Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

While 1968 lacked the defroster window option (PO added the defroster window), VW had the wiring holes present in my September 1967 build

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I figure these will need to be welded close
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

All great plans of mice, men, and that my wife doesn't bury under the garage floor are hanging on the contents in this box -

And, I finally received the two (2) air filter canisters to help battle the SWFL humidity when we go to use the plasma cutter and later paint the body

Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

After removing a fair amount of rust / sludge / 6V solenoid cut off valve, I thought best to let a pro handle the carb rebuild.

SOLEX 30 PICT-3 packaged and sent off to Tim for rebuild.

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

I have that Motorguard toilet paper filter on my air compressor and it works great.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
I have that Motorguard toilet paper filter on my air compressor and it works great.

For southwest Florida - it's nearly impossible to keep the air dry - just short of buying a refrigerator system - which seems a bit overkill for my garage.

I have two (2) MotorGuards in parallel with the 60 ahead of the 30. I added a smaller filter system to the plasma cutter just for kicks.
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

Gantry crane is done and up. Waiting on 2x3 angle from my old company so I can drill it and then attach the Harbour Freight electric hoist to the I-beam.

When the hoist is operable, lift & mount the engine to Kevin Kraum's 4-arm yoke and then drill out the slots for the engine stand.

Funny I "restored" the 1965 VW Beetle in a garage 1/2 the size of my current garage AND had my second FJ40 project on going too.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

Be careful with that crane, it doesn’t look very sturdy, much less have a large enough base should the body get a bit of sway when raised a bit.

And if those casters are steel, they will give that epoxy floor hell.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Be careful with that crane, it doesn’t look very sturdy, much less have a large enough base should the body get a bit of sway when raised a bit.

I thought as much on stability. That said, I hung off of the Titan and it’s surprisingly sturdy.

But I hear you on the sway factor, I’ll raise the body and immediately place it on a cart for storage. My wife can easily manage spotting.

As for the epoxy floors, any suggestions on managing that one? I also have the engine stand with similar wheels.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

Semper Gumby wrote:
As for the epoxy floors, any suggestions on managing that one? I also have the engine stand with similar wheels.

I use sheets of MDF on top of the floor to keep it from getting damaged.
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
I use sheets of MDF on top of the floor to keep it from getting damaged.

Never thought to use fiberboard - are you using 1/4", 1/2" or 3/4"?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

Semper Gumby wrote:

Cover it with several sheets of plywood, at least until the heavy shit is done.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Cover it with several sheets of plywood, at least until the heavy shit is done.

"For the want of a nail" - my wife thought it would be cheaper for me to hire the day labor guys that sit outside of the Home Depot

it is starting to seem so.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

Semper Gumby wrote:
my wife thought it would be cheaper for me to hire the day labor guys that sit outside of the Home Depot

Definitely, except the part that you would be inviting the unknown into your space. Confused

Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Semper Gumby wrote:
my wife thought it would be cheaper for me to hire the day labor guys that sit outside of the Home Depot

Definitely, except the part that you would be inviting the unknown into your space. Confused

The supervisors are up to the task Wink

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

You must have defective chocolate labs, most of them are only dangerous if you were a ham sandwich. Laughing

Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

Just need to mount the hoist and then we can get to the next phase with this Bug

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

just following along here and find I have good reason to be happy with my crappy oil-stained cement floor Smile
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

The boss lady wanted to take the FJ40 out for Valentine's Day date. So, I burned a weekend performing an excorcism on my FJ40's electrical system, I never anticipated it would take as long. I paid for my mistake of leaving the original wiring harness in tact during the rebuild.

Back to the less complicated VW Very Happy -

Best laid plans of mice and men at it again, prior to removing the fuel tank - I tripled checked the fuel line's viability to hold these fuel line clamps. Seemed good and flexible (cleared clamps of brake line before lifting)

But Murphy's law struck me

The line break resulted in a 1/2 gallon of gas on the floor (kept in tank to keep rust off the bottom) which forced the garage supervisor to call it a day

Earlier in my vehicle search, a forum member posted to look for a mouse nest - well found parts of it

And more wasps

And rust where water collected during the Bug's long sleep

And the PO must have had a special wrench for this one

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

Semper Gumby wrote:

And the PO must have had a special wrench for this one

That’s pretty common. 7mm removes the bleeder valve, then you can get a 14mm flare wrench on the hose. It does help to tighten the hose a bit further so that the flat provides a bit more clearance.

Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

I can only imagine what the shop supervisor is thinking besides my wife is the one that drilled the holes Wink

The gantry crane & electric hoist is a game changer for this aging Marine

Not much more the shop supervisor could give today -

He seemed peeved that the first mate forgot his IPAs for the trip

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: