Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus with no factory heat
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1994Brazillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Bus with no factory heat Reply with quote

Hey everyone

I purchased a Brazilian bus that came with no factory heat. I really want an option that could take some of the chill off and defrost the windows. I live in Ga so climate is relatively warm and in extreme cold I would just take the car. Does anyone make a unit that runs off of propane etc that would fit the bill and keep off the chill?
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bus with no factory heat Reply with quote

Search the Bay forum with "propane heater" or "diesel heater" (title only box checked), and ye shall find.
Ditto for the Vanagon forum.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bus with no factory heat Reply with quote

a PROPEX is what you seek

many will tell you to use a chinese diesel heater

if you're cheap, the latter can't be beat
if you already have propane on-board for a stove, the former is the logical choice (want to add a diesel tank?)

the propex is, in theory, more trustworthy ... very common on UK bus builds
the CDH is obscenely price effective, $100+ is common
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus with no factory heat Reply with quote

Does it lack any and all heater components? Or maybe just missing the heat exchangers?
1994Brazillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus with no factory heat Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Does it lack any and all heater components? Or maybe just missing the heat exchangers?

It’s missing everything. Dash levers on back to the heat boxes.
1994Brazillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus with no factory heat Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience routing the heat from a propex to the dash in a transporter?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus with no factory heat Reply with quote

I’ve installed a propex before into a 1968 bus. It’s purpose was to heat the cabin but it seems to me that with some effort it wouldn’t be too hard to install some ducts and a booster fan to move heat up front. Not a cheap endeavor though plus the propane causes the windows to fog which is the opposite of what you want.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=668162&highlight=propex
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus with no factory heat Reply with quote

It would be nice to know what engine you have. We can assume a 1600 Type 1 engine, but we know very little about your actual bus.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus with no factory heat Reply with quote

I will vote for the diesel heater. A propane heater would be nice if you already have it plumbed in, but at about 10% of the cost, it’s hard to beat the Chinese Diesel Heater.
I’ve run them in 2 Busses and an Eriba Puck trailer, and I don’t have any regrets.
I’m currently figuring out the best way to route the heater through the main heater tube up to the dash vents on a new Bus. I think it’s the best heat for the least money you can spend.
Right now, I can buy a CDH on Amazon for about $110 CAD ($80 USD) for a complete kit, including all hose clamps and fittings. A Propex would run me about $1500 USD.I guess it depends on your budget. If my pockets were deep, I’d go Propex. But to me, the extra money is better spent on other Bus projects.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus with no factory heat Reply with quote

You might wish to join the British based, Brazilian Bay Forum; there being lots of these vehicles in the United Kingdom, including motor-caravan conversions.

https://brazilianvwbay.forumotion.com

https://brazilianvwbay.forumotion.com/f4-aircooled

VW Beetles (UK) Ltd / Danbury Motorcaravans have experience of retro-fitting the Propex gas-fired (i.e. LPG, propane or butane) or Webasto heating systems to these 1997 onward vehicles, imported new from Brazil, with the VW 1600 Type 1 style air-cooled engine, catalytic converter & Bosch Digifant electronic fuel-injection [as factory-fitted to late-model, Mexican VW Type 1 Beetles], which was commonly re-chipped to liberate more torque & power from the British high-octane petrol (i.e. gasoline in USA parlance!?!).

https://www.danburycampervans.co.uk

https://brazilianvwbay.forumotion.com/search?mode=...lts=topics

ttps://brazilianvwbay.forumotion.com/search?mode=searchbox&search_keywords=Webasto&show_results=topics

https://www.justkampers.com/vw-brazilian-bay-windo...stems.html

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/eu/volkswagen/type-2-bay/heating-ventilation.html

https://blog.heritagepartscentre.com/blog/2014/12/30/brazilian-kombi-buyers-guide/

https://www.kustomrevival.com/customers-rides/volkswagen-brazilian-bay-campers/

https://t2bay.blogspot.com/2018/10/brazilian-uga-engine-differences.html

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1994Brazillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bus with no factory heat Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
It would be nice to know what engine you have. We can assume a 1600 Type 1 engine, but we know very little about your actual bus.

Ii is a 1600 type 1 engine. Let me know what other information is helpful.
1994Brazillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bus with no factory heat Reply with quote

Does anyone have a brand of CDH they recommend? also Where would you put the diesel fuel tank?

Last edited by 1994Brazillian on Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bus with no factory heat Reply with quote

1994Brazillian wrote:
Does anyone have a brand of CDH they recommend?

There seems to be many youtube videos on these Chinese heaters
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bus with no factory heat Reply with quote

I don’t like the plastic fuel tank that comes with the heater. I bought a lawn mower tank and mounted it in the engine bay, on the left battery tray. It makes for easy filling, and no risk of spilling diesel inside the Bus.

There’s a really good CDH thread in the Vanagon forum, and on YouTube, there’s an Australian guy with 30+ videos diving deep into everything you ever wanted (or didn’t want) to know about them.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bus with no factory heat Reply with quote

1994Brazillian wrote:
Does anyone have a brand of CDH they recommend? also Where would you put the diesel fuel tank?

They all seem to be made by the same company no matter who sells them...

https://www.vevor.com/s/deisel%20heater/diesel-heater-c_10321?sort_by=price&order=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: