Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Beetle engine pull adventure
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

My case mating surfaces are discolored and look bad but I cleaned them several times with solvent and don't feel any rough spots or scratches.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:
My case mating surfaces are discolored and look bad but I cleaned them several times with solvent and don't feel any rough spots or scratches.

Ya, good to be gentle with those. They are only virgin once.

Looks good to me, being supreme commander monkey with a typewriter posting on the interwebs.

Don't forget the lifters in the top half! (please don't ask me why I'm thinking about that).

I think there is a cam bearing or two and a main bearing that goes up top as well.

Sooooooo.... close! Very Happy Popcorn
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
O rings go under rocker arms later.

Ah! You're right.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

The second half of #2 main can be used just prior to close up to confirm bearings are firmly on the dowel pins so as not to crush a bearing.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Are you reusing the old lifters? The pictures make them look pretty bad. If your resusing them, did they go back in the same place? Did you put them face to face to see if they had any dome left?
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Are you reusing the old lifters? The pictures make them look pretty bad. If your resusing them, did they go back in the same place? Did you put them face to face to see if they had any dome left?

Yes those are the previous. They all looked exactly alike, clean and shiny, but the pictures have weird reflections on some so they look black.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

Yes those are the previous. They all looked exactly alike, clean and shiny, but the pictures have weird reflections on some so they look black.

yep I had them marked so all went back in the same places.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Sorry, I haven't been paying attention.

Did you already do a sanity alignment check on your oil pump ports? And also a cam-to-drive tang check on your oil pump. Jus checking.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Sorry, I haven't been paying attention.

Did you already do a sanity alignment check on your oil pump ports? And also a cam-to-drive tang check on your oil pump. Jus checking.

No, and I don't know what any of that means. Shocked

I figured I would install the oil pump when I start to put the case together, putting it back same way it came out.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you're reusing your old oil pump and old cam.

It's a good time to lay your oil pump in both halves of the case now, one side at a time, and verify that the inlet port to the oil pump and the outlet port from the oil pump align well and (ideally) directly over their respective ports on the case. Sometimes, if there is misalignment, some slight tapering of one or the other is advised to help "funnel" the oil through the port(s) to prevent turbulence and flow issues from arising.

Similarly, you want to ensure that you have adequate drive-tang depth engagement of your oil pump drive shaft into the arse-end of your camshaft. Now is a good time to confirm all goodness in those areas.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
I'm not sure if you're reusing your old oil pump and old cam.

It's a good time to lay your oil pump in both halves of the case now, one side at a time, and verify that the inlet port to the oil pump and the outlet port from the oil pump align well and (ideally) directly over their respective ports on the case. Sometimes, if there is misalignment, some slight tapering of one or the other is advised to help "funnel" the oil through the port(s) to prevent turbulence and flow issues from arising.

Similarly, you want to ensure that you have adequate drive-tang depth engagement of your oil pump drive shaft into the arse-end of your camshaft. Now is a good time to confirm all goodness in those areas.

ok will do. thanks busstom
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:
Getting close to closing up so lf you see anything strange give me a shout. Thanks.

Installed fuel pump, sanded base to get 13mm high point recommend by Bill at Sparxwerkz.

My gasket kit has some smaller grommets (4 ) left over but I don't see where they were used before. I put the 6 big ones on the 6 large case studs.

Hold on a sec!
The #2 rod looks like it oriented incorrectly. The little bump appear to be facing downward. Check that! It might just be a shadow in the image.

And yes check your oil pump clearance to the cam gear fasteners. Before closing the case up.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

[quote="67rustavenger"
Hold on a sec!
The #2 rod looks like it oriented incorrectly. The little bump appear to be facing downward. Check that! It might just be a shadow in the image.
[/quote]

I marked rod bumps with white.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

I was looking here and that song used to play in a Heinz Ketchup commercial. Maybe it fits because you checking twice anticipation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NwP3wes4M8
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Oil pump examination.

I see a shiny worn spot on the driver.

And did I read somewhere that the "driven sprocket" is suppose to have a visible dot(indention) on a gear tooth to show which side out?

Haven't gotten around to testing "oil pump clearance to the cam gear fasteners." Reading up on oil pump evaluation.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:
Oil pump examination. I see a shiny worn spot on the driver.

I've seen way worse !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

a chip at exit hole. Would this interfere with oil flow or cause leak?

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:
[quote="67rustavenger"
Hold on a sec!

I marked rod bumps with white.

[/quote]
Smart man! Wink

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:
a chip at exit hole. Would this interfere with oil flow or cause leak?

No but that pump looks worn pretty bad.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 43

Jump to: