Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any machinists here ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MTT3107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Any machinists here ? Reply with quote

So, I bought the hose barbs in the picture to install the on the manifolds of my dual carb setup, por a balancing tube.

My tap and die set does not contain a tap with this diameter and thread.

Can anybody here can tell me with tap I have to get to cut those threads ?
OD of the threaded part is a little more than 1/2 in.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

thanks !
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Any machinists here ? Reply with quote

It's called 1/4" NPT, but you may want to upsize the barb end of those to 1/2"+, 1/4" hose between manifolds isn't going to do much.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Any machinists here ? Reply with quote

Tree'd by BusDaddy. I type slow! Embarassed
1/4" NPT (National Pipe Thread) tap will do the deed.

But, Your selection for balance tube nipples is on the small side, real small.
See if you can find a larger diameter adapter nipple for your setup.
Also the more rigid the tube, the better. I had a balance tube on one of my engines, I noticed that it tended to collapse while the engine was running.

What carbs are you running?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Any machinists here ? Reply with quote

In agreement with the others, you must use a larger balance pipe. A 1/2 line should work ok.

Tapered threads require a sealant to seal. A good thread dope will work fine. Lately I have been liking the Gasoila Soft Set.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Any machinists here ? Reply with quote

That is a straight pipe fitting (MIP) You don't want those.

Get some with (1/4 NPT) they are tapered you will see the difference when they are side by side
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Any machinists here ? Reply with quote

McMaster Carr sells these in brass:

They can also get you the 1/4 pipe tap.

A 1/4 pipe tap should take a 7/16 drilled hole if I remember correctly.

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Any machinists here ? Reply with quote

This is my favorite drill chart missing some stuff but its 100% correct has never done me dirty. Yes Danpa 7/16 is correct Thumbs Up

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Any machinists here ? Reply with quote

DesertSasquatchXploration wrote:

Get some with (1/4 NPT) they are tapered you will see the difference when they are side by side

MIP and FIP are both NPT threads. MIP is a male NPT, FIP is female NPT.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Any machinists here ? Reply with quote

^^^This!^^^

I have worked with a LOT of pipe threaded fittings over the years and those threads are NOT tapered! Take a caliper and check it out. They are parallel!

Here I just lifted this off a quick Google search:

"NPT threads are usually used for low-pressure, residential pipes while MIP fittings are used for high-pressure, industrial pipes. NPT threads are tapered and slightly thinner at the bottom. MIP fittings are straight and the same width all the way across."
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Any machinists here ? Reply with quote

Also, one last thing.

Before you start to drill the hole make a good center punch mark in the casting, even if you're using a drill press. You don't want the drill walking around.

Oh, and one more one last thing,

When you're tapping the hole, go in about a third of the way up the tap, take it out, and check your fitting. Go in a few turns each time, repeating the checking until the fitting engages at least a few threads when it's tight.

And don't forget to show the finished job!

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
MTT3107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Any machinists here ? Reply with quote

OK, thanks for all the answers.
Will show end result when it's done.
But first I have to go and change the fittings, and, buy the respective tap.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Any machinists here ? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

^^^This!^^^

I have worked with a LOT of pipe threaded fittings over the years and those threads are NOT tapered! Take a caliper and check it out. They are parallel!

"NPT threads are usually used for low-pressure, residential pipes while MIP fittings are used for high-pressure, industrial pipes. NPT threads are tapered and slightly thinner at the bottom. MIP fittings are straight and the same width all the way across."

MIP can be used with either FIP or NPT female. The difference is the pressure rating. For low pressure rating MIP can be threaded into NPT female with a thread sealant. Only high pressure requires MIP to mate with MIF, typically used with an o-ring. But I agree, NPT to NPT is the most common way of doing it. Since the original poster needs larger fittings anyways, may as well use the mor common tapered thread.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Any machinists here ? Reply with quote

Yes I am surprised that those fittings pictured don't have either an "O" ring groove or a flat shoulder for a HP gasket. Most of that style of fittings do. How else could they seal? Don't tell me parallel threads seal, they don't.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Any machinists here ? Reply with quote

Yeah, lack of flat shoulder is curious. Usually the o-ring sits in a chamfer at the top of the FIP fitting and is crushed by the shoulder of the MIP

Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Any machinists here ? Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
oprn wrote:

^^^This!^^^

MIP can be used with either FIP or NPT female. The difference is the pressure rating. For low pressure rating MIP can be threaded into NPT female with a thread sealant. Only high pressure requires MIP to mate with MIF, typically used with an o-ring. But I agree, NPT to NPT is the most common way of doing it. Since the original poster needs larger fittings anyways, may as well use the mor common tapered thread.

I would love to see you thread a straight MIP into a Tapered NPT That would be one sweet setup. LOL

With a thru hole the MIP will cut out the taper and now you cant go back to the correct tapered NPT fitting. When building custom machines every single pneumatic component we use is very clear on this it will void the warranty and it leaks like crazy its a hack job at best.

Last edited by DesertSasquatchXploration on Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Any machinists here ? Reply with quote

wow this is funny shit!!!! and typickel too. what does npt stand for?? what does mip stand for? what does fip stand for??
as for the OP, take those back and get NPT fittings. thats what you want. not the mip.unless you have the right toold to use them correctly.the set of nos kdog manifolds I have that has the attached line all steel from one steel manifold to the other has a 3/8" /10mm od line.
so now lets see who steps up and either knows what mip is or goobles it and spits out some fodder that may or may not be right. I wood think ray wood be right but....
threads like this are whats rong and so funny and entertaining about the internet exspurts. not limited to vw's at all.
sofar 2 people seem to have a clue...just a clue.

to add....machinest has little to nothing to do with this...sort of.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Any machinists here ? Reply with quote

It is a real thing. Done it many times. Like I say, for the high pressure rating, MIP must go into FIP to use the o-ring. For low pressure and vacuum applications, MIP can be used in a female NPT with a thread sealant. Loctite makes an anaerobic hydraulic sealant that I use, but a high solids soft set like Gasoila works well to. Sometimes the female thread needs to be slightly deeper to create the interference as some come quite shallow.

It also isn’t unique to the national pipe thread. There are metric threads that work this way as well. For example, there are quite a few applications where a tapered male threads screw into a straight female thread to create the interference.

It’s rare to see, and not standard. I think it is done by some manufacturers to make a “universal” par, for lack of a better term. The female side is usualy 20thou over or so. So it isn’t quite the same specification, but close enough that both work.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Any machinists here ? Reply with quote

With enough glue sure ok. You can Convince yourself of anything is suppose.

When a Customer pays 500K for a machine they don't want glued fittings with wallered out threads. Just because you can do something don't make it right. You do you to each their own.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Any machinists here ? Reply with quote

Now that the OP has their post completely jacked

Like Danpa was saying you tap it a little at a time if you go to much and the fitting is protruding into the ID of the manifold no big deal just file it back so its flush when tight.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Any machinists here ? Reply with quote

Fun fact, the drain plug in your transmissions that there are tens of millions of is a straight-thread hole in the magnesium, with a tapered M24x1.5 plug. It's the cheapest way requiring the least care to make work correctly, and happens to work great when the female thread is soft, just like the steel plug in the magnesium trans case. A little Loctite 565 and that thing is GOOD to go for a long time.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: