Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do you do if your Beetle breaks down in the boonies?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you do if your Beetle breaks down in the boonies? Reply with quote

hobthebob wrote:
I figure I'll just stick out my thumb and hope for the best. If I was driving down that road, chances are someone else will, too!

I've seen a lot of cars being dragged by a rope of some sort lately... Anyway, I have 16 ft. of thick rope wrapped around my beetle's rear bumper just in case! Just in case my 200 mile flat-tow AAA membership doesn't work!

Maybe just toss a proper tow strap under the rear seat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
hobthebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you do if your Beetle breaks down in the boonies? Reply with quote

Better safe than sorry!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: What do you do if your Beetle breaks down in the boonies? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
About 15 years ago we took my 1971 VW Convertible about 15 miles away for dinner. Turns out that Mrs. Cusser had forgotten her cell phone, but that didn't bother me, all was fine.

You two need to get out WAY more often than that man! Shocked

...but now I see how you have made your Beetles last this long!
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you do if your Beetle breaks down in the boonies? Reply with quote

I had a throttle cable break on my '63 right as I exited a freeway. Had to use a rubber band (it was all I had) to hold the throttle arm open a little and drove it in 2nd gear slowly to a safe place to park while I went to buy a new cable.
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you do if your Beetle breaks down in the boonies? Reply with quote

Its a real issue, the road trip can turn into a very expensive nightmare. Sure carry the basics at all times but the support network of VW shops, foreign car parts houses and ad hoc mechanics are all but gone. Times have changed and you could end up SOL real fast over something as small as a bad outer wheel bearing or a blown 14" tire in your Bus. Most repair shops just turn that kind of work down these days. My personal limit is AAA premier and hope those bastards actually show up.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you do if your Beetle breaks down in the boonies? Reply with quote

If you do not know the mechanical condition of your car, do not go too far out or in...whatever. If you anticipate a break down, stay close to main roads for travels.

Other than that, keep the car in good running condition. SErvice it yourself is best. Get a fresh motor and trans - keep them simple. Don't run exotic engines and later on cry you broke down 100 miles out of town.

If it is your main ride, then keep it stock or little better than stock. But no major exotic upgrades...like cams and crap like that.

The original car ran hundreds of thousands of miles, petesakes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: What do you do if your Beetle breaks down in the boonies? Reply with quote

AAA 200-mile coverage gives a lot of peace of mind.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: What do you do if your Beetle breaks down in the boonies? Reply with quote

Only if they show up...I've been told 8 hr waits and been totally blown off as of late ( Had a nice lady with a Forester tow my 74 New Yorker 45 miles home on a tow strap, luckily I know how to keep the bake pressure on). Also had them show up, look at the car and drive on with no explanation. I don't think they can be relied on like the old days.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: What do you do if your Beetle breaks down in the boonies? Reply with quote

Only stranded twice since 1982. 1-dropped a exhaust valve and split the cylinder in 2. 2- wore out the splines in a rear disc hub.
71SuperPete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: What do you do if your Beetle breaks down in the boonies? Reply with quote

My 71 super has broken down so many times I can't count. Every time I learn something new and carry a tool box with me to fix all the minor things that tend to go wrong driving a 52 year old car, and anything I can't figure out, well I'm just prepared to eat the tow truck bill to get her home. I do think if you can't troubleshoot and fix the basics, driving an old bug will be more headache than fun. Sometimes the challenge of getting her back running again is half the fun!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: What do you do if your Beetle breaks down in the boonies? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

The marketers who promote AAA as a network of tow trucks waiting to bail you out at $139.89 per year is a genius
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: What do you do if your Beetle breaks down in the boonies? Reply with quote

We have AMA here which is the AAA equivalent. They just have a contract with whatever towing company is close to you.

The last time I called them (6 years ago?) was for a brand new company truck my employer had just given me to drive. The ignition switch had locked up and wouldn't turn so I could not restart it at the job site.

First off the tow truck driver complained that it was a site off the paved grid and he didn't think he could find it. Then he said it was too far away. When he finally showed up he said he couldn't load it because he couldn't take it out of park. I told him to crawl under and disconnect the shift rod from the transmission and put it in neutral. He said he didn't know how so I had to do it for him!

The last time my wife called them they told her she could not get her Subaru towed home because was outside their mileage limit. They only tow to the nearest town. That town didn't have any mechanical services so it would have been up to her to foot the bill for the rest of the trip.

I keep a car trailer and truck, it's simpler and less hassle and I use both for other things as well.

Now that I think of it... I have not had to use them for our old VWs yet, just the newer cars...
hobthebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: What do you do if your Beetle breaks down in the boonies? Reply with quote

That's because newer cars are unreliable plastic pieces of junk... Get yourself an air-cooled daily driver and with your mechanical skill you'll never have to get a tow!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: What do you do if your Beetle breaks down in the boonies? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

The marketers who promote AAA as a network of tow trucks waiting to bail you out at $139.89 per year is a genius

USAA charges $7 for the whole year for each car. I gladly pay it.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: What do you do if your Beetle breaks down in the boonies? Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
I had a throttle cable break on my '63 right as I exited a freeway. Had to use a rubber band (it was all I had) to hold the throttle arm open a little and drove it in 2nd gear slowly to a safe place to park while I went to buy a new cable.
thus the need to wear shews that have shew laces....been there done that, 74 subaru cable broke way out in the woods.back then all shews had shew laces. other than fliper flopers there were no shoe laceless shews. well some hootchie boots had zippers....but sadly we didnt have any hootchies with us on that day...
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you do if your Beetle breaks down in the boonies? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
sportin-wood wrote:
thus the need to wear shews that have shew laces....been there done that, 74 subaru cable broke way out in the woods.back then all shews had shew laces. other than fliper flopers there were no shoe laceless shews. well some hootchie boots had zippers....but sadly we didnt have any hootchies with us on that day...

I believe I was wearing Crocs that day. Rolling Eyes
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: What do you do if your Beetle breaks down in the boonies? Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Abscate wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

USAA charges $7 for the whole year for each car. I gladly pay it.

But then you don’t get competitive rates in my State, which cost much more money than a tow plan.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: What do you do if your Beetle breaks down in the boonies? Reply with quote

Age old marketing trick. When I was a young buck I was sold a life insurance plan with unbelievable return on the dollar on the savings part. Then I found out that the insurance part of the plan was costing me triple the going rate!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: