Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Owner of a '68 Baja
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VTbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject: New Owner of a '68 Baja Reply with quote

New to the forum, I just picked up this '68 Baja from CA, it's been off the road for 20 years or so. It has a 1776 which seems to have gotten water in one side of the motor at some point in time. Excited to get working on it! Just got the motor out, haven't torn down the side in question yet. It spins over a decent amount but seems to get stuck at a certain point in the stroke. Dual 40 carbs, one functions well, the other seems to be seized up Think

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
plotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a '68 Baja Reply with quote

Most excellent. Hope to see you on the road soon.
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a '68 Baja Reply with quote

Very nice Baja. Mine was in similar shape. The California cars have far less rust but were used heavily in the Desert bent frame horns and stress cracks on the inner wheel wells will tell you how much and how hard it was used. Along with bashed in floor pans. I had all three plus crack pipes in the heater ducts but no rust Laughing

I make a USA made gasket on ebay If your going to pull the motor apart I can leave out the 34pict gasket and throw in a double of something else.

ebay 185623039853
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a '68 Baja Reply with quote

Geez New member here Not very welcoming C'mon GUY'S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a '68 Baja Reply with quote

That's a good fitting kit on that car. Congratulations on the Cali dry body Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a '68 Baja Reply with quote

that looks like a great start!
VTbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a '68 Baja Reply with quote

DesertSasquatchXploration wrote:
Very nice Baja. Mine was in similar shape. The California cars have far less rust but were used heavily in the Desert bent frame horns and stress cracks on the inner wheel wells will tell you how much and how hard it was used. Along with bashed in floor pans. I had all three plus crack pipes in the heater ducts but no rust Laughing

I make a USA made gasket on ebay If your going to pull the motor apart I can leave out the 34pict gasket and throw in a double of something else.

ebay 185623039853

Makes me a little worried to really inspect the frame horns and inner wheel wells! haha oh well, makes sense though. No crack pipes found yet. Shocked
VTbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a '68 Baja Reply with quote

plotch wrote:
Most excellent. Hope to see you on the road soon.

I see you're just over the hill from me, hope to have it on the road this spring!
las912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a '68 Baja Reply with quote

A very classic looking baja, looks really good
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: