Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any 6V led tail light bulbs for splits?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronss96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject: Any 6V led tail light bulbs for splits? Reply with quote

I have a 52 cc split and looking to upgrade the tail lights to 6V LED bulbs. I did the dual filament set up but was wondering if anyone has found a dual 6V LED bulb that fits in the tail light housing. I see a few listed but not sure if they fit under the lens correctly. Has anyone done this?
Thanks!!
2016 ATS-V COUPE
chthemonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Any 6V led tail light bulbs for splits? Reply with quote

there's this company here in the uk www.classiccarleds.co.uk/ I was looking at there 12v ones to try in my 51
SteveW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Any 6V led tail light bulbs for splits? Reply with quote

chthemonkey wrote:
there's this company here in the uk www.classiccarleds.co.uk/ I was looking at there 12v ones to try in my 51

I have their 6v versions on my '51. I have a dual filament brake light set-up and also use a single filament version for the central brake light. It's a great improvement over stock.
Ronss96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Any 6V led tail light bulbs for splits? Reply with quote

SteveW wrote:
chthemonkey wrote:

I have their 6v versions on my '51. I have a dual filament brake light set-up and also use a single filament version for the central brake light. It's a great improvement over stock.

Do you still have the part numbers you used? Sounds like you did exactly what I'd like to do.
2016 ATS-V COUPE
SteveW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Any 6V led tail light bulbs for splits? Reply with quote

Ronss96 wrote:
SteveW wrote:
chthemonkey wrote:

Do you still have the part numbers you used? Sounds like you did exactly what I'd like to do.

Yes, the dual filaments are 6VSTRNEG and the single brake light is 6V15S21RED.

If you need any help with shipping let me know. The U.K. postal service is a mess at the moment so I think a courier like UPS would be a better option.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Any 6V led tail light bulbs for splits? Reply with quote

SteveW wrote:
If you need any help with shipping let me know. The U.K. postal service is a mess at the moment so I think a courier like UPS would be a better option.

Oh nooooo! If I only have read it before.... this morning I sent a parcel via DHL with a pearl white glovebox door to paintman for the correct fromula and now fear, it won't arrive....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Any 6V led tail light bulbs for splits? Reply with quote

^ I think items sent to UK are ok but may take a bit longer. fingers crossed

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Ronss96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Any 6V led tail light bulbs for splits? Reply with quote

SteveW wrote:
Ronss96 wrote:
SteveW wrote:
chthemonkey wrote:

Yes, the dual filaments are 6VSTRNEG and the single brake light is 6V15S21RED.

Thanks bud! That’s exactly the info I needed. I appreciate the help!!
2016 ATS-V COUPE
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Any 6V led tail light bulbs for splits? Reply with quote

The Post Office system here in the UK was hacked by Russian Ransomware criminals in early January, and are just getting back to normality: https://www.computerweekly.com/news/365530230/Roya...ber-attack

Royal Mail has successfully restored almost all of its international services following the 10 January LockBit ransomware attack on its systems, but remains unable to accept new parcels bought at physical Post Office branches, although customers can drop off items for which they have bought postage online.

In an update posted today (6th Feb), Royal Mail said it was making progress despatching more items to more destinations.

“We continue to make progress in exporting an increasing number of items to a growing number of international destinations,” the organisation said.

“We are using alternative solutions and systems, which are not affected by the recent cyber incident and have been successfully despatching parcels and letters which were in our network before the cyber incident and our services which have recently reopened.

“As a result of this progress and the continuing growth in capability of our alternative export solutions, we have announced the restoration of many International export services.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whatsthatsmoke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Any 6V led tail light bulbs for splits? Reply with quote

SteveW wrote:
chthemonkey wrote:

Did you use Leds from them for the headlights and semaphores as well? Would be interested in the part numbers.
SteveW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Any 6V led tail light bulbs for splits? Reply with quote

Whatsthatsmoke wrote:
SteveW wrote:
chthemonkey wrote:

Did you use Leds from them for the headlights and semaphores as well? Would be interested in the part numbers.

Headlights I haven’t no but I did try the semaphore bulbs, they didn’t work very well on my ‘51 however they worked perfect on my friends ‘60. So maybe that’s a quirk of my older wiring? The ‘60 wiring was all new, the flashing bulbs looked great in the semaphores.
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Any 6V led tail light bulbs for splits? Reply with quote

Whatsthatsmoke wrote:
SteveW wrote:
chthemonkey wrote:

Hey all. Just a note on the headlights, I have done this but it was a bit of a ball ache... I really struggled to find any bulbs that were short enough to fit in the headlight bucket, with a hella connector (which was the lowest profile option out there)

It could be my wings, which are early 80's Italian repro ones... or so I was told... so the buckets may not be quite so deep.

My solution was to cut the bulb terminals slightly, which was easier than I had thought it would be, and make some individual connectors with rubber insulation caps.

All is working now, if I get a moment / interest I will dig out the bits and pieces I used and post here. Only thing was the shortest bulb I could find is in a slightly more 'modern' white colour, not crazy white, but not a vintage glow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: