Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

181 won't start
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffsThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject: 181 won't start Reply with quote

Ok have a 73 181, had a fire so replaced the wiring harness from front to back and entire engine bay. Replaced all fuel lines and vacuum lines. Replaced Pertronix system rotor and cap. Also replaced all plug wires. Rebuilt carb, Pict 3, and am now trying to get her started. carb gets fuel and squirts nicely. Coil is a new 40K flame thrower and spark is good from the coil and from the plug wires. plug wires are new. All lights work as should, car turns over as it should. Problems is it will not start. When turning over just farts occasionally. Dist was never removed so can't be out 180*. So has spark and fuel but just farts. Not even close to starting.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The dist. has vacuum advance and retard. I have the retard plugged. Plugs are clean and gapped at .025. Car ran fine before the fire. So what am I missing?
JeffsThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 181 won't start Reply with quote

more pics.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 181 won't start Reply with quote

I'd start with installing conventional points and try again. That would eliminate the Pertronix factor. Wire may be firing, but are they firing at the right time?
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 181 won't start Reply with quote

Timing??? If you are getting fuel and spark, it may be timing....

Here is a video of my EI Pertonix instal, check it out for reference... It has given me no problems and worked fine from the start... just make sure the gap is fine...

Link

JeffsThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: 181 won't start Reply with quote

Not sure how it could be timing since the Dist. was never touched or removed. I installed the Pertronix while in the car. Only thing that happened was the original wires were burned and the cap was a bit torched as well. I just changed everything to be sure. One thing that is odd is that after pumping the throttle a few times and turning it over the plugs never really get wet. The squirt is a good stream.
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 181 won't start Reply with quote

Could the heat from the fire cooked the pertronix?

It's certainly odd that the plugs don't get wet when you have a good stream from the carb.

The easiest way to remove the pertronix and timing from the list of possible issue is to shoot the carb with some starting fluid and immediately hit the starter. If the car starts and runs for a few seconds, you're looking at a fuel problem. If it doesn't start, you're looking at a timing problem.
JeffsThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 181 won't start Reply with quote

I tried shooting it with carb cleaner but nothing. I have also sent an email to Roy at Mofoco to see what his thoughts may be on it. I already had replaced the Pertronix because the wires were all cooked.
JeffsThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 181 won't start Reply with quote

I just reinstalled the old Pertronix and am getting the same thing. Still not sure why my plugs stay dry even after pumping the throttle numerous times and cranking the engine. What should I be looking for?
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 181 won't start Reply with quote

Maybe you need to recheck your carb rebuild or choke...
JeffsThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 181 won't start Reply with quote

Took the carb off again and took it apart and cleaned everything again. Still has a good squirt and no flooding issue. But still will only poop and fart with no real hint of starting. Anyone?
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 181 won't start Reply with quote

I have had that symptom with a bad coil before.
JeffsThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 181 won't start Reply with quote

ok mystery solved as for the start problem. Turned out I had bad information from the internet. Go figure! Anyway when I went to static time it being the only thing that I never touched I found out the firing order on mine was not what I had pulled off the internet. I had the #1 and #2 reversed. That also made my #3 & #4 reversed. Long story short corrected that and she started right up! Thanks to all for their suggestions. Sorry I am such as putz.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 181 won't start Reply with quote

No, you're not the putz, we are. Someone, myself included should have suggested something as simple as checking the firing order. Glad you were able to solve the problem! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: