Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 Type 3 Rust On Trans Tunnel.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjmartin317
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:06 am    Post subject: 72 Type 3 Rust On Trans Tunnel. Reply with quote

So I have the car off the ground, drivers side pan unbolted but not out (still figuring out where to cut, specifically at the front towards the pedals). However, I’m not noticing rust under the car at the trans tunnel which, once the pans are unbolted and detached, will be holding up most of the car…

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These holes are towards the front of the tunnel where it attaches to the front frame. It’s very crinkly in the surrounding area. Then there’s the side of the tunnel facing the drivers feet:

That squiggly bit towards where the pan ends and hole behind is my brake line. Copper blends into rust very well. And yeah, it’s not straight, but it does work.

Obviously this all has to get cut away in order to attempt any repairs/welds/structuralness… but with the drivers side unbolted and that weakened area underneath/in the front, is it even safe to have this thing up in the air? Should I set it back down and reevaluate? I don’t think taking the body off is in the cards… and if it is, it’s going to be an incredibly daunting ordeal/a long weekends worth of work (for an inexperienced fellah like myself) and May result in the body never going back on (due, again, to my inexperience).

Any experts in the WV panhandle area?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Type 3 Rust On Trans Tunnel. Reply with quote

Well, you already know what you need to do to fix it...cut and weld in new metal. If you pull the body off, you could flip the pan over, so that the center tunnel plate can be fixed. This would also be the time to replace the left floor pan half. If you look at the pan section you need to replace, you'll see there's a lip about 1 inch in front, and 5/8ths to 3/4 inch on the side (tunnel side). You trim to those flat areas, and that'll be what you build on. Look at my Krunchy pics in my gallery to see how I did my own car (71 Notch), as that was the rustiest type 3 I've ever rebuilt.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
tjmartin317
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Type 3 Rust On Trans Tunnel. Reply with quote

Yes, definitely repairing. However, is it even safe to have the car in its current state? Up on stands with the body half on? The safest thing to do would, ironically, be getting the body completely off, but in the time between now and then should I consider getting the car back on the ground or revolting the floor pan in place (even if it’s mostly gone) just to add some extra help.

As an aside, that 5/8th lip on the tunnel side is mostly missing towards the drivers pedals. When I clean that area, it’ll almost certainly have been devoured by rust… guessing I’ll have to weld new metal in just so I can attach the pan to something.

Will poke around your gallery, though in all honesty, I’m not hip enough with The Samba as a website to know how to fully navigate it yet lol
GjMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Type 3 Rust On Trans Tunnel. Reply with quote

How badly rusted is the body itself? Could you post some pics of the heater channels and lower A pillars?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Type 3 Rust On Trans Tunnel. Reply with quote

If your pedal area etc is rusty, then you'll probably have to lift the body off the pan and weld in the full new pans.
It will go easier/faster like Bobnotch did his rebuilds.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249390
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Type 3 Rust On Trans Tunnel. Reply with quote

I would agree with everything everyone has said in regards to post more pics (Farther away and not so close) AND that you likely need to lift the body off the pan.
I considered Lifting my body off the pan, but went the route you are seriously considering. The difference is I inspected my tunnel before making my decision.
I replaced one side at a time, With lift supports on the body as well as multiple jacks under the frame to hold it up.
My Tunnel was solid, not so much the inner fender area

After numerous test fits, I finally installed the Gerson and stitched it into place.

I did only one side at a time. What did not help is the OO replaced the driver side with a Ghia pan and did not replace the inner fender shelf. I had to replace that side as well.

Bottom line, If you go down the body on pan replacement. Use what BobNotch did, but start on strengthening the tunnel. Remember the tunnel is critical for frame integrity while the pan area is removed. Cut and paste welds can weaken the tunnel integrity if not done properly. Fin
This is what I followed and modded slightly for my pan replacement
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=574362
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjmartin317
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Type 3 Rust On Trans Tunnel. Reply with quote

Posting more photos as requested:

Under drivers side:

Drivers side heater channel:

Pretty crusty all the way to the voltage regulator:

I’m scared of that electrical spaghetti…

Passengers side needs far fewer photos to explain the damage:

Against all odds though, the rear of that pan where the rear passengers feet would be is basically solid:

If the whole car were that solid I’d be a happy camper. Will be melding this half of the pan to a front pan half that came from ISP west. Drivers side has a full gersun.

My side of the car is more important, after all.

All this said, Ossi, your restoration gives me some hope. To my untrained eye, your channels looked far worse than mine.

So, again, bolt the pan back on for structural support?
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Type 3 Rust On Trans Tunnel. Reply with quote

tjmartin317 wrote:
Posting....
So, again, bolt the pan back on for structural support?

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question. In my opinion, each one of these are different. What I might say worked for me, may not for you. That said... I wish I had taken more pictures. I wrote down my steps for replacement. (Doing/Did this for all my restoration bits.)
So here it is:
1. Put Gretchen on Jackstands 8x: Front Beams X2, Behind the center pivot sub-frame x2, Rear Axles X2, Center Tunnel with 2x6 board and 2X jackstands.(Napoleon Hat and mid-point)
2. Create lift frame through doors using Engine Hoist. (Lift just to have small weightbearing)
3. Measure and mark where outer seat rail is in proportion to door
4. Cut out and remove original Heater channel. (NOTE:I did not remove Inner or outer rocker
5. Measure, cut and place replacement heater channel.
6. Weld and anchor new heater to front, back, and Inner rocker. (Also create rear anchor point)
7. Verify Jack point and Upper support stability
8. Cut out Pan from front to back
9. Inspect edges and tunnel sides. Grind and prep surface
10. Test install of pan for fit. Install pan bolts on new heater channel while raised. Mark and align along inside on both Gerson and pan. Test fit along front of Gerson to the front. Mark accordingly. Remove pan
11. Grind and prep front fork and other areas where Gerson mates under Inner fender. MUST good and tight
12. Test install of pan for fit where Gerson mates in front and back. Steps 10-12 Rinse and repeat until a good fit is assured.
13. Install pan seal on Gerson and install pan. Install all pan bolts with U washers until NOT snug.
14. Evaluate Fit, one last time. Raise inner edge of Gerson til snug inner. Hold tight
15. Tighten Bolts (every other one until snug, but not Torque wrench level.
16. Tack weld the inner Gerson to Tunnel. Take tension off pan lifter, but do not remove. Edge weld as described elsewhere pan to the tunnel and frame starting at the back and work to the front.
17. Anchor Weld Gerson to Front fork by inner fender.
18. Tighten the pan bolts in an uneven pattern to Torque value.
19. Test install inner fender patch section for alignment
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Type 3 Rust On Trans Tunnel. Reply with quote

This is a shot of the original pan in my 71 Notch. At this point I have the doors off, and the seats and carpet out.

This is the body flying in my garage.

This is the pan with the body removed. You can see some of the remains of the pan still in place. Background shows the body on a cart.

Pan tunnel with rusty floor metal stripped off.

Test fit of left floor pan. Notice the frame head in the background.

Rusty frame head removed and being prepped for replacement.

New frame head tacked on with new to car floor pans and beam being fitted. The old beam had a broken torsion bar and was very rusty too.

Both floor pans and the frame head getting welded up. This was done before blasting and painting of the pan.

I hope these help.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Type 3 Rust On Trans Tunnel. Reply with quote

As for accessing my gallery pics, just click on the gallery button up in the header, then type in Bobnotch, then click on Notchback. Then go to page 11, as that's the start of the 71 Notch construction pics. You'll also see some shots of my 65 Notch (the Bavarian metallic blue car) getting some things done to it like IRS engine hanger brackets, front cowl replacement and maybe some sunroof repair pics. As you can see from my 71 Notch pics, the outer edges of the floors were gone, and one of it's PO's reskinned the rockers welding them to the floors, where they rusted out. I think they were trying for a 2fer, fixing the rocker rust, and patching the floors. Rolling Eyes
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:

Last edited by Bobnotch on Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Type 3 Rust On Trans Tunnel. Reply with quote

These are of the pans getting blasted.

Yes, the pans still needed some patching as you can see some light passing thru the pans (thin spots).

The finished result, Epoxy primer, paint, and clear coat...sealed.

Yes, it's a lot of work, but I did most of it after work and on weekends. My wife and the kids knew where I was, as all they had to do was walk outside to see/talk to me. Laughing
That frame work set up was from a friends "portable garage" that had been damaged from high winds. I hauled it off, and used some new pipe I picked up from a dumpster to create a shady spot for blasting. Zero money spent, just some time to build it. Having a welder IS handy. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
tjmartin317
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Type 3 Rust On Trans Tunnel. Reply with quote

Alright, specifically paging Bobnotch, but all are welcome to answer: I'm guessing the engine stays with the body. Which means most if not all of the electrical wiring does (maybe not the speedometer cable). But in all these mega restorations it looks as if the engine is a completely separate entity. Does that come out first, then the body off?

Another quick question: I unbolted the driver's side floor pan a few weekends ago (didn't make any cuts). Should I have braced things first (a and b pillars specifically) or was I alright to do that? Worried I caused accidental damage just by unbolting that, even though the pans provided little to no structure in the first place (since they're mostly... well... gone...)

I'm going to have to talk to my landlord. Considering the weather is improving and I do have a back deck, the body may end up sitting in that area. It would be outside, so any input on how to keep it safe from the elements would be appreciated. From there, I would do the subframe in the garage, then the body on the back deck (landlord/neighbors permitting... which might be a stretch, I do live in a townhouse complex... which makes this more complex)
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Type 3 Rust On Trans Tunnel. Reply with quote

Quote:
But in all these mega restorations it looks as if the engine is a completely separate entity. Does that come out first, then the body off?

the engine is attached to the transmission as a unit, transmission is attached at the nosecone, and the engine attaches at the back to the body. nothing in the middle.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Type 3 Rust On Trans Tunnel. Reply with quote

tjmartin317 wrote:
Alright, specifically paging Bobnotch, but all are welcome to answer: I'm guessing the engine stays with the body. Which means most if not all of the electrical wiring does (maybe not the speedometer cable). But in all these mega restorations it looks as if the engine is a completely separate entity. Does that come out first, then the body off?

Another quick question: I unbolted the driver's side floor pan a few weekends ago (didn't make any cuts). Should I have braced things first (a and b pillars specifically) or was I alright to do that? Worried I caused accidental damage just by unbolting that, even though the pans provided little to no structure in the first place (since they're mostly... well... gone...)

I'm going to have to talk to my landlord. Considering the weather is improving and I do have a back deck, the body may end up sitting in that area. It would be outside, so any input on how to keep it safe from the elements would be appreciated. From there, I would do the subframe in the garage, then the body on the back deck (landlord/neighbors permitting... which might be a stretch, I do live in a townhouse complex... which makes this more complex)

Since you have a 72, it's IRS like the photos I posted above (from a 71). I'd remove the engine first, and put it on one of those HF moving dolly's to move it around to a safe place. This way it's out of the way. The engine bolts to BOTH the trans and the body, so having it off will give you room to work with. See my pictures above where I tied up the trans, so it wasn't being drug around(and scraping the floor. You might want to get some measurements before you pull the body off, as the replacement pans will need a little trimming to fit. In my case I was using good used pans, so I knew how they would fit, as I directed Neil on where I wanted them cut (he was running the sawzall). Also, I had a bunch of parts in the back of my S-10, and that car rode on my tow dolly from Idaho to Michigan. We put in an empty blown up bus case and T-3 engine hanger bar to hold up the trans. Once I got home, the empty case was removed, and set behind the garage.

Building some sort of framework for lifting might not be a bad idea. Some 2 by 6's and 4x4's along with some lag bolts could be used to create a nice little structure that could be recycled into another project at a later date. Like I've told others, I have a tendency to use and or repurpose things for other uses. That cart I have under the body started out as some 4x4's from a pallet, and some 2x4's that got lag bolted together. Right now it's got a wooden frame on it (used to be a base for a work bench), that's holding an 8 foot pick up truck box that's getting some rust repair work done on it at a friends house. Once he's done with the truck box, that lower frame w/wheels will come back here and sit out back (until I need it again), and the bench base will end up in his fire pit.
You could build one of those fancy "body carts" like some here have built, and are commonly used in the Ghia forum to support just the body, so you can roll it around, and put a tarp over it for storage. Just use the biggest casters you can find, as it'll roll easier that way. I got my casters from Tractor Supply Company. I want to say they're 8 inch hard plastic swivel casters I drilled and tapped a hole (1/4-20) for locking the casters in place (brakes). I've had them since 2007.

Yes, you'll need to disconnect the wires that connect to the engine (from the main wiring harness), and electric fuel pump, along with the brake switch wires. I'd pull the ECU connector off the ECU, and lay all of the FI harness on the engine while it's in storage. Yes, if you take the screw on white cover off that end, it'll fit in the hole that the harness enters the engine bay. The rest should be able to stay connected. You'll need to disconnect the speedo cable at the left front, and pull it out of the spindle, so you can tuck it up somewhere in the body. You really shouldn't have to pull a lot of wiring out of the car body, as it can stay put, Just the ends need to be disconnected, I only say that, as most of the wiring is ran in the body itself, and then only dropping out here and there to connect to various items.
I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
tjmartin317
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Type 3 Rust On Trans Tunnel. Reply with quote

Some of you may wince at this question, but for ease of restoration, is there any way to keep the engine attached to the body while still taking the body off? That'd eliminate the need to untangle my spaghetti mess of electric wires and the ECU. I only ask in order to simplify the steps needed in the rebuild process. After all, taking everything apart is easy. Putting it back together? Not always the case. Would be good to leave what works (well enough) in place. Also means the fuel lines can stay (mostly) attached.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Type 3 Rust On Trans Tunnel. Reply with quote

tjmartin317 wrote:
Some of you may wince at this question, but for ease of restoration, is there any way to keep the engine attached to the body while still taking the body off? That'd eliminate the need to untangle my spaghetti mess of electric wires and the ECU. I only ask in order to simplify the steps needed in the rebuild process. After all, taking everything apart is easy. Putting it back together? Not always the case. Would be good to leave what works (well enough) in place. Also means the fuel lines can stay (mostly) attached.

Unfortunately it doesn't quite work that way. The engine is attached at the hanger bar ends only, and at the trans by the 4 bolts (1 is the upper starter bolt).
If you read my reply, the FI wiring can stay in place, you just have to unplug it at the ECU. Remove the gray cover plate on the end of it, then reach in and unplug the white plug. Then you'll need to remove the top cover of that white plug(2 screws) then it'll fit thru the hole into the engine compartment and just lay on top of the engine. I showed that little trick to Neil while I was there at his house collecting the car.

The other option you have is to replace the pans with the body on, and it's harder to get nice solid clean welds up in the front outer corners. I did that on my T-34, while it was at Russ Wolfe's house (I put them in for him, before I ended up with the car). I also put the front clip on that car for him while I was there that week. It is more work however, you keep the body on the pan and the engine and fuel lines plus all of the wires stay put.
Unfortunately, any repairs to the center section will be done overhead and welding that can be tricky. You might want to get someone in that knows what they are doing for that. Just my take on it, as I've done it with the body on, and with it off.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
GjMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Type 3 Rust On Trans Tunnel. Reply with quote

Not really. Engine is attached to both pan (thru the subframe) and body. Don't worry about putting it all back together. Samba members collectively have literally centuries of experience that can help you with any problem. We like showing off our knowledge!

As for fuel lines, you should be replacing them in any case.
tjmartin317
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Type 3 Rust On Trans Tunnel. Reply with quote

I did read your reply, and I appreciate the extra info Mr. Notch. I was just a little confused by what the FI harness encompassed. I haven't dug too deep into the electrics yet (other than making sure they're all plugged in correctly) because it worked. And any tampering I did could risk making them... well... not work.

The FI harness you're talking about, does it pretty much include every electrical wire I'll need to unplug from the engine? Or is it just the injectors and maybe other components? I know there's one long harness that runs down the driver's side heater channel past the voltage regulator. I'm guessing some of those bits plug into the engine/will need to be removed...

Body on is seeming to be less and less of an option. The trans tunnel is worse than I initially thought, so keeping the load of the body on the tunnel while the pans are out isn't exactly comforting. If that snaps in two, I'm in real trouble. Besides, repairing the body and repairing the subframe are beginning to feel like two totally different animals, even if it's all welding and cutting. May as well make them two separate entities.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Type 3 Rust On Trans Tunnel. Reply with quote

I believe there are 4 wires from the main body wiring harness that plug into the FI wiring. Those are the #19 FI relay ground for the fuel pump. The 2 wires in the left front corner of the engine compartment that actually power up the ECU from the under rear seat relays. And there should be wire from the starter to the ECU for power when starting (#18/31), and a cold start wire from the starter to the cold start thermo switch on the right side of the engine (from there it goes to the cold start injector). I believe the rest of the wiring for the FI can stay in place. Since you have it running, I'd leave it all in place, and just unplug it from the ECU, and snake it back into the engine compartment and coil it up on the engine.
I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
tjmartin317
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Type 3 Rust On Trans Tunnel. Reply with quote

Great! Absolutely great! 5 or 6 wires is nowhere near as bad as unplugging every little bit attached to the engine. Will dig into that more and more.

Before moving into that phase though, I’m guessing there’s some prep work to do (drain the engine of oil and remove battery to ensure I don’t accidentally kill my unlubricated engine). But since the car is full of oil as of now, I’d like to derail this thread one more time to talk about this newly noticed oil leak puddle:

I’ve had oil under the car since the day I first got it running (and even before that), but never this much. Went to make sure the engine was alive (I like to do that every week or two) when I saw my first drip. It lead to this puddle, long and lean, that points right at the connection of the engine and trans:

I’m guessing this is something that requires the engine to come out in order to fix anyways, but if anyone knows what needs fixing (rear main seal?) and how easy it is to fix (hopefully easy by comparison to body repair) that’d be great!

Oh, and Bob, your knowledge is invaluable, and I hope one day I can shake your hand. Thank you!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: