Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fixing paint chips in OG finish in preperation for respray
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: fixing paint chips in OG finish in preperation for respray Reply with quote

how do you do it right?...

i know i'm not sanding down into the chip areas with my prep block sanding...do i:

just use the end of my rubber pad and push hard to sand down there for some adhesion or do i really need to open those areas up with my sanding effort? other ways to get adhesion in these little spots?

then do i:
evercoat rage extreme filler then high build 2k primer?
or evercoat easy sand glazeing filler then high build 2k primer?
or highbuild 2K primer then evercoat easy sand then more high build 2k?
or just build it up with highbuild 2k primer?

i wasn't planning on high build priming the entire exterior, and blocking it all back down, since the OG paint is in decent shape...planned to just fix the pinholes and chips and then spray high build at those spots and block that down at 400 grit in prep for my sealcoat on paint day...so most of my seal coat will go on 400 grit sanded down OG paint...am i on the right track?...

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Jowlz
The Anti-Purist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never push down into a chip etc. to get it out. Use long strokes or a d/a with a wide sweeping motion to get chips out. If you concentrate on getting a chip out you will create a low spot. You are also going to have to scuff the whole car up enough to get the primer to stick well. Scuff until there is no sign of gloss on the old paint.
watercolorbuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: chips in original paint Reply with quote

I think the fastest way to do it (depending on the NUMBER of chips you have in your substrate) is to sand back each chip with 180 grit or 320 grit sandpaper (you can do this by hand for adhesion purposes) then fill each chip with Evercoat glazing putty (which must be used with hardener). Use a small bondo spreader or razor blade to fill in each chip. Allow your first thin coat to dry then apply another thin coat on top of that before DA sanding with 180 and then finish off with 320 before applying your fill/epoxy primer. Make sure that you prime the puttied areas especially if you're painting silver or any metallic/pearl basecoat. If there's any imperfection in the substate; the metallic particals will reflect the light differently and any small depression in the primer will look like a sore thumb once painted Rolling Eyes
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wasn't thinking of sanding the chip out...my thoughts were more for creating some adhesion for filler to stick to before i scuff sanded the car for uniformity...

but it sounds like i should sand the chipped panels down to og primer and then 3 coats of high build and sanding would be the proper way to work them out...i have a couple panels where this probably would be quiker anyways (front doors)...

but i have other panels with only a few chips in them that i was hoping to just put some filler in and call it good then scuff sand them...can i do it this way and still get sound results? or do i need to spot sand them down to primer and then build up these spots?

thanks for the help, mark

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Jowlz
The Anti-Purist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend sanding them all out. Filling them with anything is not a good idea. Rememeber, when using putty or filler, you want a good surface for it to adhere to. How do you sand inside the chip? Was the car ever waxed after the chip was there? How do you know that the paint around the chip isnt slightly separated from the panel? Dont take chances.

I could see filling the chips, if you want to turn it around quick and let the next owner deal with fixing it when its bubbling and chipping in a few months. It is not something I would ever do.

It sounds by the fact that you are using epoxy primer,good paint that you want the job to last and you want to do it right. Take the time to sand the whole car down. 180 grit will be fine for this step. If sanding by hand I would go to 240. It doesnt have to be to bare metal or to OG primer. Dont try to sand it down just to primer level. Sand it until it feels smooth. Don't use your eyes to check bodywork. Your eyes will lie. Sand panels until they feel smooth. You will have a combo of bare spots, primer and paint. Get all chips and iregularities out. Apply your primer. apply a guide coat. block it out. prime again. block it out and paint. Stand back and admire the job you did.
Obsessed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sherwin williams makes a product called "squeege prime" it's a primer you can litterally put on with a squeege. you will have to sand back a little on your chips to make sure you have any damaged paint removed as well as any rust which may have formed around and under the chip. feathered out 1/4" around is usually good. fill with squeege prime and continue your prep.

I do agree with jowls, sanding them out completely is a much better idea, but you can repair them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: