Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dishing AA piston
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bearwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject: Dishing AA piston Reply with quote

hello, i just want to know what is the limit of depth is allowable to dish a 92 AA cast piston?
i was planning to dish mine, diameter of 70mm and depth of 2mm to get additional 8cc..
i got 043 heads (40x35) with 50cc chambers, i dont want to ruin a good set of heads, thats why im dishing the pistons..
engine 2180cc with engle w120 cam
thank you..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Dishing AA piston Reply with quote

I think the AA's have been measuring around .200 to .220" , someone will correct me if im wrong. that being said, you do not want to go any thinner than about .180" in the crown, any thinner than that and you run the risk of blowing a hole through it.
2mm equals roughly .080" so that just isnt in the cards , sorry man

Edit: folks have pointed out more than .250 in the crown so it is possible at that thickness. in the industry we always recommend to not going less than .180". doesn't mean that folks have tried and not been successful Laughing

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.

Last edited by VWporscheGT3 on Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Dishing AA piston Reply with quote

i have done .080" deep in a circle on a smaller engine with 8.8:1. Not sure I would do it with more compression than that.

I have also made oval shapes to avoid the dish getting out into the flats, but adding more volume.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Have the chambers been worked on at all? Un-shrouding will usually get you around 2-3cc if you don't get carried away. Sinking the valves a bit will usually help some also.

Brian
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dishing AA piston Reply with quote

2mm is risky with the cast pistons, imo
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dishing AA piston Reply with quote

I dished some AA cast 94s, they were 6.5mm thick.
Did a 1.5mm cut for 5cc and they survived 7k rpm
0.250”/0.060”

bearwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dishing AA piston Reply with quote

thank u guys..
modok, i think ill settle on 1.7mm deep.
ill get some 2cc on the heads
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dishing AA piston Reply with quote

Why not just shim the cylinders to lower compression?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dishing AA piston Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Because that increases the deck height/reduces squish. I have found tight decks usually run cooler and don’t need as much advance. I shoot for 0.030 - 0.040 measured at the top/bottom of the piston with it rocked out in the bore by pushing from behind.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Dishing AA piston Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Because that increases the deck height/reduces squish. I have found tight decks usually run cooler and don’t need as much advance. I shoot for 0.030 - 0.040 measured at the top/bottom of the piston with it rocked out in the bore by pushing from behind.

And dishing the piston doesn't reduce squish?

I'm familiar with the .030-.040" range.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dishing AA piston Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Vanapplebomb wrote:
Glenn wrote:

I'm familiar with the .030-.040" range.

you try to keep the piston dish positioned so that it's under the chamber. Keeping the tight deck around the edges squeezes everything towards the plug.
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Dishing AA piston Reply with quote

Just another thought and the reason I cut my pistons vs shims....

You get that beautiful fat sealing surface on the case side of the cylinders...(92mm thick walls as an example)....and then you throw a shim...(nobody makes a cylinder shim worth a turd anymore and certainly not fat enough to embrace the bottom of the AA T/W versions)....and now you gave up all that beautiful sealing area.

I probably wouldn't go past 1mm cut myself but would not hesitate to cut anything less in a street motor.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Dishing AA piston Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Here’s the damage my dish did to squish… noteworthy?
Brian’s bathtubs are better, but so are his lathe skills.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Dishing AA piston Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Correct, as long as the portion of the piston crown adjacent to the quench area of the head is not cut.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Dishing AA piston Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Here’s the damage my dish did to squish… noteworthy?
Brian’s bathtubs are better, but so are his lathe skills.

This is a great picture that perfectly shows how squish can be lost by dishing if the dish footprint overlaps the quench area of the head.

vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Dishing AA piston Reply with quote

It's amazing how many engine builders in the V-8 world are starting to use semi-hemi chambers, but the VW world considers it black magic taboo.

Way too much rocket science technology from a world class race car that doesn't make a damn bit of difference on a street engine.

You can't read a Chevy book and build a VW engine.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Dishing AA piston Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

Aren't VW engines just glorified lawn mower engine with 4 cylinders?

I hear that a lot.

I average about 40 hours to build a VW engine. usually 2-3 mock ups before the final assembly.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Dishing AA piston Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
It's amazing how many engine builders in the V-8 world are starting to use semi-hemi chambers, but the VW world considers it black magic taboo.

Way too much rocket science technology from a world class race car that doesn't make a damn bit of difference on a street engine.

Here we go again... Brick wall

The new engine world also has canted valves, 4 valves per cylinder, very little valve angle, domed pistons, knock sensors, and EFI. Its hard to fit 4 valves in a chamber WITHOUT some form of hemi shape.

A modern engine design and a VW engine are two WAY different animals, with WAY different needs. Apples and oranges. No black magic or taboo.

It would be much more correct to said "you can't try to apply modern chamber tech to a 60 year old cylinder head layout."

It has been known and tested since the 1950's that a wedge chamber head with 2 valves works far more efficiently with .030-.050" squish. That will always be the same, no matter what the new cars do. I have yet to see any real V8 2 valve heads with a hemi chamber. Quite the opposite. All the real power maker heads run a super tight butterfly or heart chamber. With 2 valves, and a hemi chamber, the pressure recovery into the chamber is non-existent.

Many VW people, including myself have tested it on real running engines, and a tighter deck works better every time. Way better throttle response, easier to tune, less jet needed for the same power, MUCH more detonation resistance, better efficiency, and cooler running. Every one of those improvements is welcome on a street engine.

Its not difficult to do with new heads that come with larger chambers. Might as well make it correct the first time, rather than half ass throw it together, and call it good enough.

Brian

Last edited by Brian_e on Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Dishing AA piston Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Aren't VW engines just glorified lawn mower engine with 4 cylinders?

I average about 40 hours to build a VW engine. usually 2-3 mock ups before the final assembly.

ALL 4 stroke engines function under the exact same principles, some just have more "accessories", and are more efficient then others.

You are quick. I have 40hrs. into most long blocks, and no less then about 6 mock-ups, and I thought I was getting pretty fast after so many. Laughing

Brian
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Dishing AA piston Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:

The new engine world also has canted valves, 4 valves per cylinder, very little valve angle, domed pistons, knock sensors, and EFI. Its hard to fit 4 valves in a chamber WITHOUT some form of hemi shape.

A modern engine design and a VW engine are two WAY different animals, with WAY different needs. Apples and oranges.

It would be much more correct to said "you can't try to apply modern chamber tech to a 60 year old cylinder head layout."

It has been known and tested since the 1950's that a wedge chamber head with 2 valves works far more efficiently with .030-.050" squish. That will always be the same, no matter what the new cars do. I have yet to see any real V8 2 valve heads with a hemi chamber. Quite the opposite. All the real power maker heads run a super tight butterfly or heart chamber. With 2 valves, and a hemi chamber, the pressure recovery into the chamber is non-existent.

Many VW people, including myself have tested it on real running engines, and a tighter deck works better every time. Way better throttle response, easier to tune, less jet needed for the same power, MUCH more detonation resistance, better efficiency, and cooler running. Every one of those improvements is welcome on a street engine.

Its not difficult to do with new heads that come with larger chambers. Might as well make it correct the first time, rather than half ass throw it together, and call it good enough.

Brian

AAMEN!
Also, bear in mind that just about ALL newer hemi heads are running twin spark plugs, - AND they have a slight squish shoulder on each side of the chamber. I wonder why(?)
I have built a couple of Twin spark type 1´s and am soon to start another 2275. When you learn how to design the enginbe it is amazing how much overall torque you can get, - along with some 7-15 hp more dependant on set up.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Dishing AA piston Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
When you learn how to design the engine, it is amazing how much overall torque you can get, - along with some 7-15 hp more dependent on set up.

Or you just stay stuck in 2001, whine about other people trying different things, and eventually get left behind. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Brian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: