Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia windshield trim for early 1966
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:06 pm    Post subject: Ghia windshield trim for early 1966 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hi guys , I wonder if you can help me with something?
I need a new windshield trim for my 1966 KG.

The problem is the windshield is 17.5” deep and takes the C-channel moulding.
From what I can see on the internet, nobody is making it, only the T-profile channel which is for a 17” deep windshield.😞
Does anyone gave a contact for C-channel trim or have any suggestions as to how I can insert new trim ?

Thanks
RT
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia windshield trim for early 1966 Reply with quote

The C-channel trim molding is not reproduced by anyone. The only option you have if you definitely want to use it and it wasn't on your car, is to find it for sale in the classifieds like I did. I'm also restoring an early 66, before the trim change that came halfway through that year.

The only way to use the later T-trim is to buy the later, smaller windshield. The opening for the windshield stayed the same, it was only the windshield that changed size to accommodate the different trim style. You can't use the T-trim with the early, larger windshield. It won't fit.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia windshield trim for early 1966 Reply with quote

Thanks Era, so If I understand you correctly , if I buy a 17” windshield and use T-seals and T-profile trim all of them should fit properly inside my early 66 Ghia windshield frame ?
Also could the rear window use either C or T profile trims and seals because the glass size DID NOT change from 66 to 67?
Confusing stuff, but great to have people like yourself sharing your knowledge on The Samba!
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia windshield trim for early 1966 Reply with quote

russelltatedotcom wrote:
Thanks Era, so If I understand you correctly , if I buy a 17” windshield and use T-seals and T-profile trim all of them should fit properly inside my early 66 Ghia windshield frame ?

That is correct.
However, it would be less expensive to simply seek out the pieces from the classifieds, and you would keep your original VW-branded windshield. There's several sellers with some of the C-trim pieces for sale right now. But I guess it depends how much of a hurry you're in, if you're willing to wait for all the pieces to pop up for sale.

russelltatedotcom wrote:
Also could the rear window use either C or T profile trims and seals because the glass size DID NOT change from 66 to 67?
Confusing stuff, but great to have people like yourself sharing your knowledge on The Samba!

Everything I've read about the rear windshield is that, like you said, it did not change size. Which conceptually doesn't make sense that it could fit either trim style in the same opening, while the front windshield couldn't and had to change size for the different trim. I've searched for an answer on this before and never found one.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia windshield trim for early 1966 Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
russelltatedotcom wrote:

That is correct.
However, it would be less expensive to simply seek out the pieces from the classifieds, and you would keep your original VW-branded windshield. There's several sellers with some of the C-trim pieces for sale right now. But I guess it depends how much of a hurry you're in, if you're willing to wait for all the pieces to pop up for sale.

russelltatedotcom wrote:

Everything I've read about the rear windshield is that, like you said, it did not change size. Which conceptually doesn't make sense that it could fit either trim style in the same opening, while the front windshield couldn't and had to change size for the different trim. I've searched for an answer on this before and never found one.

New windshields are expensive and the commonly found Fuyao ones fit like garbage, they are too small (16 7/8 vs 17). Plus you have to buy the trim, all of which is going to cost together over $400!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia windshield trim for early 1966 Reply with quote

If I had to wait for C trim to turn up. I would not mind, it’s just the quality 😞 Everything else on my car is nice and new looking with sign of wear pitted trim would let down the look and to to expect to find mint condition might be setting the bar too high. I’m considering getting a new screen so I can fit T profile Trim and seals. I know the expense might seem mad but the look of the car would be consistent. I guess there is also the risk of getting the right repro glass to be the right size and not under 17” deep
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia windshield trim for early 1966 Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

New windshields are expensive and the commonly found Fuyao ones fit like garbage, they are too small (16 7/8 vs 17). Plus you have to buy the trim, all of which is going to cost together over $400!

West Coast Metric, KGPR, and EVWParts all sell early windshields that are 17.25" and I actually did buy one of these for my car. The height, width, and corner radius dimensions were spot on to the original. The problem was it was only 3/16" thick, whereas the OEM is 1/4". 1/16" thinner doesn't sound like much, but when fit into the seal designed for a 1/4" thick piece of glass, the fit wasn't snug enough that I trusted it to keep out water. I decided not to use it. I'll run my OEM windshield with the slight delamination until I can find a clean OEM to replace it.
So that's another aspect to watch out for that NO ONE in any thread mentioned, was the glass thickness.

Also, $400 buys you just the windshield with shipping due to the extra special packaging that all the sellers charge for the glass. Add the VEWIB (German seal) at ~ $125 and new trim at ~$150 and you're looking at close to $700 to replace the whole enchilada.

Previously owned:

Last edited by Era Vulgaris on Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:24 pm; edited 5 times in total
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia windshield trim for early 1966 Reply with quote

russelltatedotcom wrote:
If I had to wait for C trim to turn up. I would not mind, it’s just the quality 😞 Everything else on my car is nice and new looking with sign of wear pitted trim would let down the look and to to expect to find mint condition might be setting the bar too high. I’m considering getting a new screen so I can fit T profile Trim and seals. I know the expense might seem mad but the look of the car would be consistent. I guess there is also the risk of getting the right repro glass to be the right size and not under 17” deep

You can always get it re-chromed.
But you might be amazed at what a wet "sanding" with 0000 steel wool followed by a polish with a dremel pad and some compound will do to get rid of light pitting on chrome.

Previously owned:
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia windshield trim for early 1966 Reply with quote

Hi Era, this turning into something bigger than Ben Hur now!

So glad I found out about thickness when looking into new windshields.

I also made enquires in Australia and found a supplier that has glass that is 17.3" deep which may or may not be too deep, but it has ....a green tint to it, so that is another curve ball to consider?

Your idea of Re-chroming might be worth considering? I thought it was Anodized Aluminium but if it is brass it might be possible
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia windshield trim for early 1966 Reply with quote

I had my C trim rechromed. Electroplating Technologies in Queenbeyan. Copper Nickel and Chrome plated. He also did my vintage Cinelli Super Corsa bicycle.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia windshield trim for early 1966 Reply with quote

The repro aluminum T trim BTW looks nothing like the chrome trim in finish. It is mat vs shiny.
I had chrome C channel trim rechromed and they ruined it by welding wire to the trim to suspend it in the dip. If you get yours rechrometell them not weld anything to the trim. If they are not careful they can also distort it which makes it a nightmare to reinstall.
I ended up hunting around for decent originals and paid out the nose for a good set, like $400, but after reading Era’s summary I guess I got off cheap!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia windshield trim for early 1966 Reply with quote

Thanks guys, Wow, the idea of re-plating (what ever the cost) is certainly something I'm going to look into.
It just completely cuts out problem of new glass being:
Too tall, short, wrong colour or too thin.

I'll look into the platers you recommended Nicholas
(Are you are part time P.I.? how do you find all these obscure suppliers!)

The only other question is who supplies the best Moulded corner C-profile trims!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia windshield trim for early 1966 Reply with quote

russelltatedotcom wrote:
(Are you are part time P.I.? how do you find all these obscure suppliers!)

I just did what you’re doing. I asked questions, listened to the answers, chose the best ones and went ahead making mistakes while still learning how to do the task.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia windshield trim for early 1966 Reply with quote

russelltatedotcom wrote:

[/i]
The only other question is who supplies the best Moulded corner C-profile trims!

I'm assuming you meant seals and not trims?
For seals, buy the most expensive German-labeled seals. These should be Vewib brand. If brand is not specified, contact the retailer and ask. Vewib uses the original tooling to make their seals the same as VW did. You won't get a better fit from any other brand.

Previously owned:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: