Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pulling oil galley plugs - restrictor plug replacement?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:16 pm    Post subject: Pulling oil galley plugs - restrictor plug replacement? Reply with quote

Im working on a couple of cases to rebuild. One’s an AE and the other’s an AH. I’d like to remove the restrictor plug for deep cleaning as well as the other simpler plugs.

I’ve read an old Samba topic about this but I didn’t feel like it was finished. I want the restrictor plug, but I don’t have a way to make one. Does anybody sell these?

Based on the old thread it seems like there are those who just use a plug without the restrictor and there are those who make one with the restrictor. I saved a screenshot of the replacement restrictor plug drawing. I just don’t want to try to get one made. Is there a simpler substitute for this?

Comments are always appreciated.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling oil galley plugs - restrictor plug replacement? Reply with quote

Bugged Again wrote:
Im working on a couple of cases to rebuild. One’s an AE and the other’s an AH. I’d like to remove the restrictor plug for deep cleaning as well as the other simpler plugs.

I’ve read an old Samba topic about this but I didn’t feel like it was finished. I want the restrictor plug, but I don’t have a way to make one. Does anybody sell these?

Based on the old thread it seems like there are those who just use a plug without the restrictor and there are those who make one with the restrictor. I saved a screenshot of the replacement restrictor plug drawing. I just don’t want to try to get one made. Is there a simpler substitute for this?

Comments are always appreciated.

On my AE case I left that plug. I cleaned the galley's with brushes, brake clean and air multiple times and it now has 50,000 plus thousand miles on it.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling oil galley plugs - restrictor plug replacement? Reply with quote

I think the reason there isn't a market for the filter plug is that a lot of people going as deep as you are will add a full flow filter, thus eliminating the need for the particle filter plug for that specific bearing.

Are you adding oil filter provisions to the engines?
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling oil galley plugs - restrictor plug replacement? Reply with quote

The bearing has the restriction…as mentioned above this plug helped trap debris

I always pull it and install a simple plug…never had an issue, but I also always go with a full flow/filter setup
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hardrada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling oil galley plugs - restrictor plug replacement? Reply with quote

I just stick it back in.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling oil galley plugs - restrictor plug replacement? Reply with quote

Toss it. The bearing has enough restriction. I see no need for two restrictors for the same bearing. I call B.S. on it being there to catch dirt. If it were why don't the rest of the crankshaft bearings have one too? They are much more critical than that one! That is just a steady bearing for accessory drive.

My theory is that is is there to limit the oil slung off the sling ring and reduce leakage behind the pulley when VW went to the 26mm oil pump. The earlier engines did not have it.

I could be wrong though but I have not seen any negative effects from leaving it out.
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling oil galley plugs - restrictor plug replacement? Reply with quote

Thank you all for the input. I did think about reusing the old one if I don’t destroy it during removal, but I think I’m just going with the flow and leave it out. Pun intended. I’ll just use a standard plug.

The main reason for pulling this plug and others is I suspect debris from so much crud. These cases were otherwise in good condition and first cut line bore with standard thrust. I’ve seen rapid wear from hidden debris in oil galleys even with heavy cleaning where the case looked perfect. Just running cleaning fluid through the oil ways isn’t going to clean up everything. I’ve done this years ago and learned my lesson.

I am going to run full flow filtration.it’s just too easy to add at this point.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling oil galley plugs - restrictor plug replacement? Reply with quote

If you are otherwise actively filtering the oil, definitely ignore that plug. Filtration is the only meaning it ever had for the engine, and you're taking care of that. It does not do anything else.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling oil galley plugs - restrictor plug replacement? Reply with quote

just pull it, tap and put a plug in it. the bearings have the right size hole it needs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: