Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No lights on dash, no crank, no start.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:19 pm    Post subject: No lights on dash, no crank, no start. Reply with quote

I did something dumb. While trying to set timing and idle, the afm touched the B+ on the alternator. Now no lights on the dash. How bad did I mess this thing up?
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: No lights on dash, no crank, no start. Reply with quote

Probably just popped a fuse or two.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: No lights on dash, no crank, no start. Reply with quote

The red wire connected to the B+ stud on the alternator has a direct path to the battery positive terminal. If you shorted this to ground you may have overloaded this wire. It is not fused.

Using a VM test the red B+ wire for 12v. If you don't get a voltage reading you need to trace this wire back thru the junction below the left rear seat (white rectangular junction) and then the wire that runs from the junction back to the positive battery post. Check for voltage at each junction. Look for signs of the wires or terminals overheating and melting insulation. If you see signs of over heating wires you may need to replace the wires.

Post pics of what you find.

The white junction below the left rear seat is also the point where everything up at the dash gets power from. If you don't get a 12v reading here it means no power is making it up to the front.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: No lights on dash, no crank, no start. Reply with quote

I found that junction. In my car it's just the red and white wire wrapped around each other then taped up. Is that how it's supposed be joined?

I started to take the tape off that junction and the car started to work.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: No lights on dash, no crank, no start. Reply with quote

459032 wrote:
I found that junction. In my car it's just the red and white wire wrapped around each other then taped up. Is that how it's supposed be joined?

No

459032 wrote:
I started to take the tape off that junction and the car started to work.

Now you know what to fix CORRECTLY !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: No lights on dash, no crank, no start. Reply with quote

How is it supposed to go? How is it normally connected?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: No lights on dash, no crank, no start. Reply with quote

459032 wrote:
How is it supposed to go? How is it normally connected?

I believe each end of the wire has a female push-on connector and fit into an insulated male/male connector.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/WW-CON.html
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: No lights on dash, no crank, no start. Reply with quote

Found a pic from the gallery that shows the under seat wiring from a late model Beetle that came with an alternator.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can see the large white rectangle. This is the junction for 4 wires...
    Battery positive terminal
    Alternator B+ output
    Main #30 wire running to the front of the car
    #30 wire to rear window defroster relay

The stock junction uses larger terminals than the normal 1/4" ones. The male spades inside are 3/8" wide. If your wires still have female terminals on the end you will need a junction that supports 3/8" wide terminals.

If you don't have this white junction or the ends of your wires have been stripped you just need a good junction to bring 3 or 4 higher amperage wires together. Something like this would work just fine:
4-8 AWG Distribution Block
If you decide to add a power distribution block below the rear seat you may also want to consider adding a 60-80A re-settable circuit breaker on the wire coming from the battery. This is extra insurance in case the circuit ever shorted directly to ground... as you apparently did.

These wires carry a rather large current (up to 55A from the alternator) so must have a rock solid connection to each other and must be insulated so they can never touch ground. Just twisting them together won't be good enough.

If you really want to do it on the cheap, you could look to your local hardware store and find a ground clamp that uses a threaded bolt to clamp a ground wire securely to a copper pipe/stake. This firmly clamps the wires together. You will need to carefully insulate the junction so it can never touch ground.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: No lights on dash, no crank, no start. Reply with quote

That’s exactly what I need. That whole white junction is missing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: