Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Off-Road suspension basic questions
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aintskeered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Off-Road suspension basic questions Reply with quote

I had my mind set on doing 5x5s in the rear, but I've been thinking about it and I'm wondering... If I was gonna do 5x5, then why not say screw it and go 6x6. I haven't seen too many brands that make 6x6s, was gonna see if anyone had recommendations. What's the overall cost difference and what are the extra challenges and expenses that come with the extra 1 x 1, if any?

That also makes me wonder, I had planned on doing a 6" over beam, and 4 1/2" over arms. I can't seem to find longer front arms than 4 1/2 inches. In my mind at least, I can't imagine the mathematics of that working out to be enough. Are there front trailing arms around that would match the rear 6x6? Or would I need to go A Arms up front for that size in the rear? Thanks
DHale_510
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Off-Road suspension basic questions Reply with quote

[quote]I had my mind set on doing 5x5s in the rear, but I've been thinking about it and I'm wondering... If I was gonna do 5x5, then why not say screw it and go 6x6. I haven't seen too many brands that make 6x6s, was gonna see if anyone had recommendations. What's the overall cost difference and what are the extra challenges and expenses that come with the extra 1 x 1, if any?

I think you need to figure out CV joints that will work at the increased angle, and a bunch of other variable suspension changes toe, camber etc.. You also need to do your own arithmetic to find the real travel you will have. More travel may not really be the most important thing. Most very long travels get very squirrelly at the extremes. Totally one off construction and so no known expenses to quote.

[quote] That also makes me wonder, I had planned on doing a 6" over beam, and 4 1/2" over arms. I can't seem to find longer front arms than 4 1/2 inches. In my mind at least, I can't imagine the mathematics of that working out to be enough. Are there front trailing arms around that would match the rear 6x6? Or would I need to go A Arms up front for that size in the rear? Thanks

Again, do some arithmetic and figure out just what will work for you. Longer coil over springs may work. Moving the lower spring mount in may or may not give you the travel you want. Changing caster may be a very big stability problem. Is this a home build? Lots of hidden engineering will be needed.

Dennis
JWHracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Off-Road suspension basic questions Reply with quote

Track width wise, a 6" wider beam typically pairs well with stock or 1.75 or 2.5 over arms with 3x3 arms in the rear. I have a 6" wider beam with 1.75 arms and 3x3s in the rear and the front and rear widths are almost identical.

The reason you don't see many brands offering arms like 6x6 etc, is because that size isn't going to be a bolt on and set up with minimal fabrication. That size of arm should be paired with a custom chassis and true dual pivot style frame. You're exceeding the limit and width of a stock torsion housing's pivot points at that size. Arms that start getting that big are usually measured by the length from the inner pivot to the centerline of the hub, IE 24", 28", 30" etc. A 3x3 arm is about 24-25".

4" front arms are the norm because anything larger than that starts having diminishing returns for the gain in travel. You start running into strength issues, steering clearance problems, and bump steer. The snouts of the arms already like to break which is why you'll find arms stepping up to a 1-3/4" pivot vs stock 37mm/1.5" pivot. Some arms are made also with 1/2" thick tubing to increase strength. 14-16" of travel is very possible with 4" arms. My car cycles 12.5" with no bump steer issues with only 1.75" arms.

We kind of need to know what your plans/goals/budget are. Drivetrain plans, type of driving you want to do, race or play, etc.

2021 STORR Pro Air Cooled Buggy Champion
2019 AZOP Unlimited Buggy Champion
2017 SADR 1300 Class Champion
2016 AZOP Limited Buggy Champion

Currently "retired" from racing
CrazyTestPilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Off-Road suspension basic questions Reply with quote

whether you choose 3x3 or 6x6 you'll be long travel in the rear. You'll want the front to be as good as the back and vw trailing arms just simply won't give good long travel performance compared to A-arms. Some people may claim otherwise but go out and ride in some a-arms cars and decide for yourself. Not even close in my book. The moral of the story is ,it would be a waste to spend the 6 or 8 grand to build a nice rear suspension if the whole car gets bottlenecked by a 70+ year old design mid-travel front end. Might as well put hyundai tires on your ferrari. That's of course just an opinion.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Off-Road suspension basic questions Reply with quote

CrazyTestPilot wrote:
whether you choose 3x3 or 6x6 you'll be long travel in the rear. You'll want the front to be as good as the back and vw trailing arms just simply won't give good long travel performance compared to A-arms. Some people may claim otherwise but go out and ride in some a-arms cars and decide for yourself. Not even close in my book. The moral of the story is ,it would be a waste to spend the 6 or 8 grand to build a nice rear suspension if the whole car gets bottlenecked by a 70+ year old design mid-travel front end. Might as well put hyundai tires on your ferrari. That's of course just an opinion.

This is where I'm at. Drives me crazy.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Off-Road suspension basic questions Reply with quote

A half assed A-arm kit is worse than that trailing arm setup tbfh. There's a reason it's hung around so long.

Unless you're willing to chop into half the front end to make some seriously long a-arms half the time the geometery ends up worse, not better.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Off-Road suspension basic questions Reply with quote

PhillipM wrote:
A half assed A-arm kit is worse than that trailing arm setup tbfh. There's a reason it's hung around so long.

Unless you're willing to chop into half the front end to make some seriously long a-arms half the time the geometery ends up worse, not better.

Yes. Chop it off and learn some geometry. If people can learn to build rear trailing arms from scratch I think front A's are not that big a deal. You gotta do your home work though, absolutely. Be ready to do some prototyping and for it to take some time. I have saved the best video I can find because I will be doing it once I get all my other more pressing projects squared away. In case anyone is interested:

Link

Link

ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Off-Road suspension basic questions Reply with quote

To say no one can beat the original VW suspension is kinda defeatist attitude if you ask me. Maybe it's not worth the investment for some people? Maybe it's overkill?

But anything's worth doing at least once!

Do. Not try.
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Off-Road suspension basic questions Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
I have saved the best video I can find because I will be doing it once I get all my other more pressing projects squared away. In case anyone is interested:

Link

To be honest that is pretty worthless, camber change is probably one of the least important factors off-road. Everyone gets fixated on it but it's one of the last things to look at just to tweak it as best you can after you fix other stuff.

You need to be working on bump steer and steer/kingpin offset first and foremost, your static trail, roll centre migration, castor change and your anti-dive geometry next, camber curve you fix last just by shuffling other stuff so it's not *awful* and if you still can't get it great crank on 3 degrees of static anyway.

It's not defeatist, it's realist, I've build many complete A-arm cars, and a half assed A-arm is worse than a good trailing arm. A trailing arm has some very good characteristics when it comes to things like wheel recession for bump absorption, etc.
Your biggest enemy with a beam is friction and I think a lot of people don't go to the effort needed to reduce it properly so the ride ends up terrible.
But hey that short set of parallel A-arms looks shinier in the photos and you can brag on the internet about it though, which is why I think most of them get built... Wink

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying to do it and end up as an actual decent upgrade over a trailing arm is a huge amount of time and effort. Don't dismiss a trailing arm just because it's old and OE (so are wishbones, lets face it)
Hell look how much work has gone into my rail and yes I've 3-4 times seriously sat down and planned it out. And then walk away, because to do it right I'd end up cutting the car in half at the front of the windscreen Laughing
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Off-Road suspension basic questions Reply with quote

Well you probably understand a lot more than I do about it. I'm not gonna act like I do. And I would agree, a-arms look a lot more impressive to most people which is probably where I come in. I can admit when I might be wrong.

We seem to have gotten away from the OP question but conversation on the Samba seems so sparse these so screw it, I'll ask anyway:

What do you think about the type of arm which has a trailing link on the front? Is this an easier format to get right? Is that why you say you would need to start back so far? Sorry I'm probably not describing it properly.

edit: I think I'm talking about multi-link?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: