Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

manual transmission safety switch
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
trike newbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: manual transmission safety switch Reply with quote

Does anyone know a part # for the transmission safety switch? Not back-up lite. Took mine apart and replaced the spring, but I don't trust it.

It's on my 75 trike, and I'd like to wire it to a relay to prevent startling in gear.
Thanks.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: manual transmission safety switch Reply with quote

Never seen one before. If it's original it will have a part number - do you have that? I'm guessing it's aftermarket / some other car and someone added it
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: manual transmission safety switch Reply with quote

Maybe the seat belt interlock switch?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
trike newbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: manual transmission safety switch Reply with quote

Looking at the wiring diagrams on this site I see the '73 beetle had a transmission safety switch , F15 mounted on the drivers side of transmission by where the shift shaft enters. Can't see any numbers . Not aftermarket .
Gotta be one out there somewhere .
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: manual transmission safety switch Reply with quote

Not very cheap, but the only source I can find.
https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.lasso?pquery=113941551
trike newbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: manual transmission safety switch Reply with quote

Thanks. That's it! Not gonna pay that for a used switch though. Maybe now people can see what I am looking for.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: manual transmission safety switch Reply with quote

trike newbie wrote:
Thanks. That's it! Not gonna pay that for a used switch though. Maybe now people can see what I am looking for.

What you are looking for...part # 113 941 551 is "generally" used as the neutral safety switch in later cars to prevent starting unless you are in neutral. And yes, in many cases it is a link in the seatbelt safety circuit.

Alternately, it is used on "some" cars as a back up light switch. Googling the part number you will see it mostly listed as backup light switch and in many cases the pictures they show show two connecter pins instead of one.

The range of cars this witch went into is pretty wide. It was used in beetles, super beetles and 411 and 412 cars (it was neutral safety switch only in some manual trans 411 and 412).

BUT....if you are just looking for FUNTION and FIT.....the same exact switch but with TWO wire connections was used in the VW 411 and 412 manual transmission and some Rabbits and golfs and the back up light switch.

The way the two wire worked is that it was just the ground breaker or maker in the wire loop. It works just like the single pole switch you are looking for but just connects differently.

Here:
https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/catalog/en_global/part/004941521

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192872270911

Have them measure the thread. Somewhere I compiled a list of where these could be gotten for cheap. Good quality switches. They also fit cars other than VW like Saab. I will see what I can find.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trike newbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: manual transmission safety switch Reply with quote

Thanks. I had tried using the backup switch, but the thread was much too large. So I cut my old switch apart and replaced the spring and contact plate and used JB weld to reassemble. Works fine. I'm just going to have it lite an led indicator for neutral .
I will use your input to search for a spare, thanks .
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: manual transmission safety switch Reply with quote

Put a N/O switch on your clutch pedal that interrupts the starter solenoid wire. It will respire you to press the clutch pedal everytime you start the car.
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trike newbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: manual transmission safety switch Reply with quote

That would've worked, but I want to start it while standing beside it. Without getting run over.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: manual transmission safety switch Reply with quote

Oh for petesakes - you don't need that switch. Did you lose it?

And you don't need the back up either, for a trike?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trike newbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: manual transmission safety switch Reply with quote

I like to start it while standing beside it. The light tells me when it's safe.
CimminoBrothers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: manual transmission safety switch Reply with quote

So I have a 72 Beetle and I have this same switch. It also has the reverse light switch on the other side. Mine has a red/black wire going to it and it runs along side the starter wire all the way up to the fuse box. Where is it suppose to land? On a fuse or dose it land on a switch somewhere? I pulled my fuse box out and replaced it with an ATC fuse box and I thought I labeled everything but apparently not… thanks for the info in advance.
early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: manual transmission safety switch Reply with quote

here is a pic of my old 73 sport bug trans, it had this switch on it. left side of nosecone

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cheers
my 73 sports bug project build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497088
Current Projects :
73 Sport Bug - L13M gone now
67 Westfalia
57 oval window ragtop - sold june 2021
61 sedan
68 Corvette Roadster - Small Block, 4 Speed
86 GMC Sierra Classic- 4x4, Shortbed
94 Harley Flstn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: