Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help installing wiper motor on a 1965 volkswagen single cab
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bhmyers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: Need help installing wiper motor on a 1965 volkswagen single cab Reply with quote

I have a 1965 single cab and recently bought a 6v to 12v conversion motor from WW. I need help locating the wiper motor to pull it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help installing wiper motor on a 1965 volkswagen single cab Reply with quote

It is center above the package tray below the dash.

You really need to get this manual ASAP:

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=book4

Probably can get a good used copy for less online, or VW swap meet, or local used book shop. Yes, it is expensive at first look, but you will find it inexpensive due to the huge amount of info in it.
Bhmyers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help installing wiper motor on a 1965 volkswagen single cab Reply with quote

I will order one, thank you.

Brandon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help installing wiper motor on a 1965 volkswagen single cab Reply with quote

You might check but I have a 1965 and from what I have read the conversion armatures won’t work as these are different, one year only.
Bhmyers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help installing wiper motor on a 1965 volkswagen single cab Reply with quote

I have heard that the 65 is a one year only. Does anyone know if the WW conversion to 12v will work?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help installing wiper motor on a 1965 volkswagen single cab Reply with quote

Bhmyers wrote:
I have heard that the 65 is a one year only. Does anyone know if the WW conversion to 12v will work?

Post an image of the wiper motor, especially the side that has the terminals connecting it to the bus. 1965 is a different wiper motor. Still, there is a good work around to keep the 6 volt motor working well on a 12 volt system, and you can add infinite speed control with a PWM.
Bhmyers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help installing wiper motor on a 1965 volkswagen single cab Reply with quote

I plan to work on removing it tomorrow and will post some pics. It looks to be a pain to take it out. I appreciate the help.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help installing wiper motor on a 1965 volkswagen single cab Reply with quote

65 is one year only because it has the ‘self parking’ feature. I’m pretty sure an earlier motor will work if you wire it right and it’s the correct voltage.
66-67 shafts sit a couple inches farther apart, so the actual assembly won’t fit.
Bhmyers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need help installing wiper motor on a 1965 volkswagen single cab Reply with quote

Update: here is a before and after picture of the 6v to 12v conversion.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Before update

After update
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Need help installing wiper motor on a 1965 volkswagen single cab Reply with quote

Good time to repack the wiper motor gear box with new grease. Old stuff will be hardened up and makes the wipers so noisy you will have to yell over.

Also best to take the wiper shafts apart for cleaning out old grease and putting in new. Same with linkage pivots.
Bhmyers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Need help installing wiper motor on a 1965 volkswagen single cab Reply with quote

Ahhh yes, thank you, I will do that. Is it a pain? The previous owner had disconnected the wiring since the wipers were 6V which impacted other things. It will be nice to have all the electronics working.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Need help installing wiper motor on a 1965 volkswagen single cab Reply with quote

Bhmyers wrote:
Ahhh yes, thank you, I will do that. Is it a pain? The previous owner had disconnected the wiring since the wipers were 6V which impacted other things. It will be nice to have all the electronics working.

It is all pretty easy if you are experienced with mechanical work. Do keep an eye out for a small spring washer against one of the gears in the gear box, easy to loose that.

Do not over fill the gear box with new grease. Use about same as the old grease you take out.

Please do post an image of the wiring terminals on the wiper motor.
Bhmyers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Need help installing wiper motor on a 1965 volkswagen single cab Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the wiring on the motor side.

Bhmyers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Need help installing wiper motor on a 1965 volkswagen single cab Reply with quote

Update: after wiring it up its a no go, motor housing was warm, but the motor did not engage. Back to the drawing board.
Bhmyers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help installing wiper motor on a 1965 volkswagen single cab Reply with quote

This is giving me a bit of a headache. Attached is the wiring diagram I only have three prongs off the wiper motor, the orange, the black and the black/purple. what is the forth connection in the picture, the arrow down, I would have thought the black wire is a ground.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help installing wiper motor on a 1965 volkswagen single cab Reply with quote

Do you have the wires on the correct terminals? See the numbers on the diagram, should be numbers at each terminal on your wiper motor.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help installing wiper motor on a 1965 volkswagen single cab Reply with quote

In the Euro wiring system Black wire should be power switched by ignition switch. While a Brown wire is ground. Think the wire you have as Orange is actually Brown.

The short black wire on the diagram is ground. Note the funny kind of upside down X-mas tree that is a ground symbol.

The earlier wiper motors had a very short ground wire that was often any color due to VW electing to use and bits of left over wire for that since it was not long enough to be a problem to be traced to where it went to the body.

Bhmyers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help installing wiper motor on a 1965 volkswagen single cab Reply with quote

I took pictures before to ensure the wiring was the same before I touched it. In the picture above, the three prongs are not the same distance from one another, the black is the furtherest from the others, I will double check but I feel its correct.
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help installing wiper motor on a 1965 volkswagen single cab Reply with quote

Mine is wired the same way as yours, the wiring diagram is a little misleading. The actual ground is a copper or brass strap that grounds the motor to the mounting bolt.
Bhmyers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help installing wiper motor on a 1965 volkswagen single cab Reply with quote

Mile High Puma wrote:
Mine is wired the same way as yours, the wiring diagram is a little misleading. The actual ground is a copper or brass strap that grounds the motor to the mounting bolt.

Are you still on a 6v system? If not how did you convert your wiper motor?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: