Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic transmission pan drain plugs
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renowestfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:33 am    Post subject: Automatic transmission pan drain plugs Reply with quote

I’m about to service my automatic trans (ATF and filter) and final drive gear oil. I have to drop both pans has anyone ever put in drain plugs in these pans for convenience in the future? Also what’s everyone using for gear oil? Thanks
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission pan drain plugs Reply with quote

Haven't owned a vanagon automatic, but over the years added drain plugs to my tow vehicle automatic pans. I would drain the automatic at the same time the oil was changed.

Ideally, you'd want a weld in drain plug set. If the insert protrudes too far into the pan, you won't get all the fluid out. Dexron Mercon is likely fine especially if you are changing when you change the oil. Others have used Type F to improve shifting on older units. No experience with that either.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission pan drain plugs Reply with quote

Changing half the oil at a half-interval is better than changing all the oil in one interval (which you can’t do anyway).
And it’s easier so you’re more likely to do it.
It's a really good plan for an antique vehicle where parts are going NLA.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Can you get all the oil out of the pan, sucking the dipstick tube?
I don't know anything about an automatic.
There could be a 'Van angle' where you can really suck it clean.👍🏽
But what you do get out, is replaced with fresh.

Making an oil suction rig is super easy, if you have a 5-gal bucket and it's lid.

All of the old oil, every drop!, goes directly into your "dirty oil jug".
There's no mess at all.
It's really a good system.

And you can suck your Power Steering reservoir dry at the same time.👍🏽

Don't worry about leaking some vacuum, you need a lot of leak to cool your shopvac motor.
And there's PLENTY vacuum left over to suck oil with even massive 80% leakage.
Who cares whether it's 30 sec or takes a whole minute?
Flog the internet for a few minutes - while it sucks your tube clean too.

The biggest time-saver is all your used oil, every single drop, is already in your waste-oil jug, all you have to do is cap it.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:50 am; edited 3 times in total
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission pan drain plugs Reply with quote

one day taking a transmission in to have it rebuilt, someone found a way to drain a transmission quickly.
the pans were both repaired.

619 201 0310
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission pan drain plugs Reply with quote

If you can weld, it's easy to weld a drain-bung over that hole, for the win.
Here I cut the threaded hole off a 3/8NPT Tee fitting and welded it into the cover.
And used a magnetic plug so I can get a little 'health report' too.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission pan drain plugs Reply with quote

I added a drain point on my transmission oil pan using a crush type drain plug.
No welding required.

I'm a big believer in "too frequent" oil changes.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission pan drain plugs Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

That's pretty smart!

When I first read your post my first thought was, "shoot, I just borrow the peri-pump from work when I want to do these sort of things. How much can one cost?".

https://us.vwr.com/store/item/NA5134400/masterflex-l-s-portable-sampling-pumps-avantor Shocked Shocked

I'll have to be more carefull with the thing!
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission pan drain plugs Reply with quote

The path of least resistance would be to get a fluid extrator pump. Like this https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&a...7ZHtClK1sk
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission pan drain plugs Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
one day taking a transmission in to have it rebuilt, someone found a way to drain a transmission quickly.
the pans were both repaired.

I’ve seen junkyards do something like above. A rubber plug is popped into the hole. It’s a quick way to drain used transmissions.
xflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission pan drain plugs Reply with quote

On a Vanagon auto there is no need for an drain plug for the automatic section. Just unscrew the dipstick tube and pull it out. Been done like that forever.
The final drive/differential is another situation. VW tells you to remove the pan which is a pain and you need a new gasket. One of the first things I did when I got my 89 campmobile with auto trans, was remove the pan, drill a hole in it and weld a nut over the hole. Similar to what others pictured above. I selected the nut to fit a drain plug I had on the shelf. Ended up having to use several sealing washers as the plug contacted the ring gear, so beware of that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission pan drain plugs Reply with quote

When you pull the auto pan for the service, dont mess with the dipstick tube. Royal pain. With a little finagling, the pan can be rotated and come off all together. Massive time saver!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
xflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission pan drain plugs Reply with quote

I try to avoid removing the pan as, after the mid-90s, the rubber gaskets were often too small. Many people say they want to take off the pan to clean the screen. Having worked on the VW automatics since the early 70s, I found that if there is junk in the screen the trans is failing.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission pan drain plugs Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
When you pull the auto pan for the service, dont mess with the dipstick tube. Royal pain. With a little finagling, the pan can be rotated and come off all together. Massive time saver!

For someone coming across this thread, there is a metal bracket bolted to the top of the differential housing with a 6mm bolt that secures the fill tube to the top of the differential housing. You need to remove the bolt to remove the pan with the tube connected to it.

To drain the fluid only, you can just loosen the upper bolt and assuming your fill tube nut is not seized or rounded off, you can undo the tube from the pan and swing it out of the way to drain it. Having the top bolt loose also helps in reconnecting the fill tube to the pan, it can be cross threaded if you are not careful.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission pan drain plugs Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

If you can weld, it's easy to weld a drain-bung over that hole, for the win.
Here I cut the threaded hole off a 3/8NPT Tee fitting and welded it into the cover.
And used a magnetic plug so I can get a little 'health report' too.
NICE WELD Sir..... Applause Applause Applause
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: