Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice for stocker single port rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for stocker single port rebuild Reply with quote

Is there any reason you can't drill and tap the oil pump stud holes to M8?
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for stocker single port rebuild Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
I was wondering how you addressed the surfaces that have been coated with the purple dye.

(Please forgive the rudementry question. I can assemble an engine like a set of Legos and have lapped valves, but am largely ignorant).

Thank you.

Most of those dyed areas aren’t really a big deal, I just like to clean corrosion off the case in machined areas. For the pushrod tube seal areas I chucked a piece of maroon scotchbrite in a die grinder until they were shiny. The oil pump area is a little harder but I leveled it out with some flat steel on 180/220/400 sandpaper. Same with the bottom of the oil filler, I lapped it on a granite tile until it was smooth and flat.
None of that really guarantees a true perpendicular mating surface or a 100% flat area. You would need to clamp the case down in a vertical mill and spend some time on setup to actually get a true surface. What I’m doing is basically cleaning up for a better sealing surface, nothing more.

And for the oil pump studs I did some research prior to ordering the pump and found 6mm pumps don’t have the same stud pattern as 8mm. Berg sells a set of offset bushings for that, which I will need for the full flow pump cover... haven’t found one in 6mm yet.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for stocker single port rebuild Reply with quote

Something I have not gotten my head around is this apparent need to tear an air cooled VW engine down and replace the pistons and cylinders only. In the many years our family has run these engines and having fixed a few for others too I find that very seldom do you find the piston and cylinders to be worn out. Head and bearing/case problems out number piston/cylinder problems big time. I still have a 1/2 dozen or more good useable P/C sets left over from engines where that was the only parts salvageable!

Next up for me is this need to put case savers in every engine. In over 30 years of running and maintaining STOCK VWs I have never used them. I have only ever seen one pulled stud and it was on a core engine that I had no history on.

Maybe this advice is because we are in a performance forum here?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for stocker single port rebuild Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Next up for me is this need to put case savers in every engine. In over 30 years of running and maintaining STOCK VWs I have never used them. I have only ever seen one pulled stud and it was on a core engine that I had no history on.

I'm going to recommend case savers for an "H" case.

I rebuilt my 1600cc "AE" engine in 2016-2017 and had case savers installed by the VW machine shop same time as the align bore, would never have considered otherwise, and pretty reasonable. Strong foundation.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for stocker single port rebuild Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Buggeee wrote:
I was wondering how you addressed the surfaces that have been coated with the purple dye.

I just like to clean corrosion off the case in machined areas... What I’m doing is basically cleaning up...

Thank you for practical ideas I can use in my backyard shop. When I was a kid we would sand down the head on our mopeds on a piece of sandpaper taped to a flat surface like that granite you described. In our minds we were increasing the compression for more power. Smile
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for stocker single port rebuild Reply with quote

Good news!
I picked up my rebuilt heads from the machine shop this week. Their work is OUTSTANDING in my opinion.
They ultrasonic tanked them, replaced all the guides with a manganese bronze alloy, stainless valves all around, and had to replace one exhaust seat that didn't clean up. I brought in HD single springs with hardened hardware, based on some discussions I've had with guys in the past, and he let me inspect everything and assemble the heads on their bench. Wish I'd taken a photo of it, their setup was awesome and very easy to use!
Overall I did spend a bit more than I had planned, but I'm pleased with the results and don't regret rebuilding these stock parts over ordering a pair of new China heads. A few guys told me I should have never torn the engine down - "Just replace the fuel lines and run it!" but with the 1/4" of play in the exhaust valves I can't see the engine, as bought, running well or for very long.
The black junk inside the rocker box is oil staining - I didn't want to glass bead the rocker box area at all, so it didn't get as clean as the outside of the heads.
Next step, ordering rebuilt rods from DPR and take everything to the balance shop.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for stocker single port rebuild Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Good news!
I picked up my rebuilt heads from the machine shop this week. Their work is OUTSTANDING in my opinion.
They ultrasonic tanked them, replaced all the guides with a manganese bronze alloy, stainless valves all around, and had to replace one exhaust seat that didn't clean up. I brought in HD single springs with hardened hardware, based on some discussions I've had with guys in the past, and he let me inspect everything and assemble the heads on their bench. Wish I'd taken a photo of it, their setup was awesome and very easy to use!
Overall I did spend a bit more than I had planned, but I'm pleased with the results and don't regret rebuilding these stock parts over ordering a pair of new China heads. A few guys told me I should have never torn the engine down - "Just replace the fuel lines and run it!" but with the 1/4" of play in the exhaust valves I can't see the engine, as bought, running well or for very long...…...………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..........................great job on your rebuild .every thing looks good .I think your friends are wrong by telling you not to rebuild your motor . you have it out of your bug .fix it wright .that way you wont have it on the side of the road . broke down lol. good call to rebuild it .on the studs for your oil filter I use a nut and bolt that way they don't pull out I lock tight the bolt in the case I did this trick when I worked at a vw dealer ship in the 70s spencerfvee…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
The black junk inside the rocker box is oil staining - I didn't want to glass bead the rocker box area at all, so it didn't get as clean as the outside of the heads.
Next step, ordering rebuilt rods from DPR and take everything to the balance shop.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for stocker single port rebuild Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
...on the studs for your oil filter I use a nut and bolt that way they don't pull out I lock tight the bolt in the case I did this trick when I worked at a vw dealer ship in the 70s...

I came across a thread a few days ago where a guy had done that, I think he replaced the studs with a black phosphate allen head bolt. Looked pretty good!

edit, it was this:

jpaull wrote:
jeffrey8164 wrote:
While you’re in there, replace those silly oil strainer studs with some bolts.

Great suggestion!

A example here:

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for stocker single port rebuild Reply with quote

What's the dimple in the valve?

scrivyscriv wrote:

5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for stocker single port rebuild Reply with quote

I have no idea!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for stocker single port rebuild Reply with quote

FWIW, I'd consider a spring center disc for a motor like that,
Just to smoothen out the drive..

Nice to also have the case decked for flat.
An 'H' case would be one to maybe start moving around this many years later..

Thanks for sharing.

Always nice to have things fresh and clean.

Just having everything clean makes them run cooler.
And cooler is more power, right? Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for stocker single port rebuild Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Something I have not gotten my head around is this apparent need to tear an air cooled VW engine down and replace the pistons and cylinders only. In the many years our family has run these engines and having fixed a few for others too I find that very seldom do you find the piston and cylinders to be worn out. Head and bearing/case problems out number piston/cylinder problems big time. I still have a 1/2 dozen or more good useable P/C sets left over from engines where that was the only parts salvageable!

Maybe this advice is because we are in a performance forum here?

You live where it's cold,
And people don't drive like maniacs.

When you are flat-out WFO in 100F+ desert heat for hours on end,
P&L start going oval and blowing by,
And cases go soft and start pulling studs.

What’s That Noise?!?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for stocker single port rebuild Reply with quote

BUMP - Whatever happened to your build??

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for stocker single port rebuild Reply with quote

It’s all still in the garage, I haven’t touched it since my last update here, except to move it around every few months. Covid shutdowns diverted my attention from the entire project Smile
I did actually just find and buy a CB 2280 cheater cam for it... after being out of stock everywhere for a while, I found them listed in the CB shop site again last week! It didn’t get very good mpg in my 1971 bus but I’m willing to give it a shot in this build.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for stocker single port rebuild Reply with quote

The best Dad and I ever got out of our 1600 SP '69 Bus was 18 MPG. VW claimed 21 but we never saw it that high. That in fact was part of my decision to finally sell it 2 years ago. I knew that even if I did the little bit of mechanical work and all the rust repair it needed it would never get driven with today's fuel prices. Distances where we live are just too great for a vehicle like that.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for stocker single port rebuild Reply with quote

Good to hear, I think that’s about the best I ever saw in my 71 bus. If I recall it was a fairly consistent 16-17mpg. I always thought I just didn’t have it tuned right.. it had an empi quiet pack and header with stock single carb
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for stocker single port rebuild Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
The best Dad and I ever got out of our 1600 SP '69 Bus was 18 MPG. VW claimed 21 but we never saw it that high. That in fact was part of my decision to finally sell it 2 years ago. I knew that even if I did the little bit of mechanical work and all the rust repair it needed it would never get driven with today's fuel prices. Distances where we live are just too great for a vehicle like that.

Yoo either drove it very hard or it is the classic out of tune thing. they almost always get better mileage than that. I have one custome who drove his ΄68 early bay Westfalia to Nordkap and back. Approx 4000
miles total averaging 23 mpg. He now has a 75 hp 1776 stocker plus and averages 22,8 mpg.

That valve job on those sgl. port headfs above is nothing special. Its not even a multi angle job, but it will of course work.
If you replace the stock cam with a 2280 you must increase CR too or you will not get the benefit of a better cam apart from a little rpm power
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for stocker single port rebuild Reply with quote

Stock cam, stock CR, stock distributor and carb all at factory spec tune. It was like that off the showroom floor and like that until the day it was sold. Nothing we did made it better. Driven to the floor just like every other Bus ever was except that we limited the highway speed to 60 mph to control the oil temps.

That was also the 1600 SP that the factory rated the top speed at 65 mph and it would do 75 mph. Again right off the show room floor and was still doing it 2 years ago for the guy I sold it to.

Back in those days we didn't have a wide band so the factory may have put a main jet in that was too big. We will never know. The plugs never indicated a problem.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for stocker single port rebuild Reply with quote

I've been sitting on this for a while, it got back burnered with the addition of kids #5 and #6 (both girls!) and the upstairs bedroom addition. Throw in a few transmissions for different family vehicles needing rebuilt, and I've been swamped in projects!! I'm really thankful that we have not had to move or have any significant job or family changes. Those really take the wind out of any sails that might still be up, praise Him!

The current interim-slash-donor-motor for the beetle is a well used 1600 dual port. It's halfway apart for new seals, rings, a cylinder hone, HD single springs, and new exhaust valves. I didn't want to tear it down any further and try to invest much time or money in it due to its case corrosion. I'd like to focus on getting the subject motor built and back in the beetle, stock-ish as possible.

I'm anticipating AA Pistons' website running a BF sale again this year and I've got a set of 85.5 pistons and cylinders along with their solid rocker shaft kit in the cart. Rich Parker's photos of his Scat sump look phenomenal, I think I'm going to try and get one too! 1.5qts seems like a reasonable daily street driving addition. I'm taking the advice of many here and opting NOT to upgrade significantly into this particular engine; although I was really considering bumping up to 88mm machine-in's, I can really see the benefit of saving that time and money for a more suitable, later case, and going bigger - I'm thinking about doing a 1776 or 1904 in the future.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for stocker single port rebuild Reply with quote

Project creep! It gets to us all if we let it! Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: