Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I striped away one layer of paint.

Would luv to repaint but it’s been too much fun camping the way it is.
Since back on the road it’s been keyed once and banged into many times.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SunburntLobster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

As long as the patina is 'safe' and roadworthy all is good.

my bus has a decent coating of Owatrol Rust Prevention and Paint Conditioner, it floods into all the pores and drives moisture / air out.
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

the word patina got way to carried away.

in my eyes patina on a car is sun backed where original paint is fading down to original primers and sealers, with some surface rust. and please no clears cotes to save the patina.lol
on the other note..ive striped back lots of layers on cars to reveal the original paint, sometimes the original paint is well preserved under layers of paint, but most of the time its sanded and prepped for a repaint, so that being said you can rock that look ,but its not patina,,its just a ratty cool bus now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

andre b wrote:
the word patina got way to carried away.

in my eyes patina on a car is sun backed where original paint is fading down to original primers and sealers, with some surface rust. and please no clears cotes to save the patina.lol
on the other note..ive striped back lots of layers on cars to reveal the original paint, sometimes the original paint is well preserved under layers of paint, but most of the time its sanded and prepped for a repaint, so that being said you can rock that look ,but its not patina,,its just a ratty cool bus now.

example, not patina, cool ratty
1959 kombi swivel seat im peeling back.

patina,
1953 kombi
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

If it's a combination of og paint and oxidized brown stuff that I like, it's patina. If it's a combination of og paint and oxidized brown stuff that I don't like, it's rusty.
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

I love the look of real patina, be it sun baked or just weathered old paint with some dings and dents.

What I don't like is when someone sands right through perfectly good paint to create false patina. It just looks fake.

On the other hand, there are some artists who can create fake patina which really looks real.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

An old picture of the Daddybus...the roof patina is more pronounced now

mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

I'm new to the the whole patina thing but I picked up this used book the other day. While it's not my thing, I have to say, for subtle colors and originality, nature is indeed a great painter.

DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

Ah; patina...

I am certainly of the camp that folks should do as they wish with their buses.
I do, personally, shed a tear when I see franken-buses made from otherwise salvageable buses, but I'm not going to stop anyone from doing what they want with their car, and the variety of looks of buses always fascinates me.

Our bus had plenty of cancerous roof rust that it had acquired during the 1980's.

When it finally became a reality to have our bus as a daily driver again (after being stored for years while we lived in apartments in San Francisco), I addressed the roof (for quite a pretty penny) so that the Bay Area's salt air wouldn't further the problem.

However; there's plenty of other rusty parts, there's even some bondo from the 1980's, primer too, AS WELL AS areas of OG paint.

The blemishes of the past don't look so nice to me, and yet, I am sure the markings give our bus the character it has.

When Greenlight came out with the following bug, I bought one as soon as I saw it thinking; "Finally! A realistic looking bug toy!"

I'll admit that I still dream of having our bus look off-the-assembly-line pristine again, but I just can't afford that...
Other VW owners have told me that if I did have it done, I wouldn't want to drive it 'cause it'd be so unblemished in appearance.
I disagree.
I think I'd drive as much, it not more, since it'd have ANOTHER 55 years of wear and tear to acquire.

Buggeee wrote:
I'm glad the rat rod, and patina, and "OG" scene developed. The barrier to entry into the hobby is much lower, and a cool ride is much more accessible to anyone willing to turn a wrench.

Buggeee makes an excellent point. I appreciate that 'kids today' can have a classic car and not break the bank to participate in the VW culture.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

broozebrothers wrote:
This whole Original paint patina thing has gotten outta hand .. I see cars that have been stripped of layers of repaints to put back to First paint that just look like crap and guys are like, “it’s original paint.“ Come on, it’s one thing if you have a survivor bus that has never been painted but many of these strip downs look like crap. And then they want to ask crazy prices like if the bus had a proper restoration or if it a nice survivor bus And the ones that are rusty hulks, that’s a whole other rant. So where should you draw the line? Sometimes original paint isn’t a good thing in my opinion. Sometime you just gotta let it go and paint the thing.

I think what boozebrothers was referring to would be something more like this.

Heinz Nordhoff
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

Man, the way I see it, I'm glad to see any VW out in the wild. For a while the super sparkly paint jobs were starting to be a dime a dozen. Patina is almost always unique to the vehicle, even if it was a "forced" or created patina.

Like some have said, paint and body work are super expensive, so I am glad some choose to roll it like it is even if I do feel like I'll get tetanus just walking by. Part of the VW thrill right?
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
broozebrothers wrote:
This whole Original paint patina thing has gotten outta hand .. I see cars that have been stripped of layers of repaints to put back to First paint that just look like crap and guys are like, “it’s original paint.“ Come on, it’s one thing if you have a survivor bus that has never been painted but many of these strip downs look like crap. And then they want to ask crazy prices like if the bus had a proper restoration or if it a nice survivor bus And the ones that are rusty hulks, that’s a whole other rant. So where should you draw the line? Sometimes original paint isn’t a good thing in my opinion. Sometime you just gotta let it go and paint the thing.

I think what boozebrothers was referring to would be something more like this.

Yeah, that one is too much. Needs painted or at least some easyoff and steel wool on the sides and new nose metal and the nose painted.
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

My 65 is nearly that bad (and the 70 getting there), but even I draw the line at crap falling off when parked.
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
bigdirt09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

Here’s an original patina logo bus. From 1960.

splitbus.nl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

more work than shine paint .
called it "ratina "
70% original Patina
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

^^^ Nice truck. Is that a custom bike or can one be bought looking like that? Electric?
splitbus.nl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

it,s a electric bike
Rayvolt cruiser.
you can buy it 99% looking like that
ride,s like the best

https://rayvoltbike.com/
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

Original paint is one thing. Rotting away cancer, aka rust, is another. I’ve seen VWs driving down the road and quite literally, falling apart…piece by rusted piece. Some unsafe and quite illegal. That doesn’t impress me.

Black '65 Resto-Custom S Notch 2110 cc powered
original paint Pearl White '66 Westy SO-42
Allstate single-wheel trailer project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KWZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
Original paint is one thing. Rotting away cancer, aka rust, is another. I’ve seen VWs driving down the road and quite literally, falling apart…piece by rusted piece. Some unsafe and quite illegal. That doesn’t impress me.

Totally agree. I am not into the "looks like it broke off the Titanic" look. At some point it gets stupid. I personally don't like having any perforation rust. I have a few holes in my '65 Westy that make me batshit.
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

KWZ wrote:
I am not into the "looks like it broke off the Titanic" look. At some point it gets stupid. I personally don't like having any perforation rust. I have a few holes in my '65 Westy that make me batshit.

I saw an oval so rotten the doors would fall off if opened and the pan was so trashed it was dangerous. The guy sat on a wooden bench to drive. Yet he thought he had the most bad ass VW the world had ever seen. Rolling Eyes There are some awesome OG paint or logo’d busses out there, some pictured in this thread. But when the metal itself is gone, it’s lazy, cheap or flat out dangerous. Not cool.

Black '65 Resto-Custom S Notch 2110 cc powered
original paint Pearl White '66 Westy SO-42
Allstate single-wheel trailer project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: