Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tobacco barn 65 squareback
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject: tobacco barn 65 squareback Reply with quote

Bought this 65 from a local guy, sat on a farm under some sort of shelter since approx 77. For an east coast car this thing is very solid and wearing its original sea blue paint on every body panel. Going to use this thread to document the progress of it. Goal is just a fun OG paint driver and try to save as much original stuff as possible.

first thing on the list is to free up rear brakes and get a set of roller tires so I can get it inside

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One of my favorite things about buying an old car is looking through the stuff, it's like a time capsule

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: tobacco barn 65 squareback Reply with quote

oof me likey Smile
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: tobacco barn 65 squareback Reply with quote

Looks straight and complete, should be a fun project. More pics, please!

Any rust to speak of? It looks like a broken-off jack point in the frunk. Shocked
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: tobacco barn 65 squareback Reply with quote

The very rear of the pan where the battery was is rotted as expected and a small area under the left rear taillight but aside from that it's just pinholes here and there and some crustiness. I'd call it a survivor, I think whatever structure it was under undoubtedly saved it.

I found a date on one of the scraps of newspaper.... December 1965!

I'll upload more as time and daylight allows, here's a shot of the pans:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: tobacco barn 65 squareback Reply with quote

Looks mostly complete and unmolested. That last bit being the key to it all.
Have fun with it, and do try to keep it stock. Ask questions if you're not sure of anything. Keep in mind the early cars (65 and earlier) have their own unique parts (interiors) that the later cars moved away from. Looks like a nice car to go thru, so enjoy it.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: tobacco barn 65 squareback Reply with quote

Very nice find and a great color too. I hope you can stuff it in a garage to keep the rust in check until you can neutralize it.

Looking forward to seeing more when you can.
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: tobacco barn 65 squareback Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
Bought this 65 from a local guy, sat on a farm under some sort of shelter since approx 77. For an east coast car this thing is very solid and wearing its original sea blue paint on every body panel. Going to use this thread to document the progress of it. Goal is just a fun OG paint driver and try to save as much original stuff as possible.

first thing on the list is to free up rear brakes and get a set of roller tires so I can get it inside

One of my favorite things about buying an old car is looking through the stuff, it's like a time capsule

Interesting. It looks a lot like VW Blue. Post up some interior shots!

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: tobacco barn 65 squareback Reply with quote

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: tobacco barn 65 squareback Reply with quote

rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: tobacco barn 65 squareback Reply with quote

Nice find! That sea blue Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: tobacco barn 65 squareback Reply with quote

Nice! Yeah definitely looks like sea blue here:

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: tobacco barn 65 squareback Reply with quote

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: tobacco barn 65 squareback Reply with quote

Looks like your interior is complete. I spent a small fortune piecing mine together and it’s not even 100 percent correct.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: tobacco barn 65 squareback Reply with quote

it's pretty much all there, some dirtbag stole the shift knob before it was pulled from the barn but aside from that it's about as complete and unmolested (albeit filthy) as it can be .... I even found the passenger front wheel trim ring in the back under the air cleaner
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: tobacco barn 65 squareback Reply with quote

Awesome, I bet that is going to shine up nice!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: tobacco barn 65 squareback Reply with quote

That car is definitely on my bucket list. It looks to be a beautiful survivor. I'm jealous. Hopefully we get to see what you end up doing with it.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: tobacco barn 65 squareback Reply with quote

That thing is beautiful! Are you going to keep it stock?

Martin
Allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: tobacco barn 65 squareback Reply with quote

Going to be be all stock, there's just so much left intact I'm glad to just see it all pretty much as it was when it left the factory. I'm itching to get it rolling so I can get it inside but one thing at a time!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: tobacco barn 65 squareback Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
it's pretty much all there, some dirtbag stole the shift knob before it was pulled from the barn but aside from that it's about as complete and unmolested (albeit filthy) as it can be .... I even found the passenger front wheel trim ring in the back under the air cleaner

It's a Bonus you found the OG air cleaner! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: tobacco barn 65 squareback Reply with quote

For sure!

Mike Fisher wrote:
ryans65 wrote:

It's a Bonus you found the OG air cleaner! Cool

brakes must have freed themselves when I winched it on the trailer so I threw the rollers on, one step closer to getting it inside

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: