Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kubelwagen steering wheel options
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
titan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Kubelwagen steering wheel options Reply with quote

Hi guys, I have a 1974 thing that has been sort of converted into a look alike WW2 kubelwagen. I'm looking for a simple style steering wheel that would fit along with this concept. I'm hoping for a steering wheel option that will bolt on without any significant welding or fabrication. Any recommendations?

Thank you
waterdawg2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen steering wheel options Reply with quote

Tractor supply has simple and cheap steering wheels. I do not know yet if they work or not. Might be something to check out.
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen steering wheel options Reply with quote

I'm interested too. Right now 'Hermann' has a stripped stock wheel. I'd like to find a reasonably priced 3-spoke wheel that fits a '73.

Mike
waterdawg2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen steering wheel options Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Might work?

Or this
https://www.griggslawnandtractor.net/steering-whee...321ea46258
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen steering wheel options Reply with quote

As far as I know a 73 wheel and a 74 wheel have different splines. With that being said, I've wondered if a 71/72 two spoke Beetle or bus wheel would fit a 73.
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen steering wheel options Reply with quote

Joe 20 wrote:
As far as I know a 73 wheel and a 74 wheel have different splines. With that being said, I've wondered if a 71/72 two spoke Beetle or bus wheel would fit a 73.

I've got a '73 on the car now, but I've also got a '74 column in case I have to switch.

Mike
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen steering wheel options Reply with quote

A larger diameter wheel may prove a tight fit for us "horizontally challenged" individuals. Anybody consider a leather wrap on the OEM wheel? Maybe even a paracord.

I believe Kames adapted a bus steering wheel although I think it involved the whole bus steering column.
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen steering wheel options Reply with quote

Check out this older thread for information on two spoke wheels...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=692253&highlight=early+steering+wheel
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen steering wheel options Reply with quote

Well here's my two cents at a show in Puerto Rico a couple weeks ago I saw a thing converted to a fake kobel and for the steering wheel they took the cover off and exposed the collapsing panel and painted it to match and it looked pretty genuine look pretty cool you know the whole cover and all that stuff was left off made it look pretty primitive actually looking good that's a cheap way of doing it using its own wheel I mean it just making a re creation anyway so good luck bill Vermont and Puerto Rico
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen steering wheel options Reply with quote

volkybus wrote:
Well here's my two cents at a show in Puerto Rico a couple weeks ago I saw a thing converted to a fake kobel and for the steering wheel they took the cover off and exposed the collapsing panel and painted it to match and it looked pretty genuine look pretty cool you know the whole cover and all that stuff was left off made it look pretty primitive actually looking good that's a cheap way of doing it using its own wheel I mean it just making a re creation anyway so good luck bill Vermont and Puerto Rico

That's how 'Hermann' is currently. The wheel has the plastic stripped off, and it's painted the same color as the car. I need to fit it with a horn button of some description.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: