Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking to import Beetle from Brazil
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to import Beetle from Brazil Reply with quote

Why not fly down and then take a road trip? Wink
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to import Beetle from Brazil Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing but then again... personal safety could be an issue coming up through Central America and Mexico. If you had good advice about the route to take it could be a good option.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to import Beetle from Brazil Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I was thinking the same thing but then again... personal safety could be an issue coming up through Central America and Mexico. If you had good advice about the route to take it could be a good option.

Yeah, you would make it all the way to Orange County then get jacked….
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to import Beetle from Brazil Reply with quote

Being from eastern Canada I highly doubt he would go through California at all and certainly not Orange County Florida if that's the one you mean. But I am not that familiar with your highways. I certainly would avoid that state.
Canadian_Fusca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to import Beetle from Brazil Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:
At best sell it in a few years and get my money back for the next project.

Nope. If you can’t afford to buy it and walk away, don’t do it unless you are finished with retirement saving.

Finished means 50k by your age 30, or the same amount when you were 30, grown by the SP500 gain from that age. Correct for extreme variations like 2009 by averaging +-1 year gain/loss

I can afford it but already having a Mustang I drag race, a Fiat 126p I imported from Poland and now potentially a Lafer and a Beetle it would be in my best interest to try to break even on toys I’m likely to flip down the road or at least not loose my shirt.
That being said, I’m not looking for a flip but we all get new projects on our minds and sometimes somethings got to go.
Canadian_Fusca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to import Beetle from Brazil Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I would look for another shipper, those prices are robbery!

Agreed. It’s the only potential deal breaker at the moment.
The crazy thing is I have some connections to a shipping guy and he himself is well connected and couldn’t come up with better. I did find one guy located in Brazil that is a bit cheaper, mostly if we buy the 2 cars and ship them together but he’s a little sketchy…. What do you do? lol
Canadian_Fusca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to import Beetle from Brazil Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
Canadian_Fusca wrote:
T...$10,000 Canadian a car shipped to Canada. ...

So how this idea about the Brazilian beetle is we want to bring over the Lafer and while we were there I thought “hey how about a Lafer and a beetle”
But right now I’m at the cross roads of either just spending the $10,000 to import her fathers car for us…

It may not be 2x the shipping price for two cars, as others have said check out other shipping companies.

There was a fellow in Georgetown who had 2 buses imported from Brazil last year. He was at the K/W (Kitchener-Waterloo) show with one of them (for sale). Unfortunately I did not have a chance to talk to him, but maybe you could contact him to discuss his experience. Luckily I took a pic of the phone number:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Awesome! I will try to do that. Thank you!
Canadian_Fusca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to import Beetle from Brazil Reply with quote

finster wrote:
that lafer looks really tidy and worth the import hassle as it has the family connection.

this quote is from canuck kombi in another thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

"So an overdue update. Purchased the Kombi and it shipped out of Brazil mid-October. It arrived in Vancouver BC at the end of November. Now here comes the snag. This was the first vehicle that Kombi Brazil had shipped to Canada so they didn’t have a broker at this end to help with customs etc at this end. Their price took this into account (shipping to the US and UK, the broker fees are included in their quoted price) I knew this going in and was given an estimate from my Canadian broker of between $1600 and $2000. Got it. Or I thought I did. I didn’t attach the significance of the per diem once the container was unloaded from the ship. Cost per day approx $250. Days the container sat on the dock before it got through customs? 17. You do the math. I couldn’t dispute it or negotiate as I would have continued to be charged by the day. On one hand I get it, but on the other, it seems like a bit of a crapshoot as well as a license to print money. All told, fees at this end were slightly over $7000. Expensive lesson. Regardless, I am extremely happy with the purchase."

I will read the whole thread about this. Thank you
Canadian_Fusca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to import Beetle from Brazil Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
Why not fly down and then take a road trip? Wink

Funny enough I made that joke and considered it LOL
If I could do it with my comfortable F150 with the Lafer on my trailer I would!
The Lafer or a beetle… that would be a real tough drive lol
Canadian_Fusca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to import Beetle from Brazil Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
oprn wrote:

Yeah, you would make it all the way to Orange County then get jacked….

😂
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to import Beetle from Brazil Reply with quote

You can buy just as good in Canada or USA without the drama/expense!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to import Beetle from Brazil Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
You can buy just as good in Canada or USA without the drama/expense!

Easy to say from your location. I suspect you have no idea whatsoever what 6 months/year of salt brine driving does after 50 years of service on old cars! A good body on 10 or 15 year old cars is increasingly hard to find here on the dry prairies. In the Ontario rust belt it's more like 5 years.
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to import Beetle from Brazil Reply with quote

I've never shipped a car so I'm clueless but would shipping to the US (say NY) and then figuring out how to get it home from there be a potentially more viable/cost effective option?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to import Beetle from Brazil Reply with quote

I would suspect there is little difference as to where it's shipped. The cost to load it in a container and onto the ship, the the same at the other end would be the same. From there it's just a time difference.

This last car we have bought in Japan is taking a bit longer than normal to ship. It seems the delay is in ongoing disruptions in the shipping industry that is effecting the shipping of all goods now but the price has not been effected. We are still getting the car plus the shipping for just a bit north of $6K all inclusive. I don't know how that breaks down. Is it a $500 car and the rest shipping or $500 for the shipping and the rest car? Our import broker does not say.

To me it matters not. A rust free 18 year old VW does not exist here at any price. And the under 100K km is a bonus! I told him I would go as high as $10K for a clean one but he found this one cheaper.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to import Beetle from Brazil Reply with quote

Comparing today's shipping prices to only a couple of years ago is irrelevant.

I had a customer in the shipping industry tell me, almost 2 years ago, that the usage cost of $4,000 for a shipping container to move freight before covid was $24,000 at the time we spoke. I'm sure it hasn't gone back down to $4,000.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to import Beetle from Brazil Reply with quote

Is your shipping quote for everything? Just the shipping should be about 3k which you can share with another person. Don't forget there's other things to do on the export and import side.

It would be better if you shared freight with a friend or someone else. What port are you bringing it out of and into?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: