Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just got the engine started, sticky throttle cable or carb???
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mk1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Just got the engine started, sticky throttle cable or carb??? Reply with quote

Howdy folks,

Just got around to firing up my '77 Beetle ('72 engine) today. I'm having issues with the ignition switch but can turn the engine over fine with a jumper from battery.

Anyway it starts right up, the issue I'm having is when I hit the gas pedal it sticks....so instead of a rise of rpms then back to idle it stays in the elevated rpms.

Is it possible the throttle cable is sticking or is it the arm on the carb? I did put some oil on the the moving parts of the carb to see if things were just gummy but so far no dice. If I go to the engine bay and push on the part of the carb the cable attaches to it will drop in idle. Something's up.

My last few VW's have been FI so it's been ages since I've messed with a carb, the engine idles smooth & sounds good I think it's probably something simple.

thanks!

Mk
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got the engine started, sticky throttle cable or carb??? Reply with quote

Easy enough to disconnect the cable and see if the problem persists.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mk1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got the engine started, sticky throttle cable or carb??? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also in reading about adjusting the choke, which I plan to do tomorrow, I'm noticing that the stop on the carb never touches the stepped cam at any point, no matter how I try to push it. Not sure if this is related or not.

thanks,

Mk
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got the engine started, sticky throttle cable or carb??? Reply with quote

All the more reason to suspect the cable, or the pedal mechanism up front.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got the engine started, sticky throttle cable or carb??? Reply with quote

Also the steel tube through the fan shroud can get hung up. I use a hose clamp on the hidden side to secure it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Just got the engine started, sticky throttle cable or carb??? Reply with quote

After installing that "instant-on" micro switch on my pedal assembly for the brake light - a SUPERB upgrade, I disturbed the carpet around the accelerator cable enuff to hang it up. After a quick snip & melt with my solder gun all has been right.

Your linkage could use 10 minutes of love with some carb cleaner & a toothbrush. Lube afterwards mite work miracles. I use fishing reel lube & really does wonders.

Good luck ... stay safe

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Just got the engine started, sticky throttle cable or carb??? Reply with quote

I had trouble with thicker than OEM acc cable. Easy to check.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got the engine started, sticky throttle cable or carb??? Reply with quote

Hmmm - still using the factory accelerator cable on my 1970 after 53 years, 260K miles.

However, my 1971 Super with half the miles is on its 3rd.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mk1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got the engine started, sticky throttle cable or carb??? Reply with quote

Ok got around to checking this out today, very easy to verify that once I disconnected the cable that the throttle connection on the carb moved just fine/no hangups.

The pedal assembly seems ok, however the cable looks pretty old & also the car came with a brand new, never opened throttle cable so I'm wondering if this was an issue that was passed on that the previous owner just didn't tell me about.

I reached around the back of the shroud to turn the tube a bit, see if it was binding there. No dice.

Got under the car....lo and behold as far as I know there should be a flexible tube that runs from the tunnel to the hard tube through the shroud that the cable runs inside, correct?

This cable is just totally bare running from the tunnel to the tube in the shroud. Rubbing all over the transmission & what not.

So I'm noticing in the attached pic of the throttle cable I have that it's inside a tube, not just a bare wire. Can I just replace with this or do I need to track down whatever flexible piece that I'm missing that the wire runs in ?

thanks!

Mk
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mk1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got the engine started, sticky throttle cable or carb??? Reply with quote

Also one other thought I forgot to add on the previous post....the cable I have is for a '75-79 Beetle, mine is a '77.

However, this car originally would have been FI and now has a '72 engine with a carb.

Wouldn't the cables be different lengths? Do I need a cable for a '72???

thanks,

Mk
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: