Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel tank repair
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:27 pm    Post subject: Fuel tank repair Reply with quote

I just picked up a fuel tank from an early 50's beetle and there is a hole near the bung for the fuel pick up. It looks like it's been repaired before in the same area seeing at there is Silver Solder or something similar in place.

How would you guys go about repairing this? I looked inside the tank and it doesn't look too rusty and it's been years since fuel was ever in there so I feel safe with a flame near it. I can braze OK or I can pick up some solder and try the repair. I think MIG would blow holes even with 0.25" wire.

I'll post some pics soon but was hoping for some input as I wait.

Thanks, NAES
SBS #00
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank repair Reply with quote

There are epoxy based fuel tank repair kits available now.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fuel+tank+repair+k...&dpr=1

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
simon varley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank repair Reply with quote

braze or solder will be fine if the rest of the tank is ok. the sealing kits are good but quite expensive, and prep is critical.

if you braze and it doesn't work you can always epoxy seal. can't do it the other way around without a lot of grief
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: