Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bleeder screw size?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
VanGeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Bleeder screw size? Reply with quote

Based on the service records and appearance of the fluid, the Eurovan I purchased is at least a few years overdue for a fluid change.

Using a power bleeder (they work really well!) and the bleeders were very crusty and stuck. I successfully broke-loose three of them with some penetrating oil and hammer taps on the screw and caliper. However, the left-rear is really stuck.

I'm using an 11mm flare wrench and have unfortunately already somewhat rounded the nut with it. Trying to be patient with more time for the penetrating oil and some add'l taps. Will hopefully loosen this bleeder as well, but the bleeder screw nut will be in bad shape.

In searching for new bleeder screw replacements, I see several auto parts sites showing different manufacturer part numbers and sizes. Mine all have an 11mm nut. Can someone confirm the correct size and/or (even better) replacement part numbers?

Also -- any advice for how I can more effectively loosen my 4th bleeder screw without breaking it is appreciated...
Saturn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bleeder screw size? Reply with quote

VanGeek wrote:

Also -- any advice for how I can more effectively loosen my 4th bleeder screw without breaking it is appreciated...

Have you tried using a socket instead of a wrench/flaired wrench on the bleeder to try and loosen it? Using a socket set up can make it easier to tap on the handle to see if repeated shocks will get the bleeder turning. Make sure the socket is on there square and not angled as that can easily shear off a stubborn bleeder, the same with using excessive (gorilla-like) force on it. Also, have you applied any heat to the bleeder thread area?

Another approach you might want to try is using an 7/16 socket as those are pretty much the same width as an 11mm.

On an aside, an interesting factory tool Volvo made and I have in my collection is a wrench with a hollow handle and integrated hose to loosen, bleed and tighten the caliper bleeder nipple.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bleeder screw size? Reply with quote

Here's a trick I was shown years ago that has worked for me many times.
Of course, a bit of penetrating fluid is a good idea, but my trick is, try tightening it until it feels like it barley moves, then loosen. Works 90% of the time for me. Go easy.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bleeder screw size? Reply with quote

when putting ANY bleed nipple into any vehicle, clutch brake or hydraulic, l always wrap teflon tape around the threads, it helps prevent leaks between the threads of the nipple and the cylinder, and if vacuum is your chosen method of bleeding the brakes, with teflon tape on the threads, you won't be sucking air in through the threads, just fluid through from the front.
and lastly, teflon tape will help prevent bleed nipples snapping off, as they won't get seized into what ever they are threaded into.

619 201 0310
1994Karuso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bleeder screw size? Reply with quote

I put a broken drill bit into the bleeder before trying to loosen them. It will prevent the bleeder from collapsing and help keep it from shearing off.
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Bleeder screw size? Reply with quote

1994Karuso wrote:
I put a broken drill bit into the bleeder before trying to loosen them. It will prevent the bleeder from collapsing and help keep it from shearing off.

Oh that's a good tip!
VanGeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bleeder screw size? Reply with quote

This is not the bleeder screw you're looking for.
Even though it shows up on rockauto, O'Reilly's, amazon, and several other sites as "the screw" compatible with late model T4 rear calipers. Too long and skinny.

It's an H9413 available under several different brands and different suppliers.

If anyone has a correct part number from a reputable supplier please share. I think I can extract the old screw but it's in poor condition.

jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bleeder screw size? Reply with quote

This is what I'd do.
1. Fill up the brake reservoir
2. Remove the other side brake bleeder and measure it.
3. Replace that bleeder.
4. Go to a place like NAPA and see what you can find that gets close.

If you don't want to drain the whole system (which you don't want to) then get ready and find a bolt to stick in the bleeder screw hole to keep it from leaking out. Then take existing bleeder screw to NAPA. I only say NAPA because they typically have tons of oddball things. I bet they will have something close. All you need is the diameter and thread pitch. Then the length needs to be at a minimum, same as stock. Longer and hex size is no big deal.

Another option, buy this. I bet the large one in this $8.23 kit will work.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-Help-13949-Bleeder-Assortment/dp/B000CO8ZW4

Final option, they sell refurbished calipers for the Eurovan for around $70ea at Autozone.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bleeder screw size? Reply with quote

at a guess, l'd say the bleed nipple in question, it M10x1.0mm thread.
a common size, when an original bleed nipple has to be drilled out and replaced, when calipers are being reconditioned.

VanGeek wrote:
This is not the bleeder screw you're looking for.
Even though it shows up on rockauto, O'Reilly's, amazon, and several other sites as "the screw" compatible with late model T4 rear calipers. Too long and skinny.

It's an H9413 available under several different brands and different suppliers.

If anyone has a correct part number from a reputable supplier please share. I think I can extract the old screw but it's in poor condition.

619 201 0310
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bleeder screw size? Reply with quote

My plan would be:

Take it up to the hardware store and measure it on their gauge thing in the nuts and bolts aisle to be sure. Then measure length , in mm. Google results for brake blender M(thread measurement) X length.

A lot of shops would have a tool to measure the threads or a good tech can tell at a glance. I’m not experienced enough to do that over the interwebz. Markswagen is a pro well known in vanagon world, so you can also generally trust his advice.

A good old school Napa is also a great idea. I’m lucky to have one near me if I brought them the bleeder they’d bring a box out of options for us to look at. Some are nothing more than another parts store though.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bleeder screw size? Reply with quote

Quote:
A good old school Napa is also a great idea. I’m lucky to have one near me if I brought them the bleeder they’d bring a box out of options for us to look at. Some are nothing more than another parts store though.

Usually how NAPA works out, as they hire old retired guys to drive their delivery parts trucks. If one of those guys is sitting around waiting to go out on another delivery, then they are of great service.

I ran into this just last year. I had to get my dads 1968 Bus up and running again to get it out of the garage. This has a Porsche 911 engine in it with carbs. The fuel pump (which is electric) was leaking. I went to NAPA and had to explain to them what I needed. The old guy sitting there knew exactly what needed and went to the back and found it. He was not even the one helping me. This was a NAPA that was only 2 years old.
VanGeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bleeder screw size? Reply with quote

MYSTERY SOLVED.....

Using the Dorman accessory kit, the M10 x 1.0 threaded bleeder screw fits and is workable, but it's over 5mm longer than the OEM screw. It opens and seals the bleeder opening and seems to work fine -- but I'd prefer a screw that doesn't stick-out so far.

The Dorman screw is spec'd at 35mm from tip to tail. My measurements suggest it's closer to 34mm.

The 10mm OEM screw measures 28mm from tip to tail. I searched online and found a lot of 35mm+ length screws. A few more at 30mm.

This one is just over 29mm and it available and economical. It's also stainless (some are steel or aluminum but ours seem to be steel) -- I'm going to use it... https://www.amazon.com/4LIFETIMELINES-Stainless-Bleeder-M10x1-0-Millimeter/dp/B08Q68H6HH

This one also looks good. Says 30mm but has a pointy tip like the original and an 11mm nut on the end. Ships from Latvia and I don't want to wait a month for it but worth considering if you need one and can wait: https://www.ebay.com/itm/303739137740
VanGeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bleeder screw size? Reply with quote

The amazon bleeder screws arrived today. They're not perfect -- slightly taller and have 10mm instead of 11mm head. But the fit is acceptable. See comparison to mangled original below and the new screw (driver side) compared to the original style (passenger side)

soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bleeder screw size? Reply with quote

That looks like that will work!

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bleeder screw size? Reply with quote

A taller one is better than one that is too short. Now you can move on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: