Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 1.7 Heads Interchange
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Pepperbilly wrote:
Chris,

Two different types of intake manifold gaskets. The 1.7 heads had 4 studs for mounting. 1.8 and 2.0 had 3 studs for mounting.

Bill

Only the 2.0 914 heads should have three studs. Ray

Thanks Ray, I stand corrected
Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Pepperbilly wrote:
Chris,

Two different types of intake manifold gaskets. The 1.7 heads had 4 studs for mounting. 1.8 and 2.0 had 3 studs for mounting.

Bill

Only the 2.0 914 heads should have three studs. Ray

Thanks Ray, I stand corrected
Bill

But....be be on the lookout for some well meaning counterfeits out there...that may be worth having. The 914 2.0 intake runners with 3 stud holes are the biggest diameter runners and....adding a third stud in the middle and matchporting can actually do well a hot 1.7L Its not unkown! Wink

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

Quick update. I've been cleaning all the crud off the 412 motor for the past few days while also giving my little sonic cleaner a workout.

I finally pulled the heads off the 1.7 CB VW Canada "Rebuilt" engine. After spraying the chambers down with some carb cleaner. they look really nice. I'm honestly wondering if these are brand new 1.7 VW heads or if they were rebuilt. Any thoughts on how to confirm?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, take a look at the rocker box on the VW Canada engine. Keep in mind, this thing has been sitting since 1983! Pretty clean.

I drilled out the #3 boss for TS2 the other night and will tap it tomorrow once my order arrives. I still need to drill and tap the vents on both heads, then I will thoroughly clean them and get them installed on the 412 engine.

71' Super Beetle
1968cc DP

73' 412 Sedan
1679cc FI

75' Westy
1800cc FI
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

[quote="raygreenwood"][quote="Pepperbilly"]
raygreenwood wrote:

But....be be on the lookout for some well meaning counterfeits out there...that may be worth having. The 914 2.0 intake runners with 3 stud holes are the biggest diameter runners and....adding a third stud in the middle and matchporting can actually do well a hot 1.7L Its not unkown! Wink

Ray

Yes the 914 2.0 runners are the best of the original VWs. One can also drill the two extra holes in the maifold flange and make them fit to matchported 1.7 heads.
From memory I, on each side, had to use two of the 5mm thick bakelite gaskets and one of them grinded to angle to make the runners point to the plenum in the most correct way.

/Lars S

Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

sallittjob wrote:
After spraying the chambers down with some carb cleaner. they look really nice. I'm honestly wondering if these are brand new 1.7 VW heads or if they were rebuilt. Any thoughts on how to confirm? [/img]

They do look very good. I believe they have been rebuilt because they appear to have been flycut, the original new heads don't have the same machining marks as do yours. The machining marks on a genuine new head are finer. But you have brand new genuine intake valves, and overall from the photos they appear very good. Photo is an NOS head. It would have been typical for VW of Canada to use new genuine valves. The head in your photos was never run?

sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:

They do look very good. I believe they have been rebuilt because they appear to have been flycut, the original new heads don't have the same machining marks as do yours. The machining marks on a genuine new head are finer. But you have brand new genuine intake valves, and overall from the photos they appear very good. Photo is an NOS head. It would have been typical for VW of Canada to use new genuine valves. The head in your photos was never run?

Hey Scott, yes these heads were never run. The engine I took them off is a 1.7 "CB" bus motor that was rebuilt by VW Canada in 1983. The long block was stored all this time with the caps and tags still attached. Never fired up. I found it locally years ago and had to buy it.

71' Super Beetle
1968cc DP

73' 412 Sedan
1679cc FI

75' Westy
1800cc FI
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

Quick update:

She's back together and running like a top!

Pretty cool to see parts that have sat for 40 years back in action.

I installed a DD CHT gauge in the #3 head during rebuild. Still need to hook up the gauge and see what temps I'm running. I took it for a test drive the other day and it ran really nice. Thanks to everyone who chimed in and helped me out! Hopefully the next time I pull the engine, it will be to install a 4 speed manual. If anyone can help me track one down with all the necessary parts, I'm interested.

-Chris

71' Super Beetle
1968cc DP

73' 412 Sedan
1679cc FI

75' Westy
1800cc FI
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

Beauty looking engine. Well done, great attention to detail.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

Are the painted white numbers on your tin “521”? I am trying to make sense of the numbers. My number is “567”. Your engine looks good in there!

Bill
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Hi Chris,

Are the painted white numbers on your tin “521”? I am trying to make sense of the numbers. My number is “567”. Your engine looks good in there!

Bill

Hey Bill. Yep, 521. I decided against blasting and painting all the tin because I didn't want to remove those factory ID numbers and I also wanted to maintain more of an "original" feel. Thanks to you and Scott for the compliments!

71' Super Beetle
1968cc DP

73' 412 Sedan
1679cc FI

75' Westy
1800cc FI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: