Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Loose ragtop fit
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Loose ragtop fit Reply with quote

I bought canvas ragtop fabric about 2 years ago, I cannot get the fabric taut enough to pull the bows down against the body.

I pulled the rear adjuster plate as far back as possible, I even added padding above both the front and rear plates to take up the slack.

Each thing I did seemed to help the problem for a short time then the fabric slowly loosened or stretched. The ends look to be staying in place, not creeping up the plates.

Any ideas? Hints? Normal life with a ragtop?
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose ragtop fit Reply with quote

jimdubs wrote:
Normal life with a ragtop?

No, not normal at all.

Not all ragtop covers are created equal. I once purchased a top from a well-regarded supplier which was so tight that the corner seams split when I tried fitting it over the front header. Sounds like you've tried all the usual adjustments...might need to just bite the bullet and get another cover from a different supplier.

Is the latch pulling the front header all the way forward and cinching it down properly?

Is your car an OG ragtop, or a graft?
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose ragtop fit Reply with quote

The front latch appears to be functioning properly, it moves forward and down tightly.

The car is a graft, but the entire skin around the opening was grafted as well so the dimensions are factory.

I guess I can investigate some better options for fabric.
jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose ragtop fit Reply with quote

Okay I'm back. I bought another canvas top from a different supplier (a well regarded one that is often suggested here)

Pretty much the same result. I have the rear plate pulled back as far as possible, the front one goes all the way forward. The bows are closer to the body but not all the way down. The sides are wavy.

To what degree does the canvas shrink/tighten with age, sun and water exposure?? I just put it on, it hasn't been out of the garage yet.

Thoughts???
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose ragtop fit Reply with quote

jimdubs wrote:
The car is a graft, but the entire skin around the opening was grafted as well so the dimensions are factory.

Did that include the area with the slots?
Quote:
To what degree does the canvas shrink/tighten with age, sun and water exposure??

The canvas cover from SewFine that I installed about 5 yrs. ago is still a perfect fit....tight as a drum and no shrinkage or fading at all.
Probably helps that the car is always garaged.
jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose ragtop fit Reply with quote

Yes the slotted area was part of the clip.

The new fabric came from Sewfine. The original was TMI.

With both tops I wrapped the fabric tight around the front and rear plates so that the edge bead is laying flat and even along the roof.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose ragtop fit Reply with quote

Could you post up some pics of the ragtop fit problems? Do you have the webbing straps installed that connect the front and middle bows?

Not that it'd be ideal, but it may be necessary to slightly elongate the adjustment slots at the rear to allow for a tighter fit.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose ragtop fit Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Do you have the webbing straps installed that connect the front and middle bows?

They're about 13" long and look like this ↓

Pics from the gallery
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not sure if these straps would effect the cover's fit, but if you need to make some up, a 1/2" wide nylon pet leash works pretty well.
jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Loose ragtop fit Reply with quote

Yes I have the straps installed, I'll try to post a couple pics later today.

I have thought about elongating the slots but I really don't want to!
buckswilde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Loose ragtop fit Reply with quote

For reference here's what a NOS VW top looks like installed. I had someone in our local club install it so I can't speak to the process.

jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose ragtop fit Reply with quote

jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose ragtop fit Reply with quote

I have no padding on the front or rear plate this time. It seemed to temporarily help the previous top but I read that many people don't use any. I'm sure I could take up some slack with the padding but that seems like a band aid solution.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose ragtop fit Reply with quote

Note the tight NOS top took heat to get installed. Not something that can be used with canvas.
Padding might help, but elongation of the slotted rear holes might be the solution if you stick with canvas.
I installed a replacement top on mine, and while not the drum as above, it's a lot tighter than what you show. It was also 15 or more years ago, have no idea what the deal would be today.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose ragtop fit Reply with quote

Custom upholstery by a Pro always looks best!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose ragtop fit Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Custom upholstery by a Pro always looks best!

So many ragtops recovered over the years...hardly any look like this one. There's something out of whack here.

The cover itself sets the overall length of the top. These covers are all made from patterns that've been around forever, so there's something else going on here.

Maybe you could compare some dimensions with another ragtop to see if everything matches up. Start with the distance from the slots at the rear to the front edge of the opening where the latch engages.
jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Loose ragtop fit Reply with quote

Well I ended up lengthening the rear slots about a quarter inch and I got it ""better"". The bows are down but the sides are not really tight, but acceptable.

I don't know what's really going on, I don't feel like I should have had to modify the car to fit the fabric, but considering that 2 tops from 2 suppliers didn't fit right makes me wonder.

I had thought about making a new rear plate with the studs further forward, don't know how that would've worked out. Were there any variations in the rear plate from VW?

This roof was a semi complete clip, from the windshield opening to about 4 inches behind the slots. All the factory dimensions should have been accurate.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: