Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Quote:
Went to start the car for the rings break-in drive and found this fella..

When you get the engine running smoothly, you'll have earned a feather in your cap.

Embarassed
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Sadly, Nature had other plans for these Super Birds. Night before last the nest was missing one of the two eggs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This morning I woke up to this -

and this - Sad

I know nothing of bird behavior so not sure if this was the doings of a neighborhood car or other predator, or if my disturbing the nest the other day caused the birds to abort the eggs. Oh well...

Back to our regularly scheduled programming!!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Since the birdies are no longer an issue I cleared the nest and got to work. I turned it on again, and I'm pretty sure I have a massive exhaust leak that I think is at the points where the header meets the heads. Not sure if it's the #1/3 or 2/4 exits, or all of the above. The thing sounds as if I'm running it w/out an exhaust.

Also, I'm not sure what my timing is at. It starts right up but appears to be timed at like 20-25* at idle w/my timing light. If I retard it it ends up dying. Timing light is connected correctly to the #1 lead close to the spark plug.

I have to resolve the explosive exhaust leak before I can go any further. Not only would it violate noise ordinances around here and we're in an HOA-free zone - it's THAT loud - but I can't imagine it does the motor any good. My dual-heat riser/header combo may end up in the classifieds if I can't resolve this leak.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Good luck V, you got this
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Vamram, do you have a stock muffler (and single-preheater pipe intake manifold) which you can try in meantime? Where both flanges at the cylinder heads fit flush so that there is no air gap to the gaskets? You could install taper tips for slightly less restriction and a nicer sound. My friend in CT Stock Steve ran a chrome zoom tube pipe on his stock muffler; you might find a used one in the classifieds.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

You guys have a lot of faith, lol, I appreciate it. Rome, I usually ride w/a stock muffler and a zoom tube during spring and summer. Not ready to give up on this header yet. Turns out I DID have a massive exhaust leak, basically the #1 port was wide open. How's that possible, you may ask yourself? And you may ask yourself, how did I get here?? Let's just say, this was another "VAmram Moment." A regular Seinfeld episode.

Remember a while back I mentioned that the right heat exchanger had a weird angle against the valve cover...? Yeah. While forcing the header on a few weeks back, I somehow actually managed to install the heater box w/the FRONT flange only attached to the lower head bolt. The top edge of the flange was pressed up against the stud, rather than placed thru it. Unaware of my boo-boo, I proceeded to tighten down both retaining nuts. This caused the exchanger to sit at this weird angle against the head. And I ran the initial break-in like this. Applause Fucking genius, no other explanation... Embarassed Laughing

All's in place now, ready for the next run. Cool

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I have read that last paragraph three times and I still can't picture it in my head. Shocked
Did you install the heater boxes and header after the engine was in the car?
That might explain how you errored on the installation.

No matter. You got it sorted and are on the way to tuning.
The time light issue is a puzzler. Is it set to zero on the dial when checking timing?
My cheap HF light has a dial that is easy to move. I have to check it before I use it, all the time.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Yep, I installed the header and heater boxes with the motor already in the car. I've found it's easier to get leverage to install the muffler that way. The timing light is a good one, forget the brand at the moment. It defaults to 0* when 1st powered up and has the separate lead for checking the dwell. I never use that since I run compufire. Although I did leave the points and condenser in place on this distributor, for now.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Everything is connected properly now but i still have what sounds like a big exhaust leak. I'm not sure where it's coming from. I'm using copper exhaust port gaskets. And I have correct dual-heat riser gaskets in place as well. Everything is tightened down.

Sorry for the crappy video quality, I was working alone and trying to keep the throttle open w/one arm while filming w/the other. These are 2 videos strung together into one.

Link

Any ideas...?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

There's a number of ways to find exhaust leaks. I take soapy water and spray it where air can come out. I also take a shop vacuum and push it onto one of the pea shooters. I tape it to it. I plug the other one with tape. Then I find where air is coming out.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Heimlich - you're the man of the hour. I connected my shop vac to the muffler and set it to exhaust.

And found this at the base of the #4 exhaust port. A "bung hole" I guess...? Of course. Something I completely missed because my brain probably didn't process what my eyes were seeing...despite having bought this header well over a year ago.

Thing is about 3/4"-1" in diameter. Now to find a plug. Since this dual-heat riser was a CA thing, I'm guessing this was for an EGR setup. Wonder if an oil pressure relief plug would fit...?

[EDIT] Oil pressure relief plug is too big, and a spark plug is too small. Must be some weird in-between size. Off to home depot after work to look for an assortment of possibilities.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!

Last edited by vamram on Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

That is funny V. It must have been loud as he11
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Might you try one of your wheel lug bolts? Though it's thread pitch is 1.5 and your muffler hole looks like a finer thread. Then again, the lug bolt should be the same diameter as a spark plug- 14 mm. But it's worth a quick try.

What- no lockwasher under the muffler nut? Tsk tsk. And no anti-seize grease on the head studs? Or are you just keeping the muffler loose initially to massage it into position, and then tighten each fastener one by one?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Ah, oversight on the washer. Obviously, I've gotta slow down here. I did get the hole plugged w/a 3/8" brass plug.

I believe it still has an exhaust leak somewhere, and timing is way off. Tomorrow I'm picking up a bottle of old school white out (my 10-y/o bottle finally dried up), do another leak test w/the shop vac, and swap out the distributor for my restored 034 w/a compufire knockoff. I hate points and dwell and all that crap.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Hang loose Vamram. You've got all the time in the world. Two days ago it was being held hostage for the next two months with the bird eggs. Now the cat is full and you've got a two month head start.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Found the exhaust leak. The flange up against the #4 exhaust port doesn't seat flat, although hard to tell visually. I'm using the copper exhaust gaskets, but the surfaces are not sealing/seating, and I'll likely strip the studs if I tighten them any more.

I installed the 034 w/the compufire knock-off and it starts better and will actually idle. But I must've done something wrong in the motor assembly.

It will only idle at 27* BTDC. Shocked

I know for a fact the dots on the cam and crank shaft were properly lined up, and I have the pics a few pages back to show it. But obviously something is off about 25%. Suggestions...?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

If its all indexed correctly and is actually at 27 btdc at idle does that mean it advances to something like 50 btdc at 3000 rpm? If that is what is going on and its not pre-detonating at 3000 (knocking, pinging or popping holes in pistons), then is the carburetor dumping huge amounts of fuel in there that needs all that time to fire? Could this situation be fuel related if not timing? Just brainstorming.

(I had the float plastic clip installed backwards on my carburetor and that was holding the float down, letting fuel flow right down the throat as fast as the pump would push it. I noticed it because I've got an electric fuel pump and gas started pouring out before I even started the car so that's why I've got it on the mind.)
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

A couple of things.

First, I'm about to give up on this header, as it's leaking out of both rear exhaust ports and backfires badly from them when I take it to high RPMs and let go of the throttle.

Second, I'm wondering if the timing light is shot, as it reads exactly the same spot on the pulley - where I've got the white out mark on the TDC notch - regardless of which wire I connect spark plug wire clamp.

As for running rich, I suppose it could be. But carb is at the Bentley-recommended beginning spec of 2.5 turns out for both volume & idle screws. Throttle arm screw is set correctly as well. No flooding as far as I can tell and the car starts right away when I hit the key so I've got the timing pretty damn close.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Timing light is fine, I tested it against my daily driver '73.

If I believe the timing light when connected to this motor, I'm 30* advanced at an idle of 1000 RPM. Totally nuts. Lots of jitter in the light too, but at this point I can only guess. I've checked the spark plug wires to confirm the 1432 firing order about 50 times. Swapped distributors. Not a drop of oil leaking anywhere. Oil and alternator lights go as soon as it cranks on. I didn't bother to grab another video, unless y'all want to see anything else on this rig.

Only thing I can figure is that the cam and crankshaft dots weren't lined up properly when I did the final join of the case halves. I don't know enough to think what else it could be.

So, besides removing the header which won't seat properly and replacing it w/a stock dual heat riser muffler, I guess I have to drop the motor and split the case to double check the cam alignment.

Would you guys agree w/this...?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

What *I* think is you're more patient than I am. Sorry this does not actually contribute to the thread, but I would have come to the same conclusion. Far more knowledgeable members than me probably have appropriate suggestions, but the not knowing on the crank/cam alignment would drive me crazy. Against my better judgment, I would split the case just to ease my mind. ME. That's not my recommendation, I'm just stating my OCD.

H2OSB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Jump to:
Page 43 of 49

Jump to: