Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with new 1600 build
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtrotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Help with new 1600 build Reply with quote

I am sorry, I know my question shows some naivety, but I am looking for some general guidance.

I have a great '71 Super Beetle Convertible, that is in great shape! It has a solid, recently rebuild 1600 dual port that is totally stock. Runs like a champ. I plan to keep this engine totally stock.

I am wanting to build a second engine for the car, for when I want to tow a small (and very light, about 700lbs) camping trailer. I know that towing with a beetle is not a great idea, but I am intrigued by the idea.

I am looking for some guidance on building my second motor. I have a good donor 1600 dual port that I want to build out. I am looking (hopefully) to build something that makes closer to 90-100 hp, and has more torque for towing. I have a budget of about 2k. Can anyone give me guidance, or point me in some good directions for guidance.

Some notes on me... I am a noob to this, so please be kind. Also, I know that the beetle was not build for towing, but I am looking for a fun project. If I wanted to tow at high speeds, I would use my truck!

I look forward to any help the community can offer!
minirailz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Help with new 1600 build Reply with quote

I'm intrigued by caravans and beetle's as well.
Still waiting to put a towball on my vehicle though...

I don't think you'll be able to get 100hp (or anywhere near) to pull a caravan.

You either want a lower powered engine for the long runs so you be able to cool it.
80hp+ is fun for racing or at the traffic light, but you can't keep it cool.

Often I see external oil coolers popping up, but very few think about the much hotter cylinders.

Prepare for an expensive build, or just try pulling with the current 1600.
At moderate speed it should be fine.

Dennis
ps: think about braking too!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with new 1600 build Reply with quote

I've run an 1835cc dual port engine in my own 1971 Convertible for quite a while, and like the increase in power.

Mine uses stock (original) transmission and stock pressure plate and spring disc. My cam is stock, non-counterweighted crankshaft is reground, heads were refurbished (opened for 92mm cylinders), and I run single Weber carburetor and vintage German 009 distributor. I don't race mine, but it has plenty of power.

So I say 1835cc or 1776cc could be your ticket.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with new 1600 build Reply with quote

Build a 1904 (90.5x74) mini stroker with a mild cam, ported heads, dual carbs, deep sump and full flow filter.

Keep the compression around 8.5:1 and use all factor tin and seals.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with new 1600 build Reply with quote

I would put disc brakes all around (for stopping power) and have the tranny built with the largest R&P gears (like 456 or what's available) for low end torque and to keep the motor cool a doghouse oil cooler, a deep sump, and a tach so you can keep the RPMs between 3000-4000. Your stock motor should do fine but if you are building one stock P&Cs with a 74 stroker crank, mild cam, and dual 40 carbs. for your budget.
dtrotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Help with new 1600 build Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your help!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: