Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Twin Plug Dual distributor build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Plug Dual distributor build Reply with quote

the ultimate is the porsche 356 carrara 4 cam setup,
they used 2 different ways

1 - run a distrbutor off of each cam shaft on each side of the engine

2 - run a V shaped twin plug setup off the oil pump drive - i think this looks really cool, i did find a guy online reproducing it, but he wanted $15k for ONE! too rich for my blood
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Plug Dual distributor build Reply with quote

ok 1 more . here is the 356 setup

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

now if you look at the 1/2 cylinder head, the upper part, you can see a alumimum disc, that is where the upper camshaft is, this is where they sometimes put a distributor drive
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Plug Dual distributor build Reply with quote

Here is my 009 version

And here is the billet

gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Plug Dual distributor build Reply with quote

In 1991 I offered dual plug machining service + this 1-piece distributor body with 031 or 009 internals ...

... which was a step up from my adapter plate test version.

extra wires & years of filth

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Plug Dual distributor build Reply with quote

Cool.
This has been worked on many times, but almost always abandonned again, because "nobody" ever finished the development and therefore claimed "it doesnt work"
There are/were several reasons to why they were not able to justify it. Part of it was understanding the benefits, - and limitations of of it, such as a simple thing as ignition timing throughout the rpm band, not just WOT.
Another thing was the lack of understanding the dual flamefront propagandation. Today we know much more. Maybe it takes off a little again.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Plug Dual distributor build Reply with quote

I'm going to go ahead and revive this thread after 12 years with this video of Ninamashr's motor Smile

Link
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Plug Dual distributor build Reply with quote

Longboardluv wrote:
I'm going to go ahead and revive this thread after 12 years with this video of Ninamashr's motor Smile

Link

Triple carb also.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Plug Dual distributor build Reply with quote

Longboardluv wrote:

Link

I like this dual type twin plug ..to bad the builder ain't willing to make more sets ..I would buy 1 or 10 😳
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Twin Plug Dual distributor build Reply with quote

here's the full video!

Link
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Twin Plug Dual distributor build Reply with quote

Thanks for posting up the vid - VWLife guys! Just had the chance to see this and Lupe's cool ride Cool

Great job all around. Almost makes me wish I still lived in San Antonio, but then Im like nah. Wink Laughing

A Californian that moved there during the 05 bubble that came back to home - San Diego in 2018. See, people do leave Cali for Texas and come back. Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Twin Plug Dual distributor build Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with this programmable dual plug distributor
https://lnengineering.com/products/aircooled-porsc...odels.html
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Twin Plug Dual distributor build Reply with quote

wow - that is what i used to build - mine was not programmable, dual ignitors, and 1/2 that price
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Plug Dual distributor build Reply with quote

ok, it has been awhile, time for another twin plug distributor design, i found this on ebay, 1985 911 twin plug setup with belt drive

i had to have it, i took a good look and i like it, ihave used belt drive twin plugs before, i had a HASSAD distributor that had a belt drive ABOVE the advance mechanism, so both moved together, had it for years, then had issues with drag, getting either no advance, or full advance, that is why i switched to the datsun twin cap design.

this design has the belt drive at the base of the distributor, so both are linked, but advance is separate, this also allows you to drop in different distributors if yiou wanted, you could run a 009 on 1 and a vintage VW on the other, or a pertonix, or whatever,,,,

i have been using a small milling machiune and a modified drill press, note i am use forstner bits for making holes, work great when you need aflat bottom, you want high speeds, low feeds, and lots of coolant,

I used 1/2" alum for the top and bottom, and 1" thick for the middle. I am using a toothed belt drive, with bearings in the bottom.

I hate to tel you how many hours i got into this so far,,,, this is strictly a prototype, no way is it nice enough to sell, i have learned a lot about using a mill, the biggest thing is getting the parts bolted down super tight, i think i goet it tight, then teh part moves and messes up the cut! darn it! but like i said it is a prototype.

if you look close, you can see a mistake i made, the distributors are too close together, getting the springs that hold the caps on will be a bitch, i will fab up something, next time, need to put them at least 1/2" farther apart.

since i raised the distributor up 2", i need to extend the shaft down 2". working on that now,

i made drawings to get started, then modified as i went, so when done, i will make "as built" drawing, then modiifed drawings for needing more space, then i can think about building these to sell. 1 thing at a time.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Twin Plug Dual distributor build Reply with quote

Depends on orientation I guess. These are kissing cousins.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: