Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Peashooter drag racing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

I'm having a great time following your adventures. I remember my very 1st time at the drag strip. 1992 had a '73 Bug with a crashed front end. Cut the front end off and bolted on a used one piece front end. Still had the 3.88 trans. Put in a worn out 1200cc and went to the track. Ran 24.876 @ 51.00 MPH. I knew I was now addicted to drag racing. 1993 I scrounged up a stock 1600 SP and ran a 19.266 @ 66.50 MPH. 1994 built my 1st big engine 1756cc with 32/36 carb. Ran a 16.954 @ 75.82 MPH and won my 1st bracket race.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I'm having a great time following your adventures. I remember my very 1st time at the drag strip. 1992 had a '73 Bug with a crashed front end. Cut the front end off and bolted on a used one piece front end. Still had the 3.88 trans. Put in a worn out 1200cc and went to the track. Ran 24.876 @ 51.00 MPH. I knew I was now addicted to drag racing. Scrounged up a stock 1600 SP and ran a 19.266 @ 66.50 MPH.

vwracerdave, Xatie and I love watching racing of all kinds. This is the whole reason I visit the performance forum is to see what you all do. Some is really technical and over my head. Some is accessible and in my wheel house. I made 3 passes on the track in my fairly stock bug. It was amazing and enhanced my enjoyment spectating weekend drag racing. I have a great time rooting for friends and some random racers hanging it all out. I dig the comradery of the racing community. Hopefully Xatie and I can make it to the track and support our friends for the last race of the season.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

Had a great time at PIR last night.

As frenchroast mentioned, I came across a set of shocks (QA1 rears, Carrera 90/10s) for a price I couldn’t pass up. They arrived in the mail an hour before I was heading to the track, so I did what any reasonable person would do and left them on my workbench for next time.

Just kidding! I thrashed to install them as fast as I could and test drove down the block and back before heading to the track. I arrived a 1/2 hour later than usual and there were tons of cars already lined up.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Long story short, I made a few passes and finally hit 100mph:

67rustavenger asked me to match it on the next pass, and while I didn’t, I (barely) managed a best low ET, 13.09 (vs. my previous best of 13.10):

I'm leaving around the same RPM, My shift light tells me to shift at 6400 each time, my 60’ times are fairly consistent (1.8s), and I’m hitting 97 or 98mph for most passes - then I finally hit 100 out of nowhere. What gives? What pushed me to 100mph on that one pass?

More tuning to come.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

"Tail Wind" Laughing Good Job Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

It's a wrap for PIR 2022 peashooter drag racing; after an epic Fall, the rains have come. https://portlandraceway.com/?/events/calendar

Here are data points I collected. Post more if you have 'em!

Metrics:
- Race nights: 6
- ET PR: 13.09 - SM
- ET PR: 19.304 - FR
- MPH PR: 100.07 - SM
- MPH PR: 66.49 - FR
- RT PR: .010 - FR2
- RT PR: .027 - FR1

Highlights:
- Camaraderie
- Learned new stuff
- Tried new stuff
- Had a lot of fun

Looking forward to in 2023:
- Header to get FR into the 18's
- Javagreen67 vs. 67RA tubo EFI
- SM ET in the 12's
- Xevin's westy
- More big VW turnouts
- New cam, black box or 009/019, head work, 34PICT3 w/034 or blackbox or blueprinted 30/31, manifold for FR?

Meanwhile, I'm going to get the bumpers, hub caps, seats, and carpets back in FR to get it looking good again!

Note to self for future ref:
2022 FR specs
- 1585cc (85.5)
- 205T SVA
- Leistritz exhaust w/ baffles opened 25%
- SP, stock 35x32 valves, 3 angle seats, back-cut intakes
- Stock valve springs and rockers (1.25 didn't help this motor)
- Brosol H30/31, stock SP manifold
- Stock clutch balanced with flywheel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

Just went to drag day. Here's a good video of my car taking off down the track, sportin' my own custom peashooter exhaust Twisted Evil

https://www.facebook.com/groups/157560131623071/permalink/1088644018514673/?ref=share

That was my best 60 foot time with the car so far, granted I've only been to 3 drag days so far... 1.84 seconds, not too shabby for old worn out 195 street tires and a fairly mild 2180 w/ bone stock transmission. It felt good Cool
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

Nice Evan.

We might have to do a road trip and show you LA basin guy's, just how slow our PNW cars are! Shocked

It looks like you had a good day and made it to the semi-final round. Unless I'm mistaken by the video.

The whole idea of the peashooter drag racing is, Having fun and meeting, great new friends.
We had a grand time pissing off the Dodge boy's waiting on the line.
While we made 20 second passes. Very Happy
Except Fn SM. He did more 13 second passes than I want to count.

Funny thing is. The fans in the stands, actually liked the beetles for what they were worth.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

Thanks! No I didn't make it to finals, or even past the first round in the tournament for my class. But everyone at drag day gets 3 qualifying passes automatically. Just fun to be part of the event and get some practice in (which I need more of!)
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

Anyone here hit this road race?

Pacific NW Historics
Pacific Raceways
JUN 30 2023 AT 1 PM – JUL 2 AT 5:30 PM

Join us June 30th for the region’s biggest vintage road race. Over 200 special cars of all types, formula, sports, stock will hit the track for three days of racing at this annual event.
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

A couple of must-have items for all of you hitting the 1/8 or 1/4 mile track.

A transaxle mid mount and rear engine support. The rear engine support (we called them traction bars back in the day) is from Scott Sebastion of Metalcraft Motorsports and the mid mount is from Robert Taylor of Fast Fab Mfg.

Both are bolt-ons and can be installed in an afternoon. The traction bar brackets bolt to the rear bumper bracket mounts on ‘67 and earlier cars. I’m not sure if Scott has any for ‘68 and later cars.

This particular mid mount is specific to the 1955-1960 cars, of course they also make one for 1961 and later cars. I had Scott install the 4 longer studs required to use the mid mount when he built my transaxle, they’re actually just long set screws which he also provided to mount the traction bar brackets.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

b-man wrote:
A couple of must-have items for all of you hitting the 1/8 or 1/4 mile track.

A transaxle mid mount and rear engine support. The rear engine support (we called them traction bars back in the day) is from Scott Sebastion of Metalcraft Motorsports and the mid mount is from Robert Taylor of Fast Fab Mfg.

Both are bolt-ons and can be installed in an afternoon. The traction bar brackets bolt to the rear bumper bracket mounts on ‘67 and earlier cars. I’m not sure if Scott has any for ‘68 and later cars.

This particular mid mount is specific to the 1955-1960 cars, of course they also make one for 1961 and later cars. I had Scott install the 4 longer studs required to use the mid mount when he built my transaxle, they’re actually just long set screws which he also provided to mount the traction bar brackets.

Well now those are fine quality goodies.
I'm gonna have to reach out to Scott and order at last the "engine Support bar.
I already have a mid-mount, from another manufacturer.

Thanks for this post B_Man. Very Happy

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

b-man wrote:

awesome design of the traction bar bolting to the bumper bracket mounts.
hardrada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

SCCA racing and latenight drags on saturday. Anyone going.
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

hardrada wrote:

I won't be going to PIR until mid-late April at the earliest. Frenchroast? 67rustavenger?
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

stevemariott wrote:
hardrada wrote:

I won't be going to PIR until mid-late April at the earliest. Frenchroast? 67rustavenger?

Busy with work at least through May. Looks like a risk of rain on Saturday.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

frenchroast wrote:
stevemariott wrote:
hardrada wrote:

Busy with work at least through May. Looks like a risk of rain on Saturday.

Lots of work to complete before any track day.
Engine swap, change drivers seat to a high back, buy and install a trans mid mount and engine support bar.........

Looks like May is gonna be the first rack day here.

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

Anyone hit the drags at Pacific or Bremerton?

CAR CLUB CHALLENGE
Bracket racing. Pick a team or start your own. Its 60 a race and 10 annual competition number. NHRA rules apply we ask that your car is kinda street legal loosely enforced lol. It's fun our cut off is 10.0 flat.

Car Club Challenge Association was created to get drag racing off the street and to promote legal drag racing at the tracks between Car Clubs in the Pacific Northwest!

The Car Club Challenge drag race series takes place at both Pacific Raceway and Bremerton Raceway. Each of the three major auto manufacturers are represented by a club and we even have a Tuner Team. Trophies are awarded at each race as well as at the end of the season.
The series is staffed by volunteers (fellow racers) who work diligently to preserve the integrity of the series and ensure open communication between the racers, sponsors and the tracks.
Membership is $10.00 for the year and covers both tracks. Just pay your membership fee at the track the first time you race.
See www.CarClubChallenge.com

frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

The new CBP Streetster 1 3/8 header is installed on 69TW and ready for July 15th. Whoever is making these for CBP does a good job. The CBP is the only 1600 header with a good collector I could find and the overall quality of the header and muffler are pretty good; flanges are faced nicely, one minor welding booger I fixed, and the usual and customary wrestling to get it installed. The collector-to-muffler tube has a nice generous bend and good welds. I was going to weld in a heat riser tube into the collector but just drilled them at the flanges and called it good. Tried out the rustoleum high heat paint and really like the finish. Looks good after the first few days of use.

The 125 main and 55 idle jets I had in there for the stock exhaust seem about right so will stick with that for now. I may try the CBP AFR flange and drill the jets to dial it in the future. We'll see. Still getting a little snap crackle pop on deceleration but can't detect any leaks and the idle mix is set right.

Next on the list will be to try 1.25 rockers again and will probably go with the CBP Supers.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

frenchroast wrote:

Next on the list will be to try 1.25 rockers again and will probably go with the CBP Supers.

Are you gonna change the entire rocker assembly to CB 1685, or just the exhaust rockers again, CB 1692?

Your header pics look familiar. Wink
Careful going over speed bumps. Your car may not be lowered like mine. But that muffler hangs pretty low.
I have scraped my "Hideaway" muffler more than once when crossing over speed bumps.

I'm still waiting on my Wedgeport intakes to arrive. Sad
And all the other stuff we have been chatting about in the background, that needs to get done before the 15th. Very Happy

Racing or not, I'll be there! Thumbs Up

frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Are you gonna change the entire rocker assembly to CB 1685, or just the exhaust rockers again, CB 1692?

1692 and do the intakes first. Or should I do exhaust first?

67rustavenger wrote:

Your header pics look familiar. Wink

Wink

67rustavenger wrote:

Careful going over speed bumps. Your car may not be lowered like mine. But that muffler hangs pretty low.

Shocked

67rustavenger wrote:

I'm still waiting on my Wedgeport intakes to arrive. Sad
And all the other stuff we have been chatting about in the background, that needs to get done before the 15th. Very Happy

Racing or not, I'll be there! Thumbs Up

See you there! And you can always put your 1600 back in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: