Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Upholstery Question
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Upholstery Question Reply with quote

This involves turning a 90 degree corner with "pleather" with only 1/4" of run out.

What I'm thinking is, which would be better. Glue the vertical face, let dry, apply now glue to the return and face, wrap the 1/4" in and clamp.

The clamp is part of the radio trim.

Or glue the top 1/4" of the return, clamp, dry. Then glue the face. those adhesives you use for glueing are not very forgiving. It may be better to focus on getting the face around the radio opening square.

I have one face cut to net on the top, 2 1/4 inches to center 2" of wood and the 1/4" return. I believe I'll try glueing the face and around the radio first and then wrap the top and install the trim. Of course I didn't consider loss of length rounding the curve so there's not a full 1/4 to glue down.

Here's what I'm trying to do.

As is now:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mock up of new face and trim:

What's the best adhesive / glue? Spray or brush?

Thanks for your time.
dgsaz
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery Question Reply with quote

Your description is a bit confusing, are you proposing to cover the face of the panel with vinyl and are wondering about how to do the corners where it wraps around the edge?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery Question Reply with quote

If you don’t get that tuning dial straight my ADHD is going to breakout into my polydactyl toes
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery Question Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Your description is a bit confusing, are you proposing to cover the face of the panel with vinyl and are wondering about how to do the corners where it wraps around the edge?

Yes, at the top and bottom. The ends have a tucked in cover that is not a problem, just the top and bottom.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery Question Reply with quote

OK, well that stuff usually has some stretch, usually what I do is glue it to the face and slice off the corners straight across on a 45 degree angle almost flush with the upper corner of the base material, then flip it and spray the back as well as he flaps with glue. Then warm it all up with a heat gun and stretch each remaining flap evenly around the side and wrap underneath (staples?), the edge of your cut should stretch 1/4" and end up on the back side, especially if you warm it part way into the front face so some of that moves and stretches too.
The challenge may be on the skinny parts each side of the radio hole, the reduced surface area will not give you as much stretch, maybe leave 1/8" from the corner before you slice it off. But an inner corner should be covered by the escution so does it matter?

For glue I use 3M #77 or 3M #90, but good old contact cement is great for little parts like that too (not the water based stuff), if it's only a few hours old you can repostion it with a heat gun.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Upholstery Question Reply with quote

nice oak with 12 coats of polyurathane does just fine.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery Question Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:

Until winter comes and the difference in expansion rate between the wood and the finish will leave a thousand hairline cracks in polyurethane applied that thick!
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Upholstery Question Reply with quote

Big progress.

I secured the top edge with glue and placed the top trim piece to hold.

Trimmed an opening for the controls and glue the face. This came off well.

Next step is to glue, trim and secure the bottom with trim piece.

Then install the side trims and radio face. The rest is easy and it should look pretty good.

This is almost the last item on the bus before I proclaim it DONE and only requiring periodic maintenance. ( que snickers and eye rolls). The list can now be counted on one hand,

dgsaz
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery Question Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

Until winter comes and the difference in expansion rate between the wood and the finish will leave a thousand hairline cracks in polyurethane applied that thick!

A good spar varnish from a marine shop. More than enough flex for oak.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery Question Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

I never had any issue with it. my bugs dash & glove box door was 3/4" oak.15 years still looked great. but yes after about 12 years there was some slight lines visable. I wish i had taken pics of it but I didnt after all it was just a bug. I used the spray polyurathane clear. name brand, but I dont remember the name,, somereason I remember donuts..I think the name & logo looked sorta like the entmans donut logo.
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Upholstery Question Reply with quote

Done:

dgsaz
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Upholstery Question Reply with quote

if thats the look your after thattell doo. what is the geartrain for?
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery Question Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
if thats the look your after thattell doo. what is the geartrain for?
sf

I had them from something.

Besides gears are always turning, rust never sleeps, and a rolling stone gathers no moss, it was built for comfort,not built for speed and it was a great idea at the time, I may have been high and was not supervised.

Plus I had a space for them. I will come up with an elaborate story involving time travel, portals, maybe the Knights Templar, who knows?

I drained the original oil from the oil tank on my Triumph. It had clotted and came out lumpy. The fork oil looked like it was put in yesterday. 66 year old oil.

VeeDubn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery Question Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:
Done:

dgsaz

Very nicely done!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: