Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Truck Fridge Digital Thermostat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiltym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Digital Thermostat Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Well...... Texas is a tougher environment for a 12v fridge than the PNW.
To get the fans to cool better it has to exhaust the hot air and intake cooler air. If the hot exhaust air is just circling back as 'the intake air' then a fan doesn't help much. Think of a way to get the fan to eject the hot air so the intake can put cooler air over the fins. If you can do this, the fridge will definitely perform better.

==========

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am using $17 INKBIRD temp controller and it (now) works so well !
I have intended to make a post, took lots of pics but hadn't done the post because I wanted it to be 'complete'. Now here's a feller who thinks the thread subject has languished.....
I say it's a great thread. Truckfridge uses a good refrigeration hardware, just the controls are lame.
Crazy.
We can buy a controller for $17, how much would it increase the price for TruckFridge to do it right?
With a temp display too.

I disconnected the TruckFridges temp controller, and use the INKBIRD to control the Truckfridge.
It's discussed above, but here is the short version:

I pulled the C & T connectors off, and used the INKBIRD relay to switch C & T.
I just left the two rejected wires dangling.
That's all.
And I drilled a hole into the fridge and dropped the INBIRD temp sensor in.

And I added a little 30mm box fan inside the fridge. It's connected parallel to the outside TF fan. So it simply runs whenever the outside fan runs. It made a HUGE difference in the temperature control. No more frozen areas inside the fridge.

Heres the wires. Sorry the post is not complete.
I will edit this post with the Inkbord "settings" that are programmed.
It's super-simple, there's only about 3 settings.

I am doing this same Inkbird install on an Isotherm Cruise 130. Same fridge as the TF130.

I installed as you did, disconnected the exiting mechanical thermostat wires from C & T, and attached new wires from Inkbird to C & T. The inkbird works as it should.

However, it seems the compressor speed (and power draw) is less now than when using the stock mechanical thermostat. For me, it is causing cooling issues and very long run times. I am assuming that the TF130 and Cruise 130 have a resistor in place in the stock mechanical thermostat causing the compressor to run at a higher speed then the default (2000rpm) with no resistor, as will happen when installing the Inkbird.

Anyone run into this?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Digital Thermostat Reply with quote

I had trouble for some years due to 'too small' wires supplying the TruckFridge.
It was a total brain fart, caused by wiring it temporary (for testing) then I forgot.
Then some weeks later, had to go camping (at the drop of a hat), so I closed up the cabinet like that.
It was a couple years thinking something was wrong with my Truckfridge, I even had it tested by a Truckfridge repair center, and they said "it's fine".

But the TF repair facility is who told me to attach the INKBIRD at the C&T so at least I got that....

Be sure your wires that supply the compressor can provide at least 5A at the fridge.

One way to be certain it's getting the power it needs is to measure the voltage at the fat red wire ("+" terminal) while the compressor is running.

0.25v less than battery voltage is 98% which is sufficient.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
kiltym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Digital Thermostat Reply with quote

So I did some more testing this morning.

On the stock mechanical thermostat there is a resistor in line at 463 Ohms. This resistor will increase the speed of the compressor to about 2750rpm. You can find this information in this document:

https://www.secop.com/fileadmin/user_upload/SEPS/d...00p522.pdf

If you simply attach the inkbird in place of the stock thermostat (by removing the existing C & T wires and replacing with new wires to the Inkbird), this resistor is no longer present, and the compressor will run at 2000rpm. This is what was happening to me. It will create VERY long run times.

I found another thread about wiring the two thermostats in series, and simply leaving the mechanical one set to '7' at all times. The Inkbird will still control the on/off of the compressor, but it will put the resistor back in service and the compressor will run at the higher RPM again intended by the factory.

My electrical wiring is all fine, this is an issue of the resistor being removed from service by swapping to the Inkbird.

Here is the thread that talks about this some more:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/adding-resistor-to-danfoss-system-257889.html

Specifically look at post #5 and the comments around that.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Digital Thermostat Reply with quote

kiltym wrote:
I found another thread about wiring the two thermostats in series, and simply leaving the mechanical one set to '7' at all times. The Inkbird will still control the on/off of the compressor, but it will put the resistor back in service and the compressor will run at the higher RPM again intended by the factory.

I remember my brother telling me something about this.....
I also remember something about 'ramping up' and not starting the compressor at full-bore every time.

Will adding a 463 ohm resistor in series do the same thing?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
kiltym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Digital Thermostat Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
kiltym wrote:

I remember my brother telling me something about this.....
I also remember something about 'ramping up' and not starting the compressor at full-bore every time.

Yes, if you add the same resistor inline on the C or T coming from the Inkbird you would have the same result. We are not in a location to do this, so simply running the two thermostats in series does the same thing with no new parts needed.

I would check your specific unit to make sure it is also using 463. This is easy to do with a multimeter. Just put the mechanical thermostat on 7, and connect the multimeter to those wires and see what it reads. Its likely the same, but our fridge is brand new, and not sure the age of yours and if things have changed over time.

I supposed there is a small chance of the mechanical thermostat actually getting to the '7' temp setting and cutting out, so time will tell if this works in the long term. I am assuming '7' is colder than I want my fridge.

I suppose given the choice, the better option is to add a resistor inline with the inkbird itself and keep the mechnical thermostat out of the equation. But I think both will work OK.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Digital Thermostat Reply with quote

kiltym wrote:
Sodo wrote:

Yes,
simply running the two thermostats in series does the same thing with no new parts needed.
I suppose there is a small chance of the mechanical thermostat actually getting to the '7' temp setting and cutting out.

Thanks. No point chasing down a 463 ohm resistor when everything is there.

Any funny-business will be at the coldest end of the spectrum, right?

So if the INKBIRD is set at 34°F then it will be turning off anyway --- before the "7" comes into play.

Is this correct?

kiltym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Digital Thermostat Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
kiltym wrote:
Sodo wrote:

Yes,
simply running the two thermostats in series does the same thing with no new parts needed.
I suppose there is a small chance of the mechanical thermostat actually getting to the '7' temp setting and cutting out.

Thanks. No point chasing down a 463 ohm resistor when everything is there.

Any funny-business will be at the coldest end of the spectrum, right?

So if the INKBIRD is set at 34°F then it will be turning off anyway --- before the "7" comes into play.

Is this correct?

Correct. That's the idea anyway Smile.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Digital Thermostat Reply with quote

That 463 ohm resistor is almost certainly 470 ohm (+/- a few percent). A precise 463 ohm (+/- 1 ohm) would be very expensive, and probably not available outside of a laboratory.
kiltym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Digital Thermostat Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
That 463 ohm resistor is almost certainly 470 ohm (+/- a few percent). A precise 463 ohm (+/- 1 ohm) would be very expensive, and probably not available outside of a laboratory.

You are probably correct. That value is what my multimeter read. A precise resistance is not that important anyway, but you want to be in the ballpark.

Last edited by kiltym on Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Digital Thermostat Reply with quote

My brother is a control systems guy and explains it like this.

There are other factors not considered, such as efficiencies.
Like the compressor working so hard it's adding heat into the van that further exacerbates the problem.
But we ignore that stuff.

Just looking at the max cooling attainable (the Truckfridge's "Delta")

=========
Lets just assume the max differential the TruckFridge can do
is cool a “40 F ° Delta“.
And you set the INKBIRD at 34°F….
The ambient temp in your van is currently 73°F
At 73°-34°=39°F..... its all good👍🏽 TF can do 40° delta.

Ambient temp rises 2°, to 75°F, but TF can only do 40°.
75°-40°=35°F, the max it can cool to.

The INKBIRD is set at 34°F so it's commanding the TruckFridge to run continuously trying to get it down to 34°F but it cannot. It can only maintain —>35F<— inside the fridge.
So the Truckfridge runs its compressor continuously whenever ambient is greater than 74°F.

Consequently....
Putting the original Mechanical thermostat “in series” is the best bet.
It works off the INKBIRDs protocol whenever the temperature difference is attainable (below 74F).
When the delta becomes un-attainable ( ambient above 74F ) the INKBIRD is just FULL-ON and the TruckFridge is now operating on its OE mechanical system, as if there was no INKBIRD in the system at all.
Which could be as simple as a "50% duty-cycle".

I'm gonna put the Mechanical thermostat “in series”.

westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Digital Thermostat Reply with quote

Data point: My C60 and C85 Vitrifrigos are almost always running at the lowest setting on the dial, rarely more than 1/3 unless it's really hot inside the van. I regularly see 30-35 middle of the fridge. I removed the little compressor speed resistor plugged into the control module and I 'think' the compressor is running on the lowest speed now. Perhaps the difference is these fridges are vented through the wall allowing the heat to escape?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Digital Thermostat Reply with quote

kiltym wrote:
So I did some more testing this morning.

On the stock mechanical thermostat there is a resistor in line at 463 Ohms. This resistor will increase the speed of the compressor to about 2750rpm. You can find this information in this document:

Specifically look at post #5 and the comments around that.

I set out to make this modification to my Truckfridge which I converted to a digital thermostat. On my disconnected mechanical thermostat, I'm only measuring about 15 ohms. Nowhere have I seen resistance values this low for the stock mechanical thermostat. Based on the document you linked to, 15 ohms would do little to increase the compressor above 2000 RPM.

I'm measuring the original thermostat using the original unaltered wiring harness which was plugged into the control box. I don't see any resistors buried in the harness.

Has anyone else seen this? It leaves me a bit confused about whether I should connect the original thermostat in line with my digital unit like others have done, or ignore the resistance and stick a 470 ohm resister in there according to spec sheets.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Digital Thermostat Reply with quote

In another thread (I will look to try to find it), I chimed in about the "Merlin" circuit board that I installed on my TF-65 at the same time I installed my "Inkbird" (that goofy name still makes me crazy!!) ITC-2000 digital thermostat.

The Merlin unit senses how long the run time is between on and off cycles. If the run cycle goes on past a pre-set limit, the Merlin applies a resistance to the SECOP compressor controller and ramps up one compressor speed range from the base speed of 2,000 rpm. Then, in the next compressor "on" cycle, if the run time is beyond a pre-set length of time, the Merlin again ramps up compressor speed to the next speed. ((2,750 rpm IIRC??).

This continues until the highest compressor speed is achieved, which I recall to be 3,750 rpm. Conversely, when the Merlin counts decreasing run times, it ramps down the compressor speed, again, in steps in the same fashion.

In the 2021 July "heat dome" event that cooked the Okanagon area of BC (114F!!), my TF-65 ran most of the time at the highest speed, dropping back a step or two only at night. My fridge contents stayed at the Inkbird temperature I set at, IIRC, 35F or thereabouts.

Indel has a device that senses when you have the engine running (thus alternator power) or have good solar power input and ramps up compressor speed to overcool the contents so less battery power is used later. It looks like a nice unit. Here is a link to a vendor showing a pic of a Westfalia install:

(Open the link and scroll down)
https://boattest.com/isotherm-intelligent-temperature-control

Frankly, I think that now that the marine market and RV (and Westfalia) markets are moving to LiFePo4 batteries, the usefulness of this expensvie Isotherm device is significantly reduced as the tendency is for most end users to go to larger capacity LiFePo4 batteries, reducing fears of running out of battery capacity.

By contrast, the Merlin device does seem to be great little device for those camping in areas with high ambient temperatures - - you get the electric power economy that Truckfridge and Secop intended to provide, plus easy access to the extra cooling power that is available in the Secop controller on the BD-35 compressor unit.

Mine has worked without complaint. It is still sold at a number of marine chandlers:

https://coastalclimatecontrol.com/images/PDF/Refer/Merlin-II-Instructions-v3.pdf

https://www.go2marine.com/Frigoboat-Merlin-II-Auto...ompressors

https://titanmarineair.com/product/frigoboat-merlin-ii-mini-smart-speed-controller/
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Digital Thermostat Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. That Merlin II looks pretty cool, though expensive. It would be interesting to know what resistances get used to alter the compressor speed. I have the battery capacity to spare, so my interest is mostly in extracting the most cooling power from the fridge over efficient running.

I went ahead and connected my mechanical thermostat in series with the digital one and the fridge runs, but it occurred to me I don't have anyway to tell what speed the compressor is running.

People seem to be speaking to documented changes in compressor speed, is there anyway to tell?
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Digital Thermostat Reply with quote

Here is a PDF from the inventors of the BD-35 compressor, namely, Danfoss. At page 4, they describe the different compressor speeds and the resistance values needed to engage those different compressor speeds.

It turns out that my recollection on the RPM steps was not quite accurate.

https://fmmsusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/BD35.BD50.Danfoss.pdf
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Digital Thermostat Reply with quote

There must have been something wrong with my resistance measurements of the mechanical thermostat, as all the compressor documentation I've seen (including your link) suggests hundreds of ohms are needed to make substantial RPM changes.

My mechanical thermostat was working solo, so I am going to assume that in series with my digital controller I will be achieving higher compressor RPM. It will be interesting to see if I notice increased cooling; I was operating without resistance for about a year, and in hotter summer trips, the fridge would run sometimes 90% duty cycle, but it did always keep up.

It seems like a poor man's substitute for the Merlin would be a potentiometer wired in series with a digital controller, and equivalent compressor RPM's marked on the dial. Turn it up during hot days, turn it down at night...
kiltym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Digital Thermostat Reply with quote

drj434343 wrote:
It seems like a poor man's substitute for the Merlin would be a potentiometer wired in series with a digital controller, and equivalent compressor RPM's marked on the dial. Turn it up during hot days, turn it down at night...

I am going to do just that to help keep temps reasonable when in hot weather. Our fridge, with the stock resistor/RPM only keeps 50F when ambient temps are 95F+. I am pretty sure cranking the rpm up will help.

There is also a commercial version of this by Frigoboat that plugs into the control board.
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Digital Thermostat Reply with quote

Had a chance to camp this weekend and immediately noticed a cycling distance with the fridge after connecting the mechanical thermostat in series.

Amp draw looks like it went from 2.5 to 3.5 amps when running, but honestly I'm not sure if net usage was higher given how much less it ran.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: