Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cloth to vinyl headliner change over
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddie.would.go
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject: Cloth to vinyl headliner change over Reply with quote

I'm not great with using the oacdp.org site. Can somebody tell me the change over from cloth headliners to vinyl was? Most 62's have cloth but my headliner is vinyl and appears to be original.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cloth to vinyl headliner change over Reply with quote

It may be the 2nd item here, although this would be the 1964 model year and I believe it changed for the 1963 model year so I'm a little confused:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's possible yours was replaced in the past.
If it looks very well done it may have been done by the dealer.
I'm sure if this is true for Beetles but I've seen some "original" Buses where the cloth headliner was replaced by the local dealer back in the day and the dealer used vinyl instead. "Upgraded" Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cloth to vinyl headliner change over Reply with quote

Yep, VW changed over to the leatherette headliner at the beginning of the '63 model year. A leatherette headliner in an earlier car would be a replacement.

pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Cloth to vinyl headliner change over Reply with quote

And this first leatherette headliner was 3-piece. I often see onepiece headliner in cars before 8/1963.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eddie.would.go
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Cloth to vinyl headliner change over Reply with quote

Thanks to everybody that replied. It must have been an early dealer replacement. The headliner is definitely not an 80's replacement as it has printed dots rather than the perforated dots like aftermarket headliners do.

One last question while this topic is fresh. What color fabric headliner would a black car have? As well would the B pillars be done in cloth or seat vinyl color like an oval window era car?
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Cloth to vinyl headliner change over Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/vwcolors_volume_i.php

B-pillars and area between side panel and side window are leatherette without dots or perforation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eddie.would.go
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Cloth to vinyl headliner change over Reply with quote

eddie.would.go wrote:

One last question while this topic is fresh. What color fabric headliner would a black car have? As well would the B pillars be done in cloth or seat vinyl color like an oval window era car?

Anybody know the answer to these questions?
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Cloth to vinyl headliner change over Reply with quote

My 60 black beetle has the beige headliner. Grey was also available but I don't think it came in a black car.
B pillars are covered with the same fabric as the headliner

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
Käfer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cloth to vinyl headliner change over Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/vwcolors_volume_i.php

B-pillars and area between side panel and side window are leatherette without dots or perforation.

pastellgreen already gave full answer with the link and the additional info I think.

FYI:
8.62 and up, the area between side panel and side window are leatherette with dots. 8.62 sedan:

Color in this months is silver beige as mentioned in pastellgreens link, regardless of the car color.

Perhaps you should state the month and year of car to which the question relates?

Or does "fabric" headliner in your question "What color fabric headliner would a black car have? As well would the B pillars be done in cloth or seat vinyl color like an oval window era car?" mean "cloth" headliner? Then question would precise enough, and your car would be up to 7.62.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: