Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kitchen appliance recommendations 2023
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitchen appliance recommendations 2023 Reply with quote

It’s simple to unbolt the look,mechanism and zip tie it so it doesn’t latch the door on the locking washer models. This requires users to use engineering protocols to ensure safety, akin to the

“Do not use lawn mower to trim hedges “ manual note.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitchen appliance recommendations 2023 Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:
Read the reviews.

I work for one of the dreaded 'big box' stores. I have had to replace a couple of appliances in the last couple of years.

What I do is go online and start at the bottom of the price chain, reading reviews of the item-in-question.

The least expensive machines will inevitably have a significant number of negative reviews. If the reason(s) for the negatives are the same or similar from multiple reviewers, that's a good sign for you to move on.

At some point up the chain you get to a machine that has very good reviews, iow, little to no negativity. That's when you add that machine to your list of possibles. Keep in mind that there will have been a increase in price of a couple-to-few hundred dollars by the time you get to this point.

Example: many cheaper dishwashers have plastic innards that warp under the stress of constant hot water used to get dishes clean. They tend to develop leaks. Avoid these models. The more expensive machines tend to use materials like aluminum which stand up to heat much better than plastic does. No leaks. That's just one example.

Since you work for a retailer selling appliances. What brands/models have a bad reputation? Do you or the other managers see a trend in returns or customer complaints? You know I’m a big box retail manager. I know from customer complaints and returns which vendors i would recommend and not recommend. I have to process Return to Vendors (RTV). When I see a trend of failures. Those are the vendors I stay away from. That being said, some vendors just have a bad manufacturing run from time to time.
So if you were to ask the appliance sales team. What would they say? What is crap, what is solid, and what is over rated?

I don't work in the appliance section, but I will look into that tomorrow. We do RTVs, also.

Our online store, however, has tons of reviews on each and every model that can be ordered if you come into the store. Way too many to list and/or summarize here.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Kitchen appliance recommendations 2023 Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Whirlpool, Maytag, Jenn-Air, Amana, Roper are all the same company these days.

Same with all appliance brands. I'm not sure reliability can be related back to brands nowerdays. Robustness maybe, but they basically share core parts between so many brands that the difference is look and feel. But it's been that way for years.

E.g. we have a Smeg American-style fridge freezer that we bought when we had our kitchen replaced seven years ago. I wasn't happy spending that much but it was the only four-door fridge-on-top-freezer-below type on the UK market that we could find which fitted in line with Euro-sized cabinets when we bought it (the others were much deeper, so projected several inches beyond the cabinet fronts).
We had it repaired last week and the repair guy mentioned that most Smeg refrigeration (and some much more expensive brands' kit) is made by, or uses parts made by Beko. I Googled and Smegs' definitely are, so I expect he was right about the rest.
I remember Beko being basically the cheapest of the cheap and a bit of a joke.

These lists are moderately interesting; although the UK/Europe list is unneccessarily wordy and a little old (just like me)...

Who makes whose appliances: -

US
https://www.familyhandyman.com/article/who-makes-my-appliances/

UK

https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/about-the-appliance-industry/manufacturer-information

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitchen appliance recommendations 2023 Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It’s simple to unbolt the look,mechanism and zip tie it so it doesn’t latch the door on the locking washer models. This requires users to use engineering protocols to ensure safety.

Yeah, I've seen oh so many news stories of people getting injured by putting their hands into a running washing machine. Remember old room fans? People knew not to stick their fingers into the holes !!!

Anyway, on our newest washing machine, I had to troubleshoot a malfunction, needed it to operate with the top lid "up". I unscrewed the latch mechanism on the underside of the lid and inserted that into the mechanism on the washer to allow it to operate with the lid up, or just up a half inch. I'll accept the liability.

Who.Me? wrote:
Cusser wrote:
Whirlpool, Maytag, Jenn-Air, Amana, Roper are all the same company these days.

Same with all appliance brands.

Maybe 15 years we bought a Maytag over the counter microwave at Home Depot for $200, had 1-year in-home warranty. It died 6 months in, Maytag sent out a service guy. He said its magnetron (main part) was bad, and even though Phoenix was like 6th largest city in USA, he'd have to order the part. 2 weeks later he returns with the part, and Mrs. Cusser has to help him remove the bad unit from the wall and to lift/replace the new unit. So 2 service trips plus a part, on a unit that retailed for $200 at Home Depot. If we are generous and say that Maytag nets $40 profit for each unit, Maytag would've been better off financially to send me a coupon for a replacement unit than lose money on 2 service calls plus part.

Funny, that microwave went bad a few years later, and I called Maytag to see if their current units fit onto the same wall mount, and was told "no", so no incentive to purchase Maytag again. So we bought $200 LG unit at Sears, and guess what - their unit used the same wall mount as the previous Maytag, saving me time for its install.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitchen appliance recommendations 2023 Reply with quote

i go to the thrift store/ resource place and buy twenty year old units for less than $100 . ten years and still working.

Remember the "Brave little toaster" movie

planned obsolesence
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitchen appliance recommendations 2023 Reply with quote

Scottyrocks, thanks for the effort to get some current information from the appliance sales team at your store. That’s the kind of inside information I’m interested in.

That being said. You all have swayed me to consider the usual cast of characters regarding appliances. I wasn’t sure if Bosch 800 series, Miele, Wolf, Sub Zero, and other luxury brands would be recommended over the other moderately priced appliances from the big box stores. I have no problem saving a buck or two.

Currently leaning towards these bands.

Refrigerators- LG or Samsung
Dishwasher- Samsung, Whirlpool, or Bosch. I might splurge and get the Miele.
Range- KitchenAid. It’s my only choice. JennAir is a couple hundred bucks more for nothing gained. I know they are both Whirlpool.

I’m not married to any of these brands if someone with current information chimes in with a different suggestion.

Thanks again everyone.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitchen appliance recommendations 2023 Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
i go to the thrift store/ resource place and buy twenty year old units for less than $100 . ten years and still working.

Remember the "Brave little toaster" movie

planned obsolesence

Of all people. I thought you would have recommended this. I’m very disappointed Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: