Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Ghia convertable door hardware question
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
teedub27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: 1969 Ghia convertable door hardware question Reply with quote

I have a 69 Ghia convertable, and I'm rebuilding the doors (driver and passenger) I'm missing the rod that connects the inside handle to the release latch on both, but I do have one that may be the part - it's just too bent up to tell.
Does anyone know if you can just fabricate a replacement rod? I can't find any parts for sale, and the pics/diagrams I've seen so far haven't shown anything for this model year.

Any advice or information is appreciated!
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia convertable door hardware question Reply with quote

Go to the Samba Classifieds "Search" link and enter "door rod". There are quite a few offered for various models.

Try contacting Avery's Air Cooled to see if they can extract one for you from a door being parted out:

https://averysaircooled.com/

You could probably fabricate one if you can get the proper size rod stock. It might be easier to shape the bends properly if you heat it up first.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia convertable door hardware question Reply with quote

I'd think you could fabricate a rod if you couldn't find a used one, use the one from the other side as a mirror image template.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
teedub27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia convertable door hardware question Reply with quote

Thank you!! I think I'll try to fabricate one first, but if that doesn't work I'll contact the parts companies to see if they have them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: