Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

September 1955 Karmann, 61,000 mile barn find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: September 1955 Karmann, 61,000 mile barn find Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Will, were the square nuts in good shape? Or rusty? I had to drill mine out..to be honest square metric nuts are fun to hunt down.
Watching your preservation.
Thomas

McMaster Carr has a bunch of choices! Follow this link, for What they have. There are more choices. I just bought a bunch for my ragtop clip repairs. They were M5 nuts.

https://www.mcmaster.com/square-weld-nut-m8-x-125-mm-thread-93975a720/

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
oldsplitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: September 1955 Karmann, 61,000 mile barn find Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Will, were the square nuts in good shape? Or rusty? I had to drill mine out..to be honest square metric nuts are fun to hunt down.
Watching your preservation.
Thomas

Hey Thomas,

Just quick point, the square nuts in the doors are M6 not M5. M5 is the correct size for the ragtop sunroof mechanism. McMaster-Carr and BoltDepot are usually good sources for metric hardware.

I had all the hardware left over from my 1951 convertible build. I bought in bulk, knowing I would probably need them again in the future Laughing Most of the screws came out just fine. There is a single screw that sits in the window channel that holds the vent window assembly. The design is such that moisture gets trapped under the rubber and rusts out the screws. The car is in great shape overall, but the screws on both sides were just shot.

Strangely, the screw on the rear-passenger side window channel just snapped with almost no force. That one was pretty easy to replace. The nuts inside the doors are a different story. They are in a little cage that is pretty tough to reach. I bought a pair of long-reach needle nose pliers that fit the bill nicely.

The hardware for the door channel and window assembly frames are an M6x1 slotted screw, square nut, and a special lock washer. Don't skip the lock washer, it will keep the brackets from shifting after years of slamming doors.

Will

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oldsplitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: September 1955 Karmann, 61,000 mile barn find Reply with quote

Now for a post in the "well, that sucks" department.

The driver side door has a strange outward ding halfway down. After taking the doors apart it was obvious that someone had tried to muscle out the window regulator without taking the time to do the disassembly steps in the correct order Evil or Very Mad

I have receipts for pretty much everything done to the car from 1955 to 1965. I flipped through the stack, and whaddya know?!?! In 1962 Norma was charged $12.98 for a new regulator + $6 installation.

It makes me wonder if the shop bothered to tell her about the door or didn't say a word. Considering that it was reassembled in this state leads me to believe the latter was the case.

Will
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: September 1955 Karmann, 61,000 mile barn find Reply with quote

Will thank you for that...i have windows back in and working properly, but not without a whole lot of frustration. Trial and error, unusual facial expressions, a lil cussin, sleepless nights ...this needs to be addressed in the Kab.forum, and saved for all future kab owners, ( Bill Bowman) take heed..lol. again thanks for that Will.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: September 1955 Karmann, 61,000 mile barn find Reply with quote

My drivers door had the same outwards crease. It will pound out though Smile
oldsplitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: September 1955 Karmann, 61,000 mile barn find Reply with quote

I was lucky to pick up a very nice 56-59 Petri full circle horn ring for the oval. I love the look of the horn ring, but it had the unfortunate effect of causing the horn to beep almost constantly. I spent a few hours troubleshooting the unit and managed to get it working exactly as it should. I'm posting up these pictures in case anyone else wants to try to make their horn ring functional as well.

This is the center hub that mounts in the steering wheel. Unlike the stock horn button which uses a spring, the ring has a thick piece of rubber-type material to provide resistance and push the ring back up after released. The rubber was dried out and useless

Yup. This is junk.

The bare hub is made of two kinds of metal which need to stay insulated from one another. When installed the brass center plate is "hot" and connected to the horn wire from the center of the wheel

When the ring is pressed it grounds the metal of the ring against the thin ridge shown here. I used some emery cloth to clean up the contact. Also, it is crucial that the pot metal and brass don't connect, as this will cause activation of the horn prematurely. I tried out a product called "Liquid Electrical Tape" between the two halves and it seemed to work well enough.

To recreate the rubber stopper I actually tried a couple of different materials. I originally tried neoprene, and it was simply too stiff. Foam rubber had the opposite problem, as it would not spring back adequately. Silicone had a similar problem. Ultimately latex proved to work out quite well.

The "throw" of the ring is actually quite small. The distance between the base of the brass plate and the contact ridge is only about 2mm. If the new rubber ring was over 3mm there isn't enough room to connect the washer and ring clip assembly. After a couple of trial-and-error runs I ultimately settled on 2x thick rings, and 1x thin.

2.82mm total thickness for the new ring

Done! Back together and good as new.

Link

Will
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: September 1955 Karmann, 61,000 mile barn find Reply with quote

oldsplitvw wrote:

Link

Will

result matters !!
My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kaieric Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldsplitvw wrote:

Also, sadly, the outside is not original paint. It has had one exterior respray in a hue that is a little too yellow, and then a couple of fenders have been re-resprayed after that due to minor dings and scratches.

Will

awesome car! did you figure out the original color code?
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: September 1955 Karmann, 61,000 mile barn find Reply with quote

oldsplitvw wrote:

Link

Will

This is so awesome!
oldsplitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: September 1955 Karmann, 61,000 mile barn find Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, the car has been an absolute blast.

Regarding the original color: the factory birth certificate did not help. If I had to guess I would say L87 Pearl White. From my understanding this is a Karmann Ghia color from the same vintage. Karmann seemed to paint a number of oval convertibles in Ghia colors. I've seen a couple 56-57 verts painted Amazon Green, so this would seem to make the most sense.

Will
kaieric Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: September 1955 Karmann, 61,000 mile barn find Reply with quote

good guess as to the paint code - interestingly i found that in 1960 beetle spare parts manual
they called l87 colour simply 'white' instead of 'perlon white' as they did in 1956 spare parts manual.
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: September 1955 Karmann, 61,000 mile barn find Reply with quote

Did you restore the radio?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldsplitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: September 1955 Karmann, 61,000 mile barn find Reply with quote

Ted2 wrote:
Did you restore the radio?

The radio was restored by a guy here on Samba.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=130309

Will
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: