Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Delta 20" band saw question.
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:03 am    Post subject: Delta 20" band saw question. Reply with quote

Hi Samba genius'.
My vocational school gave me a Delta 20" model 28-640 bandsaw from one of their other buildings, as replacement saw. I have received the manual from Delta and it states as with most large bandsaws to turn the tension wheel to add tension to the blade. Note I also have another 17" bandsaw and have no problem adding/reducing tension to the blade.

The problem is that the tension wheel doesn't turn because the grey tab (which I labeled A) hits the elliptical slot opening (I labeled B). Can anyone tell me what is wrong? BTW Delta keeps referring me to the manual.
Thank you kindly,
Linda

My labeled image:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My youtube:

Link

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Delta 20" band saw question. Reply with quote

I have had a few band saws over the years, even a Delta, but I am really having a tough time envisioning what's happening here. Maybe a little more overall video with more frame of reference?

The last Delta I had the pensioner setup was actually broken into pieces. It was a cast iron part as I recall. Not sure if it was still available new, but I found used ones online. Sold it to a father/son team that were exited to fix it up.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Delta 20" band saw question. Reply with quote

I'll try and get another video up after school today.
This is the saw from an online image. If you look at the youtube I made the tension wheel won't turn but a 1/4" or less in either direction and looking at the image you can see why. Is there something missing I'm supposed to do?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cdennisg wrote:
I have had a few band saws over the years, even a Delta, but I am really having a tough time envisioning what's happening here. Maybe a little more overall video with more frame of reference?

The last Delta I had the pensioner setup was actually broken into pieces. It was a cast iron part as I recall. Not sure if it was still available new, but I found used ones online. Sold it to a father/son team that were exited to fix it up.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Delta 20" band saw question. Reply with quote

I am guessing you gotta dig deeper. Something bound, seized or broken.

That is a nice saw and very much worth fixing.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Delta 20" band saw question. Reply with quote

I spoke with Delta and they said the unit is bad/broken etc. Then I contacted a guy who teaches shop also and he said it appears someone took the saw apart and didn't put it back together properly. I'm not going to fix it I'm returning it. It's hard enough to get blades around here because of budget cuts I don't want to get knee deep if repairs out of pocket.

Thanks for your help and I'm glad to finally have an answer I can live with.

cdennisg wrote:
I am guessing you gotta dig deeper. Something bound, seized or broken.

That is a nice saw and very much worth fixing.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Delta 20" band saw question. Reply with quote

That is a nice saw! I'll go out on a limb here & say that Delta is trying to make another sale. I have a much simpler & cheaper 14" band saw where the tensioner block rides in vertical slots. A long threaded screw with a knob regulates the tension. Very simple. If you were closer, I'd take the saw off of your hands.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Delta 20" band saw question. Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
That is a nice saw! I'll go out on a limb here & say that Delta is trying to make another sale. I have a much simpler & cheaper 14" band saw where the tensioner block rides in vertical slots. A long threaded screw with a knob regulates the tension. Very simple. If you were closer, I'd take the saw off of your hands.

It belongs to the school where she works. You might be able to buy it at auction or something, but I doubt she can give it to you.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Delta 20" band saw question. Reply with quote

Don't say I didn't offer.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Delta 20" band saw question. Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd take the saw off of your hands.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Read carefully.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Delta 20" band saw question. Reply with quote

Correct it belongs to the school and was headed to auction when I got it. It’s a very good saw and I would love to own and repair it too. I also have the same 14” saw as mentioned which also needs parts and appears I’ll be buying those parts out of pocket if obtainable. I may shop around and get a technician to determine what it will cost to repair the 20”. Biggest problem is getting parts and holding the repair person/company liable for services.

cdennisg wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:

It belongs to the school where she works. You might be able to buy it at auction or something, but I doubt she can give it to you.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Delta 20" band saw question. Reply with quote

Okay, I'm feeling like a student today!
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Delta 20" band saw question. Reply with quote

After joining woodworking groups and posting loads of images and videos it appears that the mechanism is just frozen. Now I'm searching how to dissemble and get the tension wheel to loosen as the pin-like part should move up and down as the tension wheel turns not side to side as in the youtube I made shows.

Any tips on getting that loose appreciated.
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Delta 20" band saw question. Reply with quote

Bring it up to Port Jeff and I’lll let you see her sawing in a jiffy.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Delta 20" band saw question. Reply with quote

Thanks but it weighs 600 lbs LOL.
I'll disassemble it in my classroom and clean it up. It appears very clean, and I'm hopeful it will not be difficult to take apart however it seems so odd that it is so frozen. It is a beautiful machine with a foot brake to stop the spin when powered down. I want to keep it.

Abscate wrote:
Bring it up to Port Jeff and I’lll let you see her sawing in a jiffy.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Delta 20" band saw question. Reply with quote

Petesakes - there are not that many moving parts in a bandsaw.

Free is the best - when I get them normally they are in pieces.

There is just the tensioner and some angle compensator for the blade/wheel at the top. That is it!

That thing you are messing w/ may be the lock-out of sort for either the tensioner or angle-compensator or adjuster. YOu get the point.

That is about it. Goodness - Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: