Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seam Sealer & POR15
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:16 pm    Post subject: Seam Sealer & POR15 Reply with quote

I replaced my battery tray and welded in a new one.
Standard procedure would be to seal up the patched borderline inside and out with body panel sealant then coat the whole thing with POR15.
By doing that I may get some rust oxidizers trapped under the seam sealant.
Is it better to use the POR15 before and after the seam sealant to get to any residual that might be under the overlapped areas?

Thx.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Seam Sealer & POR15 Reply with quote

It's better to not use POR15 at all. It sucks. If its all clean metal; prep it, prime it with an epoxy sealer, seam seal, black paint.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Seam Sealer & POR15 Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
It's better to not use POR15 at all. It sucks. If its all clean metal; prep it, prime it with an epoxy sealer, seam seal, black paint.

Greetings from CT. Dubwerks.
What is the story with your buddy up in Stafford. he doesn't want to reply to any IM's or sell parts?
ISO front bumper blade for a 67.

Surrounding area is lightly rusted, POR15 is great stuff. It chemically neutralizes rust and kills it. I have seen the proof and using it.
Question was seal and POR15 or POR15,Seal,POR15?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Seam Sealer & POR15 Reply with quote

Paint first, seal second.

Sealing does not stop rust so paint first.

POR15 does not stick well to unrusty steel. Better to leave it flash rust, then treat with their rust treatment/phosphoric acid/Ospho to produce iron phosphate which is a tenacious primer then POR 15/KBS/any other moisture cured polyurethane!

Alternative for fresh steel is the epoxy route expressed above.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Seam Sealer & POR15 Reply with quote

Bug53 wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

Greetings from CT. Dubwerks.
What is the story with your buddy up in Stafford. he doesn't want to reply to any IM's or sell parts?
ISO front bumper blade for a 67.

Surrounding area is lightly rusted, POR15 is great stuff. It chemically neutralizes rust and kills it. I have seen the proof and using it.
Question was seal and POR15 or POR15,Seal,POR15?

Hi! Couldn't tell you about him selling parts or any of that, that's his thing. If you're set on using POR, I'd use it first, then seam seal it.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Seam Sealer & POR15 Reply with quote

[quote="67ctbug"][quote="Bug53"]
67ctbug wrote:
If you're set on using POR, I'd use it first, then seam seal it.

Thx.
I agree with you totally on your approach with the epoxy based primer.
I don't have the paint finishing resources to avail for such a small job.
See you at the CTVWA events.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: