Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How many Split 11E cars remain? (Standard sunroof LHD)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How many Split 11E cars remain? (Standard sunroof LHD) Reply with quote

sinclair wrote:
I've found 7 plus 2 zwitters. Any more anyone?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That is my old 11E. In California since 2018 and very close to getting paint now. It is in the right hands and will an absolute top notch resto AND it will be DRIVEN.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How many Split 11E cars remain? (Standard sunroof LHD) Reply with quote

BTW, back when I had it, I could only find 5 others. Very rare split.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YuichiroM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How many Split 11E cars remain? (Standard sunroof LHD) Reply with quote

Hello.
sinclair wrote:
For the record, as far as I can tell the original colour for BAoR cars was MID BRONZE GREEN BS223. Also used on the early land rovers.

A question.
By the birth certificate L13(Middle Green).

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1073509
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1076756

A photograph before the restore. Fade?

A color of the existing BAoR car is dark Green.
Is "MID BRONZE GREEN BS223" a color same as "L13"?
https://paintman.co.uk/shop/mid-bronze-green-bs223-standard-colour/

The restore which I succeeded from sinclair.
I am going to look for it where in Body an original color remains.

Light green? Dark green? Interesting Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: How many Split 11E cars remain? (Standard sunroof LHD) Reply with quote

“By the birth certificate L13(Middle Green). “
Yes but the certificates are notoriously wrong. Middle green L13 is very different, but I the nearest in name on the ‘52 factory paint list. The photo you have there is from its war games days, but there was some original paint on the roof, which first alerted me to the cars history.
Interestingly option M003 is now recognised as ignition delete by the factory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: How many Split 11E cars remain? (Standard sunroof LHD) Reply with quote

Original paint exposed on the left of roof.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YuichiroM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How many Split 11E cars remain? (Standard sunroof LHD) Reply with quote

sinclair wrote:
Original paint exposed on the left of roof.

When I tear off the painting, I confirm it.

sinclair wrote:
Interestingly option M003 is now recognised as ignition delete by the factory.

Yes. lovely Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How many Split 11E cars remain? (Standard sunroof LHD) Reply with quote

Previous M-code 003 discussion in the Forums
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=381528

You posted this

This M-code 003 description is for a Type 3
It is a mistake for a 1951 Beetle
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Oldfart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How many Split 11E cars remain? (Standard sunroof LHD) Reply with quote

sinclair wrote:
Here's another, British army Zwitter by the look of it. Anyone know it?

Were they ever that shiny?
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: How many Split 11E cars remain? (Standard sunroof LHD) Reply with quote

Yes. Gloss paint used by the 50’s.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: How many Split 11E cars remain? (Standard sunroof LHD) Reply with quote

YuichiroM wrote:

what's that boss on the steering wheel for?

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
YuichiroM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How many Split 11E cars remain? (Standard sunroof LHD) Reply with quote

?

shampoo cap?
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: How many Split 11E cars remain? (Standard sunroof LHD) Reply with quote

I've been trying to collect anecdotes from British veterans stationed in Germany at the Time. It may be of interest to BAoR car owners so Ill post them here as I get them. A couple to start with.

"Back in the late 60s when stationed in Verden-Aller I was a third part owner of a 1949 split rear screen, recall a scrap yard with several RHD former German Post Beetles with only a drivers seat, so ideal to jump on to pavement for deliveries/collections, they were in a very sorry state!"

"As a child I was in Germany in the early 50s. My father was clerk of works in the REs so we were attached to a number of regiment s over that time. East Surreys, Brunswick, 12 Royal Lancers Wolfenbuttel and subsequently Hannover before moving to the Hook of Holland. All during the time in Germany my father had a German driver who used to appear every day in the same model of VW as your picture shows. Split rear windscreen givaway. My guess is there was a transport pool where the factory delivered to and then they were dispatched to various places/regiments. I can remember being in the back of one and being worried about going around corners too fast as the rear swing axle suspension would have you off the road unexpectedly..."

Last edited by sinclair on Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Oldfart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How many Split 11E cars remain? (Standard sunroof LHD) Reply with quote

sinclair wrote:

Yes but THAT shiny?
the dominator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How many Split 11E cars remain? (Standard sunroof LHD) Reply with quote

sinclair wrote:
I've been trying to collect anecdotes from British veterans stationed in Germany at the Time. It may be of interest to BAoR car owners so Ill post them here as I get them. A couple to start with.
..."

Very cool stories! Keep them coming.
1988 T3 doka synco 2.1WBX
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: How many Split 11E cars remain? (Standard sunroof LHD) Reply with quote

And two more.

Yes 17 RVD supplied new & used vehicles to units throughout BAOR and there were hundreds of those little VW Beetles there.
Engine in the back, no fuel guage and a bloody awful gearbox.

Was 17 Base Vehicle Depot the main supplier of new vehicles to all BAOR units?
From my memory of 1951-1952 Munchengladbach was where we collected our Bedford trucks, I did not go there.
Did this unit also handle the Volkswagens; our Major had a VW and we seemed to have a new one about every 6 months, at that time the German people could not buy a new one, so the Army had them first and then sold second hand to Germans. [After a repaint!!!]
Those early VW models suspension was not the best, a bit unstable on corners.
Our unit wrote one off when a chair "flew" out of a top floor window landing onto the roof, a dasty dent.

Good times,
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: How many Split 11E cars remain? (Standard sunroof LHD) Reply with quote

Oldfart wrote:
sinclair wrote:

Yes but THAT shiny?

this looks quite shiny to me and the sarg' would want to see his face in it - oi! get yer muddy boot off that bumper lad!

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How many Split 11E cars remain? (Standard sunroof LHD) Reply with quote

The 51 BAOR model I have, has plenty of the original paint in places, like under the headlining, and yes, it's surprisingly shiny. Not a mirror finish, but not too far off, even after all of these years. We tend to think of military vehicles as being matt, or semi-matt, but these weren't being used under conflict situations, and so need for that.
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: How many Split 11E cars remain? (Standard sunroof LHD) Reply with quote

For those on social media (I’m no expert) we now have a Facebook page for ease of access.
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How many Split 11E cars remain? (Standard sunroof LHD) Reply with quote

🤩 🤩 🤩 🤤 🤤 🤤

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How many Split 11E cars remain? (Standard sunroof LHD) Reply with quote

Another memory from the BAoR.
“ We used to have these VWs in the vehicle pool in BAOR,you could hire them out,with driver,for 6p(yes SIXPENCE)a day.Some of the kids in my Regt were born in the back of these on their long trips to BMH Hannover!
And I was the proud owner of one of these VWs with the split rear window,I bought it with 171,000KMs on the clock,when I traded it in in UK for a new VW it had done a total of just under 300,000kms,and in the time I had it the only repair was one spark plug went kaputt.Wish I had kept the old one in preservation,would be worth a bit today!
------
Don”
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: