Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wiring help- igntion kill switch for 89 cabriolet
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pointillist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject: wiring help- igntion kill switch for 89 cabriolet Reply with quote

OK- my cabby has been broken into a few times, with a somewhat recent attempt to steal (I live in Portland, OR). Luckily, the last time the battery was out of the car (and the car has a fuel pump kill switch which they found, but I have now hidden a lot better..).

I want to add an ignition kill, and it's good timing since I'm currently replacing the ignition cylinder and switch which got broken out. I'm looking at the Bentley and trying to decipher the wiring coming out of my ignition switch. There are large gauge red, red/black, and black writes, and smaller gauge yellow/black, black, and red/brown. Reading Bentley, I get what the larger gauges ones do, and I think the yellow/black is the load balancer relay, and I can surmise black is ground, but red/brown also seems to be ground in Bentley (unless I'm reading it wrong). If I was going to tap into a wire to interrupt ignition, and I didn't want to tape into a really high current wire, do folks have suggestions about where to tap?

Thanks much!
Social Links
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring help- igntion kill switch for 89 cabriolet Reply with quote

Why not tap into the power for the Hall Sender, then no signal from the dist. Or you could tap into power to the coil. There are a few ways to prevent the coil trigger from happening or firing.

You could also prevent the fuel pump from running, if it is a CIS car, they die almost immediately when the fuel pump is cut, where a digi car can run 30-45 seconds after the pump is shut off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: