Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 Westfalia project
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject: 78 Westfalia project Reply with quote

This my new project 1978 Westfalia camper. Has some typical rust around the windows and few other places, nothing too serious. Mostly complete but the cabinets do have some rot. The tent needs replacing and the fiberglass top has crack that needs repairing. The engine needs to be rebuilt, I would love to do a Subaru conversion but it is just not in the budget. For those tracking costs $3200. I will be asking questions and seeking a lot of advice in the near future!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westfalia project Reply with quote

looks very typical with the bat tray rot and other places. did you find it in georgia? If so, i imagine the frame is in great shape if it lived its life in GA. My 77 is a GA bus, and although its got some body rot, (similar to yours), the frame is solid. Has a nice coating of red clay on it still. sort of a natural undercoating.

nice find. thats a good start price for a repairable camper. dont hesitate to gut the interior for a full clean and repaint. do NOT mess with trying to live with mold. You will be amazed at the places you find it as you begin disassembly.

good luck and keep posting progress. cheers.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westfalia project Reply with quote

From what I can tell it has lived most of its life in Georgia with some time in Florida. Frame is in great shape! I have already removed most of the interior and yes found mold in a few places I wasn’t expecting.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Westfalia project Reply with quote

the seat upholstry is polyester and VERY tuff stuff. I pulled the staples out and removed the covers for cleaning. A couple 5 gallon bucket soaks of TSP and then through the washing machine twice, and they came out looking like new.

wasnt expecting to find this however,

Now glad i stripped the covers off. They were in descent shape so i was just gonna try and clean in place. would have missed this lurking below.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Westfalia project Reply with quote

Did you soak the fabric in TSP? I haven’t thought about that.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Westfalia project Reply with quote

yes. in a 5 gallon bucket with a cup of TSP and some dawn. water turned black. soaked em twice and then machine washed twice.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westfalia project Reply with quote

Quick project update. Removed the interior and the pop top. Finally had a dry day and was able to pull it out of the garage and give it a good wash. There was a lot of mold. Scrubbed the cabinets and parts down as I took them out of the bus. Started to soak the cloth pieces in TSP. The first batch look good. The pop top and cabinets going to my shop to be stored until I can work on them at later date.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westfalia project Reply with quote

great start. good idea to strip down to the bone. now you can treat the floor as needed and re-stack/pack the interior one clean piece at a time. its a time consuming undertaking, but will pay dividends in fun and good times later. bravo

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westfalia project Reply with quote

looks like your bus was fitted with the gasoline heater option based on the fresh air duct under the rear seat. very nice to have in cool weather.

good looking project.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: