Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Fresh water tank refill hose elimination? Plug or cap??
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walty87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject: Westy Fresh water tank refill hose elimination? Plug or cap?? Reply with quote

I tried searching but wasn’t having too much luck. All of my searches usually resulted in eliminating the fresh water tank completely.

Are there any kits or has anyone had any luck removing the fresh water hose on the fresh water tank? I’m taking about the big hose that would connect to the side of the van that you’d use a garden hose or whatever to fill from the outside. Is there some kind of plug or cap?

I’m installing a westy fresh water tank in a non westy vanagon and I don’t really want to use the refill hose, but my westy fresh water tank has a hose connected.

I understand the smaller hose on top is an air vent / overfill hose and the bottom one will be connected to my sink.

Thanks guys!
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fresh water tank refill hose elimination? Plug or cap?? Reply with quote

It’s been a decade or so, but if memory serves, I just cut the hose, cleaned up a stainless bolt I had on hand and put a hose clamp on. Easy peasy.
Some people call him Maurice...
Walty87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fresh water tank refill hose elimination? Plug or cap?? Reply with quote

ledogboy wrote:
It’s been a decade or so, but if memory serves, I just cut the hose, cleaned up a stainless bolt I had on hand and put a hose clamp on. Easy peasy.

Not a horrible idea but the filler hose is a weird green ribbed type hose and it’s kinda big. Like over an inch big? Or close
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fresh water tank refill hose elimination? Plug or cap?? Reply with quote

Perhaps something like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fernco-1-1-2-in-x-1-1-2-in-dia-Flexible-Cap-PVC-Fitting/1000075347 ?
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Walty87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fresh water tank refill hose elimination? Plug or cap?? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Perhaps something like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fernco-1-1-2-in-x-1-1-2-in-dia-Flexible-Cap-PVC-Fitting/1000075347 ?

Oh nice. Going to the hardware store tomorrow
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fresh water tank refill hose elimination? Plug or cap?? Reply with quote

Walty87 wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:

That might work as a splash guard if you have it higher than your water level. Sealing those ribs on the house is a challenge.

I forget how that hose attaches to the tank but maybe take off the hose from the tank and plug/seal what the hose attaches to.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Walty87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fresh water tank refill hose elimination? Plug or cap?? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Walty87 wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:

That might work as a splash guard if you have it higher than your water level. Sealing those ribs on the house is a challenge.

I forget how that hose attaches to the tank but maybe take off the hose from the tank and plug/seal what the hose attaches to.

Yeah, that’s what I intend to do. Take the hose off and cap / plug where the hose normally goes
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Fresh water tank refill hose elimination? Plug or cap?? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
...plug/seal what the hose attaches to.

Yeah, that's the whole idea. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Fresh water tank refill hose elimination? Plug or cap?? Reply with quote

I'm considering removing the fill hose because in 25 years I may have used it once (I fill the water tank through the lid in the top of the tank) and I'd also like to use the space for storage.

The water tank has a 1" - 2" nub that the hose clamps to. If the hose is clamped to not leak then the cap recommended by kamz should work.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Fresh water tank refill hose elimination? Plug or cap?? Reply with quote

I've thought about doing this many times. It would be nice to eliminate that hose to gain more room in what we use as the aux battery compartment.

Using something like these in the correct size might work:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BHNS765P/ref=sspa_dk_d...U&th=1

They also sell these at marine stores as transom drain plugs.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fresh water tank refill hose elimination? Plug or cap?? Reply with quote

just realize that the fill hose port also acts as an air relief. not important for the small flow from the faucet as enough air SHOULD leak in from the wire grommet to prevent tank collapse but that nice laminar flow of water that drains out from the bottom cap will now gurgle and slurp when the cap is removed. just takes more time to drain, prolly no other drawback.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fresh water tank refill hose elimination? Plug or cap?? Reply with quote

I used a transom plug and a generous amount of silicone to seal it all up. Its been 10 years and no leaks. I added a one-way valve to the tank cap to allow air to flow in and prevent creating a suction in the tank.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fresh water tank refill hose elimination? Plug or cap?? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
just realize that the fill hose port also acts as an air relief.

Vent hose is separate and on top of the tank:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2016 Golf GTI S
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fresh water tank refill hose elimination? Plug or cap?? Reply with quote

vent and fill are different? dint know that! makes sense.

kamzcab86 wrote:
DanHoug wrote:
just realize that the fill hose port also acts as an air relief.

Vent hose is separate and on top of the tank:

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Fresh water tank refill hose elimination? Plug or cap?? Reply with quote

I just installed this:

It slipped right in, expanded to a super tight fit. Haven't leak tested it yet, but I think it will work fine.

My only concern is the rubber tainting the water, leave a bad taste or poisoning me. Going to live dangerously and try it. At least the rest is stainless steel.
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fresh water tank refill hose elimination? Plug or cap?? Reply with quote

Re: twist tight transom plug.... Depending on how thick/strong that nipple you put that in is, you may want to consider a outside reinforcement like a metal hose clamp.With a constant force expanding that nipple it is possible it stretches and then leaks.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Fresh water tank refill hose elimination? Plug or cap?? Reply with quote

I used a cork with a turn of foil tape around the whole thing.
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Fresh water tank refill hose elimination? Plug or cap?? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Re: twist tight transom plug.... Depending on how thick/strong that nipple you put that in is, you may want to consider a outside reinforcement like a metal hose clamp.With a constant force expanding that nipple it is possible it stretches and then leaks.

Thanks, excellent suggestion!
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: