Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Selling Market Advice Needed
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisknight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Selling Market Advice Needed Reply with quote

I want to sell my Vanagon Westfalia and ask for advice.

I have a full written appraisal 2 years ago for $50k. It is a prime van to sell as far as condition/extras but I have no idea what the market is like today for a seller. Please give me your advice, thank you.

UPDATE!
Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts, it helped me make some decisions.

FYI: the reason for certified appraisals is for insurance. We have a policy on the appraisal amount for full replacement costs without debate. Yes, we pay much higher premiums for this policy but when you have a vehicle that is KBB for a few $k's and yet the market value is much higher, this is a solid solution as we have learned from multiple friends that have not gone this route and those who successfully have (and they say it's was worth every penny for their replacement costs when the vehicle was totaled).
We also travel internationally with the van for months on end and have to get insurance policies for each country having the appraisal when getting insurance is key!

Last edited by chrisknight on Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Selling Market Advice Needed Reply with quote

I believe that the market was higher a couple of years ago, but that it is still (obscenely) high. Without knowing anything about your Vanagon or what goodies it has that resulted in the assessment, I can only give general advice.

(1.) Photograph the heck out of it. Inside and out, underneath, everything!
(2.) Time your sale to the weather (ie: when it begins to warm up).
(3.) Inform your favorite Vanagon boutique that it’s up for sale.
(4.) Understand that appraisals are helpful, but do not completely dictate what a person will actually pay you.
(5.) Watch what the Vanagons in your area are actually selling for. Asking prices are often fantasies.

Good luck!

1987 Westy
1971 Westy
Empty pockets
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Selling Market Advice Needed Reply with quote

I agree with everything static suggests. Assuming your Vanagon has been well cared for, I would add that the more documentation you have about the history, service and repairs, the better.

Depending on where you live, you may not have many Vanagons up for sale, let alone any that are a close match to yours for comparison. You could try the Hagerty valuation tool on their website:

https://www.hagerty.com/valuation-tools

It will only provide limited info if you are not a member, but it is probably worth a nominal membership fee to have access to a more detailed criteria-based valuation if you are thinking $50K-ish is in the ballpark.

Another alternative is to contact Hagerty for an insurance quote. They will use the info you provide about the vehicle, its condition and your location to provide an estimated value. Grundy and other classic car insurers would probably do the same.

These estimates would give you a pretty objective starting point and something to show prospective buyers if they make low offers.

Good luck!

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Selling Market Advice Needed Reply with quote

I would put it on Bring a Trailer

Appraisals are BS. They are always way way high. I don't get why people even bother. And I don't understand people that stick by their ridiculous appraisals. I'm not meaning you, overall it's a sham

Hagerty wont even insure a westy so II don't know how that helps Laughing

Spring is the time to sell, Europe has classically been the place to sell... they have holiday and actually use their buses, but vanagon westys are getting more and more popular.

Best of luck
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Selling Market Advice Needed Reply with quote

Be realistic. look at E bay for past sales, They are the best indicator of actual sale prices and not what people are asking.
Take any Non stock parts off if you have the stock parts and sell them separately. Things like awnings and racks don't get you any extra money.
BAT is good but you only have 7 days to sell. Samba is full of bottom feeders and newbies. I think a E bay classified or Auto Trader is best as a search will bring up anything listed anywhere. My buddy just sold his Fire Truck but because there were not 2 people fighting over it he didn't get what he wanted.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Selling Market Advice Needed Reply with quote

I am with Erik G-Bring a Trailer!
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Selling Market Advice Needed Reply with quote

All anything is worth is whatever your ability is to find a willing buyer. I could tell you it's worth a hundred grand but if the highest offer you receive is only twenty grand than that is all it's worth.

Without pictures this post is worthless.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: