Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blankity blankin' fuel pump.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Blankity blankin' fuel pump. Reply with quote

tjmartin317 wrote:
Hey folks, reviving this post a bit with a minor (but important) question:

I'm about to go through this Airtex E2000 fuel pump swap/replacing all the lines with the PO (very cool that he's okay with us doing this together). I've got the rubber fuel hoses and 30 FI clamps all lined up, but since we're digging into the system, which fuel filter should be used? It sounds like the plastic ones aren't ideal with the more modern pump and FI system, so switching to metal is reccomended.

Someone mentioned a Hastings GF2, but is that the only option? There aren't a lot of them online, and every one I find is from a source I've never heard of...

Thanks in advance for the input!

The filter has no issue being plastic. The fuel filter should be on the low pressure inlet side of the pump. It filters BEFORE it goes into teh pump and gets pressurized.

If for some reason you want or need to filter on the high side...look for something like a fuel filter from a 90 model cabriolet.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjmartin317
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Blankity blankin' fuel pump. Reply with quote

So it's tank to filter and filter to pump? Radical! Whether plastic or metal, I'm 99% certain this thing will need a new filter anyways. Know any good replacement ones (preferably that I can get from Napa or some other name-brand parts store)?
tjmartin317
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Blankity blankin' fuel pump. Reply with quote

Stupid question incoming: redoing the fuel system and I have a 25 foot spindle of 5/16th FI hose from autozone priced at like $80. They also offer 3/8th regular fuel hose at half the cost.

Question number one is what's the difference between FI fuel hoses and regular fuel hoses.

Second question is whether or not there are cheaper alternatives than getting $80 worth of fuel lines.

I'll put on my dunce hat now if you'd like Razz
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Blankity blankin' fuel pump. Reply with quote

tjmartin317 wrote:
Stupid question incoming: redoing the fuel system and I have a 25 foot spindle of 5/16th FI hose from autozone priced at like $80. They also offer 3/8th regular fuel hose at half the cost.

Question number one is what's the difference between FI fuel hoses and regular fuel hoses.

Second question is whether or not there are cheaper alternatives than getting $80 worth of fuel lines.

I'll put on my dunce hat now if you'd like Razz

Some of us have run 5/16ths regular hose without issues, as the system operates at 28-30 psi which is well below the burst pressure of the hose. Running 5/16ths FI hose just lasts longer from what others here have reported.
I like to run the FI hose from the tank to the filter, as that piece of hose might be left there for years, while the rest might get changed more often (like every 2 to 3 years, maybe longer). I run regular fuel hose myself, but change all 25 feet of it at a time, so I know how old ALL of it is.
Russ did a burst test years ago on regular hose, the stock or stock style cloth weave wrapped hose (German), and found the German hose the weakest, as it would burst under 100 psi, while regular hose was good for 300psi, and the FI hose was good for 600 psi. So, while more expensive, there's also a safety factor to keep in mind. It really boils down to what do you want to use, or how much do you want to spend. You need 25 feet of hose, and 35 FI style clamps no matter what. It's your call on which way you go. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
tjmartin317
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Blankity blankin' fuel pump. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

You need 25 feet of hose, and 35 FI style clamps no matter what. It's your call on which way you go. I hope this helps.

35 FI clamps? I'm pretty sure I read 30 on here, though perhaps that's the bare minimum and leaves no margin for error... may have to shell out $5 to get the rest.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Blankity blankin' fuel pump. Reply with quote

Thi is what I see for clamps in the stock type 3 or 4 system with three port pump. Let me know if I missed anything please.

1. tank outlet clamp
2. filter in clamp
3. filter out clamp
4. pump in clamp
5. pump out clamp
6. inlet to damper clamp
7. outlet from damper clamp
8. pump return nipple on pump clamp
9. pump return to "Y" fitting clamp
10. Y fitting outlet clamp
11. tank inlet clamp for return.
11. inlet to body steel line clamp
12. outlet from body steel line clamp
13. rail 1/2 clamp
14. injector 1 inlet clamp
15. injector 2 inlet clamp
16. injector 1 nipple clamp
17. injector 2 nipple clamp
18. rail 1/2 out clamp
19. cold start in clamp
20. cold start out clamp
21. rail 3/4 inlet clamp
22. injector 4 inlet clamp
23. injector 3 inlet clamp
24. injector 4 nipple clamp
25. injector 3 nipple clamp
26. rail 3/4 out clamp
27. fuel pressure regulator in clamp
28. Fuel pressure regulator out clamp
29. steel return line inlet clamp
30. steel return line outlet clamp
31. return to "Y" fitting clamp

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjmartin317
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Blankity blankin' fuel pump. Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Ah, these won't be needed, as I'm going with the 2 port Airtex E2000 fuel pump swap, eliminating all the Y return stuff. A few less clamps to worry about.

Also, you said 11 twice Wink
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Blankity blankin' fuel pump. Reply with quote

tjmartin317 wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Ah, these won't be needed, as I'm going with the 2 port Airtex E2000 fuel pump swap, eliminating all the Y return stuff. A few less clamps to worry about.

Laughing

Yes....was going through the loop in my head and kept missing things and adding them in. I thought "31" was odd!

You still need the tank inlet clamp for the return line from the fuel pressure regulator. Ray
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Blankity blankin' fuel pump. Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
tjmartin317 wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Laughing

Yes....was going through the loop in my head and kept missing things and adding them in. I thought "31" was odd!

You still need the tank inlet clamp for the return line from the fuel pressure regulator. Ray

To be honest, I figured a couple of extra clamps, and usually buy them in a box of 50 and use the extras on other vehicles I have here. Sometimes it's nice to be able to open a draw and get a clamp (when you need 1), rather than driving to the parts store and getting 1 or 2 1dollar clamps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Blankity blankin' fuel pump. Reply with quote

Bus Depot sells ABA clamps, stainless steel, size 13 just fits a 5/16"/7,9mm hose. Come in a pack of ten, so if going all new, buy four and put one in the onboard kit. I like they take a 7mm hex, Philips, or flat head. Hope this helps.

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Blankity blankin' fuel pump. Reply with quote

2 years ago I replaced all the engine fuel hose with Gates Barricade FI hose and from the engine to the pressure and return metal pipes at the rear for the tunnel. I used the proper FI clamps. When I replaced the fuel pump at the end of 2017 I only replaced the return line because the original pump had the Y fitting. Then I replaced the fuel filter and a new hose from the filter to the pump inlet. Also the pump outlet to the damper. The rest are old. I have enough Gates hose and FL clamps and a new Wix plastic 5/16" barb filter.

( I have a new auto zone plastic like the one on the car now yet it has all sorts of flash on the in and out and even where the white out top is fitted & a Carquest brand I got from O'reilly & a metal auto zone one which is well made outside but inside the filter media is only half the filters length and the element is way off center.) Point is the Wix brand is by far the best made one. Auto zone Duralast quality has dropped way down.

I found a plastic 5 gallon gas can looks like new someone placed where our trash cans are, Midwest brand , don't like the new no vent and odd spout, yet it will work to drain my tank. Also got a siphon pump with a check valve and it's clear 5/16" line so if it works I can use this to drain the tank without sucking on a hose and since the siphon pump line is 5/16" I can use one of the cheap fuel filters to drain ir fill the tanks ,as long as the tank is less than 1/2 full to gas can is large enough.

I also got these. https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-101552-800-783.aspx?origin=keyword#mz-expanded-view-1019937110909. so I can make the Gates hose and fuel hose routing more compact also in because the Gates FI hose does not slide over barb fittings like the regular Goodyear 5/16" ID hose does , I doubt it will slide over the 2 port pump quick disconnect rings.

I had the engine running and see no fuel leaks under the tank or lines and I checked and the fuel pump check valve is holding and have a new FPR on it which helped a lot. I don't need to prime the system nearly as long or cycle the key and pump the gas 2 to 3 times and still half the time it would quit running. It sat a week and I just used the prime switch for 30 seconds and it fired right up . if I let it sit for a day it takes 10 seconds to get the air out. The FPR is less than a month old. Nothing worst than getting a gas bath trying to replace the tank lines , it always runs down the arms.

I had them leak decades ago found fuel all over the garage floor yet at that time I still worked for Ford and had a hoist and one of those crank operated gas buggies to empty the tank was very easy.
VenturaRichard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Blankity blankin' fuel pump. Reply with quote

This is a great thread. Thanks for all the help and advice. I'm off to find a pump with good hose connectors at a reasonable price for my '71 F.I. Squareback.
Richard
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Blankity blankin' fuel pump. Reply with quote

VenturaRichard wrote:
This is a great thread. Thanks for all the help and advice. I'm off to find a pump with good hose connectors at a reasonable price for my '71 F.I. Squareback.
Richard

Either do a search, or ask Ray Greenwood for a list of ALL the pumps that can be used with the FI system on our cars. I know Ray's posted it before, and is over 20 pumps long.
I do know the Airtex E2000 pump works, as does the E16020 Precision brand pump. I only say that, as I've used both, and the Precision pump (from O'Reilly's) is cheaper, and I prefer to buy local in case I have a problem with it leaking (yes I did get one that leaked).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
VenturaRichard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Blankity blankin' fuel pump. Reply with quote

Hi Bob, Yeah I've been doing searches on ebay and at Auto Zone, Napa and O'Reillys with mixed results. There's even a seller here with a Bosch.
Thanks for your help.
Richard
VenturaRichard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Blankity blankin' fuel pump. Reply with quote

Here's a quick summary of online search results for a new, '87 Ford Ranger, or Airtex E2000, inline, external, fuel pump, starting with cheapest. I'm not promoting anything. It's just information on what I found.

1. Wholesaler 1 (Torrence CA), Drivemotive, item #231848283749 with molding, 2 prong electrical connector, 37 gph, and what looks like the 2 quick connectors for $37.88, shipped in 4 days. (Couldn't tell me if it is neg. ground or psi rating).
2. Seller 2 (Gardner KS), looks the same, 72-125 psi, shipped 4 days, $37.89.
3. Auto Zone, TruGrade Spectra Premium universal, part # A1155EP, 12 v, neg. ground, 45-65 psi, 35gph, 4 hose clamps, 2 mounting straps, 4 bolts, 2 male brass hose connectors, $126.99, shipped.
4. O'Reilly, Precision, part # E16098, 40-70psi, 2 straps, 1 electrical fitting, $134.99 shipped to store in 1 day, must buy filter too.

Haven't decided yet. Richard

Last edited by VenturaRichard on Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Blankity blankin' fuel pump. Reply with quote

Like I said, I like to buy local in case I have a problem with it. In 1 case I bought a new Precision pump from O'Reilly's and it leaked fuel from the body of the pump. Took it back and they told me where the next nearest one was in stock (14 miles away), and had them put it on hold and went and got it, so I could finish the job. The mail service while cheaper can be a a problem if you have a problem (they don't like boxes that smell of gasoline). Just my take on it. You could try Summit or Jegs, since you have an idea of the pumps capacities too.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
VenturaRichard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On my old 71 Notch, I only had to cycle the key 2 or 3 times, before I would try and start it up. My wife's 70 Fastback needs 3 to 5 times, as it doesn't seem as tight. Put a fuel pressure gauge on it, and have someone cycle the key, so you know what kind of pressure you have from the 2 seconds that the relay is energized (pump on). Do this a couple of times, until you have 28 to 30 psi on the gauge. It might give you a better idea of how my times you need to cycle the key. Also, once you've got the pressure built up, stop and watch (time it) how long it takes to bleed off that pressure. VW says it should fall to 20 psi in about 15 minutes, but my 71 would hold pressure (28 psi) for hours. I'm only mentioning it, as you might have an injector leaking (from not being used in a while), and that's causing a fuel pressure drop.

So does the replacement pump have a check valve or will it hold pressure after a couple cycles of the initial switch on?
Richard
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VenturaRichard wrote:
Quote:
On my old 71 Notch, I only had to cycle the key 2 or 3 times, before I would try and start it up. My wife's 70 Fastback needs 3 to 5 times, as it doesn't seem as tight. Put a fuel pressure gauge on it, and have someone cycle the key, so you know what kind of pressure you have from the 2 seconds that the relay is energized (pump on). Do this a couple of times, until you have 28 to 30 psi on the gauge. It might give you a better idea of how my times you need to cycle the key. Also, once you've got the pressure built up, stop and watch (time it) how long it takes to bleed off that pressure. VW says it should fall to 20 psi in about 15 minutes, but my 71 would hold pressure (28 psi) for hours. I'm only mentioning it, as you might have an injector leaking (from not being used in a while), and that's causing a fuel pressure drop.

So does the replacement pump have a check valve or will it hold pressure after a couple cycles of the initial switch on?
Richard

Some pumps have them built in. The D-jet pump has a downstream check valve that doubles as a pressure relief under that little crimped cap. I will have to look at some of the section drawings to see if there is another type of check valve within the pump, but I have had enough of them open that I do not believe so.
The upstream check valve is the fuel pressure regulator.

A lot of the aftermarket pumps either have a screw in check valve on the outlet side or some are made with it built into the pump head.

A lot of the Airtex E2000...and there are many variations of it laid out for specific applications.....do not have check valves. Really just as many do have check valves.

As I am saying, teh difference is whether you are just buying a generic Airtex E2000....not destined for any particular application...or if the pump is set up to fit a specific model of car. Many of those come with either push-loc fittings, barbed fittings, check valve, 90* fittings...the range is huge.

Use this Google search

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=AJOqlzUKFNgmsw...mp;dpr=1.5

This takes you to "Airtex E2000 check valve"...and pictures. You can see what you are looking for by scrolling through the pictures on Google. I am pretty sure the basic E2000 does not have an internal check valve. It is usually part of the outlet nipple. You might find pumps that already have a brass or steel barbed screwed in when you get them. Remove that barb and check for a check valve...ball check valve.

If it does not have one, check the thread size and look online for a barbed fitting of that thread size that has an integral check valve. Place like Summit or Jegs can get that for you easy. Or you can buy barbed inline check valves that function just as well.

Ray
VenturaRichard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Blankity blankin' fuel pump. Reply with quote

Ray,
Yes, I can see that we should want a check valve on the pump discharge to hold fuel pressure or the engine would be hard to start and we couldn't check for leak down. I didn't see any pumps in my online "E2000 replacement" searches that said they had check valves on them. A barbed hose fitting with a check valve sounds like a good idea. Guess I'll do some more searching.
Thanks, Richard
VenturaRichard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Blankity blankin' fuel pump. Reply with quote

After checking further and looking at detailed drawings, I confirmed with a seller that I can order a pump with a check valve included. So that's the one I ordered from seller #2 listed above, in Kansas.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: