Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Red 9 Design in my Magnum GT / Suby conversion
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Racerx999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Red 9 Design in my Magnum GT / Suby conversion Reply with quote

I am fortunate to be having Special Edition the Beck Speedster, Spyder, Super Coup and GTS guys converting my Magnum GT from Mazda rotary power to 2.5L Subaru power. They are also installing the Red 9 Design double wishbone coil over front suspension with rack & Pinion steering. Red 9 design makes this suspension as a bolt in replacement for the type 1 H beam axle. They are located in the Netherlands and build the suspensions to order with 10-12 weeks build time after payment. I ordered the suspension from them about this time last year in anticipation of this work being done. I also ordered a special transaxle from Rancho that is built heavy duty to take the extra torque of the Suby engine and it geared to match the Suby power band. I have had two other of these transaxles and have loved them both this is project no. 3 that I have used this transaxle on. One was in a Speedster replica and the other was in a 1987 Puma with a 2.8L type 4 engine. Special Edition does detail oriented high-quality work. I am grateful that Carey took this job on. We have been planning this for over 16 months now. It is fun to watch the progress of this project. The end result should be an amazing ride. The car will have heat and A/C and will be daily driver dependable. See the pics of the progress so far. Red 9 design builds this type of suspension for VW buses as well. check them out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Red 9 Design in my Magnum GT / Suby conversion Reply with quote

I'm interested in knowing how much it improved the handling of your car.

Great car, love the design!!
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Red 9 Design in my Magnum GT / Suby conversion Reply with quote

Great looking Magnum!
Where will the radiator be mounted - guessing up under the nose? How will the cooling lines be run?
Did Red 9 get around to providing a sway bar for the front?
Jeff
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Red 9 Design in my Magnum GT / Suby conversion Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I'm interested in knowing how much it improved the handling of your car.

Yes same here.
I would like to know how it is with a lighter weight and street driven car.

All I have talked to is track racers and it is different....but better in the end.
As I understood it.....a track racer that had his VW beam and box dialed in with just adding the new unit did not make it quicker around the track. But once it was dialed in and tweaked/set up it became quicker.
With a bottom line that once you are down to hunting for those last few tenths it may be worth it. The number one "good thing" was the nice tight rack and being rid of the short tie rod bump steer.

But....
What does it do on the street?
That is a whole different set of needs there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Racerx999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Red 9 Design in my Magnum GT / Suby conversion Reply with quote

I will report on how the suspension does on the street once the car is finished and ready to be driven. No sway bar provision by Red 9 design. I will be interested to see if it needs one for the way I drive. The radiator mounts in the nose of the car and the coolant lines will be 5/8"flexible nylon mesh covered lines with AN fittings. This is what Special Edition has been using on Suby powered cars they build for over 15 years, and they work great. The car was built and plumbed with copper pipe coolant lines 20 years ago and the insides are all corroded so they were removed and are being replaced with the special flexible lines. The car bottom has a tunnel that is perfect for the routing and protection of the coolant lines, A/C lines and heater core lines. My steering box needed to be replaced and it got me thinking about upgrading the suspension. I am looking forward to the tight feel of having rack and pinion steering instead of the sloppy steering box and worn-out steering shaft coupler that was on the car. I will keep posting the progress of the project. The Special Editon guys do some amazing work. Being partnered with a living legend Chuck Beck is a big plus too.
Roadbeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Red 9 Design in my Magnum GT / Suby conversion Reply with quote

There was Magnum about 15 miles from me 30 years ago. One of my favorite bodies. It had the V6 in it but couldn't keep it cool, and wanted too much money for it. Interested to see how your handling upgrades work out, they should match the looks of the car nicely!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: