Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Push rod tube replacement, how tough is it?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Push rod tube replacement, how tough is it? Reply with quote

I looked for but did not find a reminder to be careful with those pushrod tubes using your bare hands. Very very easy to cut the shit out of your fingers and to use that old BS just ask me how I know?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Push rod tube replacement, how tough is it? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I looked for but did not find a reminder to be careful with those pushrod tubes using your bare hands. Very very easy to cut the shit out of your fingers and to use that old BS just ask me how I know?

Especially old ones with lots of rust. Tetanus shot up to date?
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Push rod tube replacement, how tough is it? Reply with quote

Quote:
PB Blaster (or something else) sprayed where the cylinders mate to the heads would help them to separate

What are you going to do if they don't? By then the cylinders have broken the base seal with the case. Then you have to pull the head with one or two cylinders 'hanging' that are still stuck to the head and pistons are now flopping down. When re-torquing the head nuts and one of the 16 head bolts pulls out of the case, then what?

Spring loaded today, drive tomorrow.

But it's your car, do what you want. Be sure to post pictures of your rebuild. Cool
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Push rod tube replacement, how tough is it? Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:
PB Blaster (or something else) sprayed where the cylinders mate to the heads would help them to separate

What are you going to do if they don't? By then the cylinders have broken the base seal with the case. Then you have to pull the head with one or two cylinders 'hanging' that are still stuck to the head and pistons are now flopping down. When re-torquing the head nuts and one of the 16 head bolts pulls out of the case, then what?

But it's your car, do what you want. Be sure to post pictures of your rebuild. Cool

You make a good argument and I can be easily swayed. Confused Laughing
Here's a picture of the car. Original paint but the top is not original.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

PO sprayed some grey paint on the heat exchangers - don't know why?

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Push rod tube replacement, how tough is it? Reply with quote

Beautiful Ghia. Heat exchangers were gray from the factory, maybe they just wanted to "freshen" them up. I would leave the pushrod tubes as they are. The one wet looking one on the thermostat side doesn't appear to be leaking from the seals. Although I can't really see the block-side seal.

Others much more experienced & knowledgeable will pipe in, in 1, 2, 3....

Marcdeb wrote:

PO sprayed some grey paint on the heat exchangers - don't know why?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Push rod tube replacement, how tough is it? Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:

X2 this is tough love
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Push rod tube replacement, how tough is it? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
runamoc wrote:
Quote:

X2 this is tough love

For sure the tubes are not the main issue with the leaks but while the engine is out and being cleaned up, it would be nice to take care of them as well. The front main seal (transaxle end) was leaking and the Torque converter seal (it's an Autostick) was the worst leak. Bottom of transaxle was coated in ATF. Changing those was not difficult at all.

Looks like the Oil Cooler seals are leaking bad enough but I haven't gotten to that yet. Now I'm googling spring loaded tubes to see what's the best ones to get? Think Any opinions?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod tube replacement, how tough is it? Reply with quote

The. Stainless steel windage push rod tubes are the best . Also you should pull the cylinders to reseal with ultra grey or bond one works good. Do you know the history of the engine. On a car this nice I would do it the best way.. Good Luck.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod tube replacement, how tough is it? Reply with quote

vwoldbug wrote:
The. Stainless steel windage push rod tubes are the best . Also you should pull the cylinders to reseal with ultra grey or bond one works good. Do you know the history of the engine. On a car this nice I would do it the best way.. Good Luck.

I have the birth certificate. The car arrived in NY and spent most of it's life in the vicinity of New York City, specifically Long Island and CT. I am the 3rd owner. Engine is all original. I have a few oil change service stickers on the door jamb that states it had 12,812 miles on 4-7-78. First owner died and his mother couldn't part with the car so it stayed in her garage for quite a few years. She finally sold it in 1997. I have the NY title/registration when the 2nd owner bought it. She never renewed the registration after it ran out in 1999 and the car stayed in her garage except for short drives now and then.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod tube replacement, how tough is it? Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Now I'm googling spring loaded tubes to see what's the best ones to get? Think Any opinions?

Stock versions are the best. I use some loctite 515 on the gaskets when installing them. Or some Permatex Right Stuff.

On the oil cooler seals I only use the 515.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: