Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barndoor brake Reservoir ?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kasten68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor brake Reservoir ? Reply with quote

My NOS one for reference

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor brake Reservoir ? Reply with quote

Cool
Any sign of seal 25?

Looking for a source for that lid rubber seal 24, if anyone has one
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor brake Reservoir ? Reply with quote

Two gaskets stacked? Thats unusual.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor brake Reservoir ? Reply with quote

I'm wondering if it's metal too since it's not black
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor brake Reservoir ? Reply with quote

I wonder if this has something to do with helping to undo the cap. The aluminium caps are known to really freeze solid. Add brake fluid and moisture and a rubber seal. 2 layers of seals may help in reducing friction.

That NOS master cyl. must be one of the ultimate BD/WB collectibles ! It should be displayed at a museum !!! It is just so strikingly beautiful ( along with the design of the original ATE boxing) Exclamation Embarassed

(total nerd mode).

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor brake Reservoir ? Reply with quote

I think it looks cool too 🙂
What’s people’s advice to stop the lid seizing?
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor brake Reservoir ? Reply with quote

100% agree, stunning, get that into a display case Cool

djfordmanjack wrote:
I wonder if this has something to do with helping to undo the cap. The aluminium caps are known to really freeze solid. Add brake fluid and moisture and a rubber seal. 2 layers of seals may help in reducing friction.

That NOS master cyl. must be one of the ultimate BD/WB collectibles ! It should be displayed at a museum !!! It is just so strikingly beautiful ( along with the design of the original ATE boxing) Exclamation Embarassed

(total nerd mode).

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor brake Reservoir ? Reply with quote

In general I like to use Liqui Moly copper grease ( or any other brake caliper copper grease) just make sure you just put it only on the cap and cup threads, and under no circumstance, let it get into/ mix it with brake fluid ( alcoholic based DOT3)!
You can lube the rubber seal with any good conventional brake cup assembly paste ( I like to use og ATE).
Or you can do away with it all and used DOT 5.0 silicone brake fluid. I have done it many times and works great, but you have to make sure to either clean out/flush the entire system thoroughly from old DOT3 brake fluid, or assemble with all completely new brake parts ( cylinders, hoses and lines) to be safe.
It is great ! especially when using rare and precious NOS components, and on cars that are mostly garaged and rarely driven. From my own experience I have to say it is recommended to also replace DOT5.0 every 5 years or so, because, on an open circuit ( all our old master cylinders have a breather cap), dampness can and will get into the system as well, and with silicone, it will not mix with the brake fluid, but instead collect at the lowest points ( wheel cylinders). I like to use Harley Davidson DOT5.0 silicone.

RockStock wrote:
I think it looks cool too 🙂
What’s people’s advice to stop the lid seizing?

Kasten68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor brake Reservoir ? Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
Cool
Any sign of seal 25?

nope, only the # 24 seal
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor brake Reservoir ? Reply with quote

Thank you both

RockStock wrote:
Cool
Any sign of seal 25?

Maybe this is gasket 25…card
Part number 611 377
(Remains of rubber gasket 24 on the right?)

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor brake Reservoir ? Reply with quote

that absolutely makes sense now. the cardboard will go between the cap and breather shield. When the shield and rubber sticks to the reservoir, the cap can still be undone.
From the looks of the crumbled pieces, it rather looks like rubberized cork than pure rubber, maybe. Both gaskets could be easily cut from Klingerit and rubber (cork) sheets.

RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor brake Reservoir ? Reply with quote

But the diagram doesn’t show it in that order?

Cover c/w splash guard 23
then
Rubber gasket 24
then
Card gasket 25

The splash guard (breather shield) doesn’t want to separate from my cap.

I also have a couple of caps with no splash guards. Makes me wonder if some came without splash guards.
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor brake Reservoir ? Reply with quote

I realized before that the order of parts shown on the diagram was different. But even VW wasn't perfect all the time.
We have no way of knowing about ongoing improvements on the cap. whether they started w or w/o the shield and/or card gasket.

Using common sense, the cap must seal against the reservoir with a rubber seal, as it sees fluid splashing all the time. the cap needs to be vented anyways, as the m/c would not work otherwise ( in case of brake fluid loss, the reservoir has to provide new fluid into the m/c bore, which will not work against a vacuum on top). even with a breather shield inside the cap, eventually some fluid mist or drops will get up and between the actual cap and shield. The cap has to be sealed against the shield, or the fluid will not drain back in the reservoir, but drain around the rubber seal and bleed down through the cap threads, making an awful mess of the m/c and pedal pan underneath.

This is just talking from technical common sense. Not according to any VW literature.

I wonder if the breather shield is sealed/stuck/glued inside the cap, or maybe locked with a few peens? Or maybe just seized because of corrosion?

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor brake Reservoir ? Reply with quote

Maybe the card gasket was simply replace with the rubber seal ?

I checked Mercedes parts catalogs for similar year, and although it has a different reservoir, it has a similar illustration and say that one is replacement for the other. parts 31 and 31a

https://www.niemoeller.de/de/ponton/w120-mercedes-180/B010/422601

edit, found these pics in my files (originally from TS ad). obviously an NOS cap kit. does not have the card gasket and shield separates from cap.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: