 'close' blank, modified by a professional locksmith, in the ignition.
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Added 1966 turn signal lever and dimmer relay system to my 65 this week. The foot dimmer under the clutch petal was a real pain.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Wondered why my generator light wasn't coming on....and thinking the worst. Researched possible causes here on the Samba. Checked the bulbs first, both were good. Went around to the engine and lo and behold, a loose wire. Squeezed the connection to make it a little tighter going on, hooked up and and the light is working as it should.

Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LALA4Fire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I

refurbished my OG running boards and installed my engine. 1960 beetle.
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

This was technically a week and a half ago but I took my '59 Euro (the one in the garage) to my cousin in Chattanooga, TN for some long overdue metalwork. The red Bug is his '60. He's new to VWs but a welder so we are trading out metalwork for me teaching him some things about working on the aircooleds. Cool

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikelars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I had massive clutch chatter that made me stop after 200 yards, go home, and take my split bus instead. I figured it was either

1. Loose flywheel
2. Oil on flywheel
3. Loose trans mounts
4. Problem with Bowden tube

I was praying it was #4 (or #3). Turns out the Bowden tube was flat with no bend and caused a massive amount of chatter. 2 large spacer washers fixed it - I documented the fix:

1961 VW Beetle - Bowden Tube and Clutch Chatter
https://youtu.be/pJaZyxZ1k64

Here is my 1966 Split Bus - Restoration Channel:
https://youtube.com/channel/UCPBRysmvrJlif2wzwEwiuwQ

2332 Torque Motor Build
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW_2wBCs4Ny2HwsKM9QT4LFpcSqP3QG0p

Engine Rebuild 1968cc Playlist:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW_2wBCs4Ny1JbZ2EgJQQ2awfo0koZRqz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Just an oil change and a valve adjustment. Time to wake her up for another season! I've put almost 19k on her since I put her on the road back in Aug of 08
78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
eglene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I just got my carpet kit in for my 1966 Bahama blue bug from WW.
I'm going with the synthetic charcoal with black rubber mats. It looks better than I thought.
I hope to be installing it this weekend. Just have to buy some glue and maybe sound deadener.
agramer1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Weather at last got nice so I have '66 a first spring wash and sundrying😀

1984 924
Bunch of old Jap motorbikes
Instagram & YT: #agrameroldoctane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hobthebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I reset the timing again recently. I was popping out the carb for some reason, accompanied by a stumble from idle whenever it popped. And the car was taking longer to start (turning over more than normal), so I realized it could be a timing issue and did it.

Turns out the last time I changed my points, I forgot to check the timing! WAY off, the car was running sluggish as molasses before, now it starts right up and runs like a clock. No pops or stumbles noted yet...
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I replaced the shift coupler that I had thought I already replaced. Hey, 3rd gear every time!
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

New door and quarter panels. ‘66 only style from Wolfsburg West (TMI). I hate those damned clips with a passion. 😤

Last edited by Stockholm VW on Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Stockholm VW wrote:
New door and quarter panels. ‘66 only style from Wolfsburg West (TMI). I hate those damned clips with a passion. 😤

I feel your pain - literally! I just did that last week, and my fingers are still sore. I used as many of my original clips as I could.
Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Stockholm VW wrote:

Very nice. It looks exactly like original. Except yours is wrinkle free. Very Happy
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Stockholm VW wrote:

Very nice. It looks exactly like original. Except yours is wrinkle free. Very Happy

Yeah, the TMI door cards replicate the originals very well. I’m pleased. Here’s what the old one looked like. 🫣 Pretty rough.

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Today I cleaned up and painted the VW accessory roof rack on my '66 Beetle using Dupli-Color "High Performance Wheel Coating" #HWP101 silver.
I am satisfied with the result.

65'1300Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

After 15 years of sitting next to my folks house, I dragged the carcass of my 65' to my own garage, ready to tackle the bodywork that stalled me out in Highschool!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 311, 312, 313 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Page 312 of 317

Jump to: